Question about storing a LiPo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RubberDuk18

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I'm new to LiPos and just got one. My LiPo charger doesn't have a storage mode. Should I get my battery as close to 3.8v as possible (my lipo is 2 cell and can only hold 7.4v total)?

Each cell should be 3.8, not the cumulative cells. If you set your low voltage cutoff (LVC) lower than that in your ESC you could always monitor the voltage and charge them back up to 3.8v per cell, which doesn’t take very long.

I would buy a decent charger as soon as possible. It is a necessity, not a recommendation, to ensure lipos are at storage voltage levels while not in use.
^^ This. You can get a good charger relatively cheap, and it will save you money in the long run, by saving making your batteries last longer, and is way safer. Also, buy a steel ammo can off of Amazon, cut part of the rubber seal out of the lid, and store the battery in there when not in use.

Or a Bat box that's designed to deal with the heat and not light the surrounding area on fire.
Bat Box

+1 on getting a proper balance charger

^^ This. You can get a good charger relatively cheap, and it will save you money in the long run, by saving making your batteries last longer, and is way safer. Also, buy a steel ammo can off of Amazon, cut part of the rubber seal out of the lid, and store the battery in there when not in use.
Ammo boxes are $19.98 on Amazon. I recently added another one for LiPo storage: it's cheap insurance against fire.

Not many people know this but there is a fire extinguisher that works on LiPos. It's available at Amain. I keep one in my LiPo charging area, even though I use a Bat-Safe for charging.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/4fire-...suppression-system-13.5oz-frf-fsplus/p1512854

Each cell should be 3.8, not the cumulative cells. If you set your low voltage cutoff (LVC) lower than that in your ESC you could always monitor the voltage and charge them back up to 3.8v per cell, which doesn’t take very long.
Well if the battery has a max capacity of 7.4v, then do I just fully charge it?

Cells should be charge to 4.2v / cell or 8.4v total for a 2s pack. The 7.4v is considered the nominal voltage.

Well if the battery has a max capacity of 7.4v, then do I just fully charge it?
A fully charged LiPo cell is 4.2 volts, nominal charge (resting) is 3.7 volts and low is 3.0v. So a 2S (two cell) LiPo has 3.7v x 2 or 7.4v nominal charge. The Balance chargers keep the cells even with each other to reduce strain and extend the life of the battery. Storage charging puts the cells at around 3.8 (nominal or safe resting voltage for long term storage) It's a very small operating window between a fully charged "hot" battery at 4.2v/cell and a dead 3.0v/cell battery. LiPo's can go sideways relatively easily and once the chemical balance is off they'll buldge and pop and the chemicals inside will combust and continue burning until there is no fuel left. It's best to get a proper charger and let it manage the batteries.

A fully charged LiPo cell is 4.2 volts, nominal charge (resting) is 3.7 volts and low is 3.0v. So a 2S (two cell) LiPo has 3.7v x 2 or 7.4v nominal charge. The Balance chargers keep the cells even with each other to reduce strain and extend the life of the battery. Storage charging puts the cells at around 3.8 (nominal or safe resting voltage for long term storage) It's a very small operating window between a fully charged "hot" battery at 4.2v/cell and a dead 3.0v/cell battery. LiPo's can go sideways relatively easily and once the chemical balance is off they'll buldge and pop and the chemicals inside will combust and continue burning until there is no fuel left. It's best to get a proper charger and let it manage the batteries.
So if storing it, I should get it as close to 3.8 volts per cell or 7.6 for the whole battery?

So if storing it, I should get it as close to 3.8 volts per cell or 7.6 for the whole battery?
Your charger should show the voltage on each cell individually and you want to land at 3.8 for storage. If it's combining the cell voltage, you'll have no way to determine if the cells are balanced.

Your charger should show the voltage on each cell individually and you want to land at 3.8 for storage. If it's combining the cell voltage, you'll have no way to determine if the cells are balanced.
My charger is a cheaper one so it doesn't have anything to tell me what the voltage is. But I do have a way to see the total voltage in the battery. My battery has a cord that communicates to the charger to make sure it's balanced.

My charger is a cheaper one so it doesn't have anything to tell me what the voltage is. But I do have a way to see the total voltage in the battery. My battery has a cord that communicates to the charger to make sure it's balanced.
I would strongly recommend a quick trip to the local hobby shop to buy a proper charger. If you need to do it the rough way, the battery is relatively new, so unlikely to have bad imbalance, so yes, you could run it down until the combined voltage is 7.4-7.6 for a 2S battery

I would strongly recommend a quick trip to the local hobby shop to buy a proper charger. If you need to do it the rough way, the battery is relatively new, so unlikely to have bad imbalance, so yes, you could run it down until the combined voltage is 7.4-7.6 for a 2S battery
👍

@RubberDuk18 Based on the questions you’re asking I’d really recommend watching some YouTube vids on safe LiPo use and storage. This will give an understanding of the basics and the dangers. And definitely take the advice of the above posts and buy a decent charger. It doesn’t have to break the bank, but virtually all will have a storage mode. Just because your charger has a balance board doesn’t mean your cells match, and with no way to check your battery you’re in potentially dangerous territory, or at least shortening the life of your LiPo’s. LiPo fires are no joke, man. Not trying to scare you, but in reality everyone needs to have a good understanding and a healthy respect of them,
A proper charger and safe system of storing them are mandatory “first buys” when you get into this hobby.

@RubberDuk18 Based on the questions you’re asking I’d really recommend watching some YouTube vids on safe LiPo use and storage. This will give an understanding of the basics and the dangers. And definitely take the advice of the above posts and buy a decent charger. It doesn’t have to break the bank, but virtually all will have a storage mode. Just because your charger has a balance board doesn’t mean your cells match, and with no way to check your battery you’re in potentially dangerous territory, or at least shortening the life of your LiPo’s. LiPo fires are no joke, man. Not trying to scare you, but in reality everyone needs to have a good understanding and a healthy respect of them,
A proper charger and safe system of storing them are mandatory “first buys” when you get into this hobby.
Will do

Back