Should be worried about this lipo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dadlifex3

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
A few weeks ago I had a curb jump out in front of my Typhon and did some damage. I’ve since repaired it and took it out yesterday.

As you can see it was a pretty hard hit and totaled the front.

The battery charged just fine after the accident when I went out yesterday. Typhon ram just fine. Charging the battery now to go back out and it’s taking forever for the 1st cell to balance. It was on 4.16 for quite some time. Should be worried or good to go since it did balance out correctly across all cells just now?

9ABCC709-AF61-424C-90B9-B691680EE89A.jpeg

DF73E242-2A95-4F3F-A93F-A8EC40FF1EC8.jpeg

0FDCA2E2-F72D-450F-9A89-21ECCC7BA689.jpeg

I currently have a battery that is really similar to this. The first cell always take the longest to charge and it always ends a run at a lower voltage than the other 5 cells. I've been kind of scared to use it and debating just doing the salt water thing and tossing it.

Does your charger have the ability to test the IR of the batteries cells? That's usually the best indicator for battery health. Long charging times are usually an indication that the charger is having a tough time balancing the cells due to varied cell internal resistance. There are some general rule of thumbs i've seen for IR, but nothing published. If the IR of the cells is over 10 mOhms on any of the cells, or if the IR on any one cell is more than double another. But it would probably be best to get actual numbers before determining anything.

I did something similar at 83 into a giant plow blade on the side of my speed run road which is the access road to the local dpw. I still have to finish fixing it, I’m a procrastinator and had 3 other cars to play with 😂
Its gone now but it was this size,
076EBDF2-8E47-4121-994F-C1D22B48268F.jpeg

Does your charger have the ability to test the IR of the batteries cells? That's usually the best indicator for battery health. Long charging times are usually an indication that the charger is having a tough time balancing the cells due to varied cell internal resistance. There are some general rule of thumbs i've seen for IR, but nothing published. If the IR of the cells is over 10 mOhms on any of the cells, or if the IR on any one cell is more than double another. But it would probably be best to get actual numbers before determining anything.
I am not sure. I’ll check the manual and see. Thank you for the tip.

I own this charger, and I like it ....but I didn't know if it could measure the IR....so.....

I looked it up online.....and....

No it apparently does not

Got ya. Thank you for looking into that.

Just got back from running it and it ran perfectly fine. The 1st cell is 3.8 and the others were 3.9.

It’s on the charger now.

Got ya. Thank you for looking into that.

Just got back from running it and it ran perfectly fine. The 1st cell is 3.8 and the others were 3.9.

It’s on the charger now.
For me , personally.....0.1 is not much of a difference....

Would consider duct tape as close to original dimension....

Always always watch while charging....any bulging....
Immediately stop and dispose of properly....

For me , personally.....0.1 is not much of a difference....

Would consider duct tape as close to original dimension....

Always always watch while charging....any bulging....
Immediately stop and dispose of properly....
Yeah I plan to keep running it for now and continue to monitor the volts.

Not sure this is one will be salvageable. What do y’all think?

Since the last post I’ve had about 3-4 complete runs. But the voltage you see in the picture below is after a 5-10 minute run before I had to stop. Have not tried to balance charge it yet. When I tried to balance it for yesterdays run it took like 3-4 hours to balance out and the 1st cell was still at 4.15 and the others were at 4.20. Looks like it might have a little swelling too but not terrible.

A868D470-A151-44E9-94DC-E1801233889F.jpeg

78632CA3-2BC5-4D8C-9879-FCED45E26E40.jpeg

Tried to charge it up today and the first cell would only charge to 4.15. Just took it out and it preformed fine. Thinking it’s toast or should I try and charge at a lower Mah?

Edit: yeah the first cell is reading 3.08 and the other five are 3.72 or 3.74 after settling for a bit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back