Senton motor suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbbbbb66

I’m faster then you🥇
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Mojave
  5. Mojave EXB
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Senton 3s
  8. Talion
  9. Typhon 3s
I have a senton stock driveline with slash tires, currently running Mamba X with 3800kv castle system, every time I run overheat at least twice in 60f weather.
So I’m looking for a lower kv motor but my dilemma is should I get a cheap Rocket/Surpass motor or stay with sensored castle motor.

Please link every motor mentioned since finding things on EBay/Amazon can be spotty.

TIA

I have a senton stock driveline with slash tires, currently running Mamba X with 3800kv castle system, every time I run overheat at least twice in 60f weather.
So I’m looking for a lower kv motor but my dilemma is should I get a cheap Rocket/Surpass motor or stay with sensored castle motor.

Please link every motor mentioned since finding things on EBay/Amazon can be spotty.

TIA
I’ve had very good luck with the cheap surpass/rocket motors for the last 6 months or so. But I don’t have the money to put into expensive motors so I have nothing to compare them to. I can tell you that I have ‘accidentally’ overheated my vorteks 3665, 3050kv motor in excess of 200° more then once and it is still kicking strong. I put the 3665 and my short wheel base cars and the 3670 in my long wheel base cars simply because they fit better.

I’ve gotten them off of eBay but I prefer Amazon because we have the membership and pay for it, so I like to use it (as well as return things easy when they don’t work). You can always get one and try it. Cheap enough to overheat, throw or give away if you don’t like it.

9imod Rocket 3670 Waterproof Brushless Sensorless Motor 3050KV for 18 110 Tamiya GTR Traxxas RC Drift Racing Off-Road Car https://a.co/d/dZkgNvz

I’ve had very good luck with the cheap surpass/rocket motors for the last 6 months or so. But I don’t have the money to put into expensive motors so I have nothing to compare them to. I can tell you that I have ‘accidentally’ overheated my vorteks 3665, 3050kv motor in excess of 200° more then once and it is still kicking strong. I put the 3665 and my short wheel base cars and the 3670 in my long wheel base cars simply because they fit better.

I’ve gotten them off of eBay but I prefer Amazon because we have the membership and pay for it, so I like to use it (as well as return things easy when they don’t work). You can always get one and try it. Cheap enough to overheat, throw or give away if you don’t like it.

9imod Rocket 3670 Waterproof Brushless Sensorless Motor 3050KV for 18 110 Tamiya GTR Traxxas RC Drift Racing Off-Road Car https://a.co/d/dZkgNvz
Thanks Doug!

What pinion size would you recommend for that motor ?

TIA

What gearing you running right now?
Just may just need a smaller pinion now??:unsure: Drop it 2 teeth. Evaluate from there. Much cheaper than revamping your motor. And better cooling solutions might help. Also depends how you drive, along with higher ambient air temps.

Also, are you sure you have the best ESC parameter setup with that ESC?
What are your ESC settings currently??

Went through your same dilemma, ended up dropping to 2400 upped gearing. Doesn’t get over 100, just ran some races on a 85° Day. Nothing beats sensored😆
Okay, I will consider the 2400kv Castle then.
What gearing you running right now?
Just may need a smaller pinion now??:unsure:
And better cooling solutions. Also depends how you drive along with higher ambient air temps.
15/57 and ambient temp was 60ish.

50mm Hobbywing heat sink and fan.

If you never considered dropping Timing and Punch, try that first. Evaluate with Temp gun in hand. I always take air temp reads first, before I start. For reference.
Get a 13T pinion. I don't know what you have tried so far , but if you never considered gearing, try that first. How it is done. Seems you have given up on the motor too fast?? 3800kv is on the high side, no doubt. But I feel is doable. Keep the motor's BB's clean/ well oiled.
Also, going to a cheaper Non Sensored Motor kind of defeats the whole purpose of the CC MMX. Sensored setups rule.
Just me. :cool:

Edited.

Last edited:
If you never considered dropping Timing and Punch, try that first. Evaluate with Temp gun in hand. I always take air temp reads first, before I start. For reference.
Never played with those variables before, I will try if I can get my PC running again.

Thanks Doug!

What pinion size would you recommend for that motor ?

TIA
I run an 18 but that only adds to my heat issues. Should put 17 or even 16t on but I rather like the speed. If my new fan set ups don’t help I’ll have to gear down.

Last edited:
After perusing the castle website, if I'm looking at the right one, that looks like essentially a 3650 motor, and castle thinks it's good for 6.5 lb rigs but only on 2s. A motor of 3660 size or larger would probably fit the bill. Unless you're really enjoying the sensored aspect, i'd agree with above posters that a surpass or rocket 3660 or 3670 with appropriate KV and gearing would be the right fit!

After perusing the castle website, if I'm looking at the right one, that looks like essentially a 3650 motor, and castle thinks it's good for 6.5 lb rigs but only on 2s. A motor of 3660 size or larger would probably fit the bill. Unless you're really enjoying the sensored aspect, i'd agree with above posters that a surpass or rocket 3660 or 3670 with appropriate KV and gearing would be the right fit!
Okay, saving coin is always a priority.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back