Tp 4070 2250kv Heat Sink and Fan suggestions??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tatebowman124

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
I have newly acquired a TP motor and I am now looking for a fan setup and heat sink. I want the best i can buy to protect my goodies. Does anyone have any suggestions? This is for my Infraction build.

Hey there,

What you want is something like this, but don't put a heatsink on it. That can potentially increase the heat soak at the core and prevent the fans from moving the heat away from the motor.
https://islandhobbynut.com/products/ironmanrc-blue-1-8-1515-dual-dynasty-hv-motor-fans
1709568521425.png

Agreed, on speed runners I just run a fan that blows across the motor and works fine.
Likewise. With a setup similar to that I can get my motor from 65°C down to 40°C in about 60-90 seconds.
bought. Thank you so much
Anytime. Just checking but, you saw that you'll need a 2-3 battery for it, correct? If you don't want a separate battery, you can run these off the balance lead of one of your primary batteries. You'd just need to make an adapter or see about buying one at Amazon or something like that.

https://www.radiocontrolpower.com/p...-bracket-with-40x28-fans-aluminum-mesh-covers

I think this is a better option than the one Diem linked but its more expensive. Doesn't need a seperate battery and can plug into front port of hw esc's and for castle escs you need to plug it into the rx. It uses 8 volts and pushes extreme air as its higher amp than any other fan I've seen. I hate spending 60$ on them but they are my go to when it comes to on road rigs. The difference in cooling is just too great and these fans are the reason I can gear higher than others and not worry about heat while i'm bashing. I used to use seperate 3s lipos on my other fans before I found these.

I know the op already bought the other fans but I figured I'd post this anyway incase someone else finds this thread and needs similar.

I personally don't think a heatsink works on a smooth or finned can motor as well as people think... I've changed all our cars over to fans mounted 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch elevated off the motor with no heatsink and haven't had any problems... no matter how well the heatsink fits the can, it still has a tiny air gap between it and the motor can, which essentially defeats the purpose... I used thermal paste between a heatsink and motor in the past,and that seemed to help, but it's just a mess and another thing to have to worry about. As previously stated, the fan blowing across the can is optimal, even for bashing imo

Why no heatsink on a smooth can motor?

That makes sense for finned cans but it seems like it would work well on smooth cans.
You would think so but, if you've ever built a desktop PC you know that getting a good contact between two metal objects isn't as straight forward as it seems because, what appear to be smooth surfaces really aren't on a microscopic scale and in reality the two objects are probably barely touching on just a few small spots. I mean making real surface to surface contact (unless you're a machinist and have the equipment to properly lap a surface to within a few microns two metal surfaces barely make any contact at all). This is just my assessment and if your instincts tell you something different, do what you think is right but, as I see it, all you're really doing with that heat sink is trapping a boundary layer of air between the can and the heat sink and, as I'm sure everyone is aware, air is a fantastic conductor....I'm kidding of course. It's a great insulator and I just don't think you get good heat transfer from the motor to heatsink. I had considered putting a thin film of a good thermal compound on a motor in the past to bridge the gap, so to speak but I realized that making single passes speed running, the motor never gets hot enough to even warrant a fan so I got rid of them altogether.

I personally don't think a heatsink works on a smooth or finned can motor as well as people think... I've changed all our cars over to fans mounted 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch elevated off the motor with no heatsink and haven't had any problems... no matter how well the heatsink fits the can, it still has a tiny air gap between it and the motor can, which essentially defeats the purpose... I used thermal paste between a heatsink and motor in the past,and that seemed to help, but it's just a mess and another thing to have to worry about. As previously stated, the fan blowing across the can is optimal, even for bashing imo
GMTA.

I was so dumbfounded when I realized my whole rig acts as a heatsink for the motor. At least for my MCD and Rovan rigs! First time I picked up the rig after a run and put it on my back to carry it back up and felt heat on my back I had a fat wtf on my face. Motor transferred heat to the motor mount which transferred it to the chassis. Blew my mind how hot it made the chassis :eek::ROFLMAO:

https://www.radiocontrolpower.com/p...-bracket-with-40x28-fans-aluminum-mesh-covers

I think this is a better option than the one Diem linked but its more expensive. Doesn't need a seperate battery and can plug into front port of hw esc's and for castle escs you need to plug it into the rx. It uses 8 volts and pushes extreme air as its higher amp than any other fan I've seen. I hate spending 60$ on them but they are my go to when it comes to on road rigs. The difference in cooling is just too great and these fans are the reason I can gear higher than others and not worry about heat while i'm bashing. I used to use seperate 3s lipos on my other fans before I found these.

I know the op already bought the other fans but I figured I'd post this anyway incase someone else finds this thread and needs similar.
might just buy this one too. lol

do you know what connector i would need to plug into the receiver? it is the XLX2

I much prefer running them off a battery personally. Most BECs can't provide the voltage as most don't go much over 8V and they're 12V fans. But that's just me.

I much prefer running them off a battery personally. Most BECs can't provide the voltage as most don't go much over 8V and they're 12V fans. But that's just me.
Normally I would agree with you but the fans that I linked are 8v fans and not 12. They lowered the volts and increased the amps, check out the link! they're actually really good and provide no less air than the 12v fans on 3s lipo. 28 cfm on 8v :cool: (y)

Normally I would agree with you but the fans that I linked are 8v fans and not 12. They lowered the volts and increased the amps, check out the link! they're actually really good and provide no less air than the 12v fans on 3s lipo. 28 cfm on 8v :cool: (y)
Does the stock BEC provide enough current for those fans, big servo, etc.?

It depends. If you have the Aux lead connected on an XLX2, it can provide up to 20A off the BEC. 8A without it which is probably not leaving you much headroom, if any.

Went ahead and bought both.

Never had a problem on either xlx2, max 4 or max 5 g2. I actually have them in a lot of rigs. All my mcd/rovan/arrma 8s/dbxl/xrts/limitless/infraction/felonies gawd damn I've spent a lot on these fans :eek: :ROFLMAO:

It depends. If you have the Aux lead connected on an XLX2, it can provide up to 20A off the BEC. 8A without it which is probably not leaving you much headroom, if any.
The xlx2 instructions tells you to plug in the aux so I've always done it. I love the ability to control an esc function through it as well. :cool:

Never had a problem on either xlx2, max 4 or max 5 g2. I actually have them in a lot of rigs. All my mcd/rovan/arrma 8s/dbxl/xrts/limitless/infraction/felonies gawd damn I've spent a lot on these fans :eek: :ROFLMAO:

The xlx2 instructions tells you to plug in the aux so I've always done it. I love the ability to control an esc function through it as well. :cool:
aux on the esc? or aux on receiver?

aux on the esc? or aux on receiver?
the xlx2 has 2 cables that you need to plug into the rx. Other esc's only have 1 cable. The 2nd cable is the aux cable and it apparently allows you to get more amps to the built in bec and also allows u to set up an esc function on your radio. For example, I use a radiolink radio and I have the "max power" esc setting bound to a dial on my radio. Basically acts like a throttle limiter in case I want to hand the radio off to someone else or I just don't want full power.

Once you read the lil instruction booklet you will understand

Back