Kraton Should I jump on it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy in WI

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Typhon 3s
There's a guy near me selling a V2 and a V3 Kraton for $300 each. He tells me it has about $400 into extras on both. Should I be hot after one of these? I've never owned a car of this caliber, and I fear I would be in over my "expertise". That, and I wouldn't know what to look for to figure out if it's a lemon. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 00W0W_4HaKigd2M18_600x450.jpg
    00W0W_4HaKigd2M18_600x450.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 00b0b_jp0HqZeY1I1_600x450.jpg
    00b0b_jp0HqZeY1I1_600x450.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 55
There's a guy near me selling a V2 and a V3 Kraton for $300 each. He tells me it has about $400 into extras on both. Should I be hot after one of these? I've never owned a car of this caliber, and I fear I would be in over my "expertise". That, and I wouldn't know what to look for to figure out if it's a lemon. Any thoughts?
I wouldn't worry about being over your "expertise". The Arrma 1/8 scales are easy to work on after you get past the loctite that Arrma puts on. The thing with going to 1/8 scale is the larger batteries and chargers with 4s and 6s. I would really recommend starting with 4s until you get the hang of it though. Do you know what the $400 in upgrades all consists of and do you have any pictures of them with the bodies off?

That's all he had posted on Craigslist. He said he upgraded the v2 to basically a v3, and then some. I have hard time grabbing a used car that I know nothing about, including its history. I would think the v3 would be 1st pick, since it's newer. Is there any draw to the v2 over the v3? Is 300 a good deal? I don't know what the used market supports.

That's all he had posted on Craigslist. He said he upgraded the v2 to basically a v3, and then some. I have hard time grabbing a used car that I know nothing about, including its history. I would think the v3 would be 1st pick, since it's newer. Is there any draw to the v2 over the v3? Is 300 a good deal? I don't know what the used market supports.
Yeah I hear you about knowing the cars history but if the Kraton is $500 and he has another $400 in upgrades, you are getting a $900 car for $300 and at that point it saves a bunch to get used over new. I think that it's a good enough deal to go used over new, but that's me. I agree though that I would go with the V3 over the V2 if they have the same upgrades and are the same price though.

If a deal is too good to be true then it probably isn't. Call me cynical, but that's the way I always look at things. The only way I would ever buy a used RC is if I went through eBay and had some sort of purchase protection. Craigslist? No way unless I could go visually inspect the vehicle before I bought it.

If a deal is too good to be true then it probably isn't. Call me cynical, but that's the way I always look at things. The only way I would ever buy a used RC is if I went through eBay and had some sort of purchase protection. Craigslist? No way unless I could go visually inspect the vehicle before I bought it.
I forgot to mention to inspect it and test it out to make sure it works before buying through Craigslist as I assume that everybody does that since I always do. Thank you for catching that.

Oh, I would definitely run it before I bought It. I just talked to the guy, and he's selling off a bunch of cars and moving about 4 hours away for work purposes. And apparently I misunderstood him, and he only has about 200 into each car, totalling 400. He has most of that into the steering components on the v3, and a portion was bearings. He also offered to throw in a new unpainted body and a set of trenchers (3.8"?). He then proceeded to talk about launching the car off some serious jumps and running it at a nearby beach... This makes me nervous with sand wear and tear. I don't know if I trust used rc... It seems like a gamble with quite a bit of risk as the buyer. I dunno... I think I'm going to force myself to look away... But man it could be fun... I really wish my money tree would start growing!

Oh, I would definitely run it before I bought It. I just talked to the guy, and he's selling off a bunch of cars and moving about 4 hours away for work purposes. And apparently I misunderstood him, and he only has about 200 into each car, totalling 400. He has most of that into the steering components on the v3, and a portion was bearings. He also offered to throw in a new unpainted body and a set of trenchers (3.8"?). He then proceeded to talk about launching the car off some serious jumps and running it at a nearby beach... This makes me nervous with sand wear and tear. I don't know if I trust used rc... It seems like a gamble with quite a bit of risk as the buyer. I dunno... I think I'm going to force myself to look away... But man it could be fun... I really wish my money tree would start growing!

That's why I wouldn't buy a used RC, lol. I know how I drive mine and I am hard on them. I always fix my trucks when I break them and I take care of them. But I am not afraid to send them as far as I can and they don't always land on all fours :D. If you take a pass on these, I would strongly suggest saving your money and getting a new Kraton in the future. It is such an awesome truck that you can beat the living hell out of and it basically takes it all you can give. And it's fast and just a ton of fun to drive.

I officially let him know I'm gonna pass. If I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna start new and know what I'm getting in to. I've never been good at impulse buys, it hurts my brain. Just because it's available doesn't mean I need it. Thanks for the input on this one. You guys are the best!

I officially let him know I'm gonna pass. If I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna start new and know what I'm getting in to. I've never been good at impulse buys, it hurts my brain. Just because it's available doesn't mean I need it. Thanks for the input on this one. You guys are the best!
The important thing is that you are making the decision that is making you the most comfortable and this way there is no second guessing if you made the right decision or not. If you are ever on my side of state border, let me know and you can test drive a Senton, Typhon and Kraton as well as a couple of Technos.

The important thing is that you are making the decision that is making you the most comfortable and this way there is no second guessing if you made the right decision or not. If you are ever on my side of state border, let me know and you can test drive a Senton, Typhon and Kraton as well as a couple of Technos.
Thanks brother! I don't get out that way often, but there is a campground south of prairie du chein that we visit sometimes. What are the odds of you living in the South East corner of the state? Otherwise I might have to pick your brain sometime about campgrounds out there. I've heard it's beautiful, but I don't want to drag a camper 6 or 7 hours without knowing I'm aiming for a good place!

Thanks brother! I don't get out that way often, but there is a campground south of prairie du chein that we visit sometimes. What are the odds of you living in the South East corner of the state? Otherwise I might have to pick your brain sometime about campgrounds out there. I've heard it's beautiful, but I don't want to drag a camper 6 or 7 hours without knowing I'm aiming for a good place!
No, I live more in central Minnesota, west of the Twin Cities. Unfortunately, I won't really be of any help for sights or campgrounds around my area as we don't really do any camping. And yeah that is a long way to pull a camper without knowing that you are going to a good, fun place.

Last edited:
Someone should start a series of threads with all different states and locations to give people a chance to catch up with each other. It seems like it could be fun to get together with some of these guys and break something! And maybe have a beer or 2...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back