Newbie here! Question about ESC/bec connections.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junebug74

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon all! This forum was part of the reason we choose to get the Vorteks vs others.
My son was wanting to clean up his rig and inadvertently disconnected the JST connectors from the BEC. I thought it seemed self explanatory, however the throttle isn't responding when plugged into the THR port. Any help is appreciated!!
PXL_20230626_221853479.jpg

Welcome to the forum! The black (or darkest wire) goes on the outside side of the receiver for all connections. It’s easy to reverse them, and they just won’t work when plugged in backwards. Ground almost always goes to the outside on virtually any brand of RX.
Its possible you will need to go through the calibration sequence again, and/or re-bind it if is new or from a different truck.

Check your throttle trim on the Remote and make sure it's in the middle/centered ,then plug in the ESC wire to the throttle on the receiver and power up the car.

Roger that! I see a JST on the receiver as well. Is that where the motor fan goes?

Thanks!
The picture you posted is of your receiver, or RX. That’s not a BEC, the BEC in inside the ESC and powers the receiver through the ESC/throttle channel. The fan for the ESC plugs into the ESC JST plug by the cables. Motor fans (or lights) can be plugged into any Aux plug on the receiver.

Okay, steering is working. The JST on the blue motor lead? I'm not sure where that one goes

Still a no go. I'm looking at the manual now.
Your manual has a schematic.
Okay, the manual explains which one is throttle, steering, etc. The same is labeled on the receiver. It doesn't show me what connector is the throttle..is it the one from the ESC, or from the blue motor wire.

Thank you Busted! Trying that now.
Progress! Both fans are running, steering works, but throttle isn't responding...

View attachment 308035
Go through the throttle calibration sequence with the radio again.
And just to be clear:
Servo goes on steering channel,
ESC goes on throttle channel,
motor fans can go on any aux port. What‘s plugged into your first aux channel now?

Last edited:
Okay, went through calibration, I received the single beep and green light flash in neutral, step two, while pulling throttle and hitting the set button doesn't provide any sound or flash. I tried it several times...bad controller perhaps?
Decided to order the Hobbywing Max10 G2, and the 3665 motor per forum search. Thanks for all the help! If anyone wants the old motor and electronics let me know.

Last edited:
Ok, but a new ESC combo won’t necessarily correct the issue you’re having. If it is indeed a failure, it could be either the receiver or a bad steering servo, even if you have steering. It’s a common thing. Unplug the servo and see if it calibrates. If it does, you can buy a cheap servo to replace it and not an expensive ESC/motor combo. Some have said it’s taken them a few tries to get it to calibrate. Make sure the throttle trim knob on the radio is in the center and the power mode is at 100% when calibrating. I’d still double check everything. It doesn’t sound like you’re completely comfortable with the wiring.

Thank you Dan. I tried, but no luck. The receiver light indicates when I hit reverse during calibration, but not forward with trim in neutral. I opened up the programming box but it's stuck on connecting ESC

PXL_20230627_013615255.jpg

Ordered! It will be here between 7AM and noon. Thanks again, hopefully I don't struggle as bad on this install!

Ordered! It will be here between 7AM and noon. Thanks again, hopefully I don't struggle as bad on this install!
Cool, you’ll like it. Give us a shout if you need any info when swapping your electronics. Good luck!
Which KV 3665 did you order? It makes a difference when you’re choosing gearing. Might want to pick up a few pinions anyway.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back