Anything I should know about charging high voltage Lipo packs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dales396lt4

Very Active Member
Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Kraton 4s
  8. Outcast 8s
  9. Outcast EXB
  10. Vendetta
  11. Voltage
  12. Infraction 4x4
I was looking at getting two high voltage 4S battery packs but I’m not sure how to charge them. Normal for us isn’t 15.2, but 14.8 anything I need to know about charging to the 15.2?

It’s pretty simple - just charge to 4.35V per cell. Be sure to change your charge setting back to 4.20V for your other normal batteries.

Why do you want high voltage packs?

I was looking at getting two high voltage 4S battery packs but I’m not sure how to charge them. Normal for us isn’t 15.2, but 14.8 anything I need to know about charging to the 15.2?
You can just charge them to 14.8v I think I have heard they’ll last longer. I have owned a few and the difference ain’t that much either way. If you want the extra volts just set your charger to LiHV. They really ain’t worth the trouble in my opinion. I had to try it though lol 😂!!

First of all, you'd need to verify your charger can charge beyond 4.2v per cell (such as a HV lipo setting). Second, even on "HV" packs, charging beyond 4.2v per cell it will decrease pack life. Always charge to voltage on a per cell basis, not a total pack voltage. Also, you should storage charge any lipo (even HV ones) at 3.8v per cell.

IMO, better performance can be had by buying a good set of lipos with a better discharge curve (they stay at higher voltage longer) than by specifically buying HV packs.

These HV lipos have a very short lifespan. More meant for racing from what I've read...

Also, you should storage charge any lipo (even HV ones) at 3.8v per cell.

Storage voltage for LiHv is 3.85V.

Screenshot 2024-02-02 155959.jpg

Advantage is less weight for same capacity also slightly higher voltage during initial use i.e. higher motor RPM. this will fizzle away after 30s or so.
Weight advantage will stay the same though.
a) charger has to be capable with a HV mode
b) make sure your ESC can handle it, some will shut off due to over-voltage and all this goodness comes to a screeching halt

Rest is the same.

Doesn’t seem to be much of an advantage for my situation. I was going to put them in my limitless. The limitless has a max five and is capable of 12 S I don’t think it would be a problem for the ESC. My 20 year old Hyperion doesn’t seem to be able to charge that high anyway, I just don’t know how to do it. I have two other charges that I could look at. It just doesn’t seem to be worth it to me. Moving on!

my understanding there is no difference between lipo and hv-lipo.
the hvlipos are presumably better quality components that don't degrade as quickly.
a great quality lipo is likely just the same as a hvlipo.

the hvlipos are presumably better quality components that don't degrade as quickly.
Got a source? That doesn’t sound right to me.

Got a source? That doesn’t sound right to me.
vague recollection, as stated.
pro tip; learn to fish

though suppose my best simply put argument is they share the same name reflecting the chemistry which determines the voltage.

That's just BS...

Back