Infraction Skid Plates Needed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arise0185

Rig of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave EXB
I'm (im)patiently awaiting the arrival of my first 6s AND first on-road rig (Infraction v2). I already have some scorched fenders on order, as I've read those are very helpful at keeping the road grime buildup to a minimum.

I am very much on the fence about skid plates. I plan on driving this car on just about every surface imaginable, not just pavement. So i imagine the anodized chassis plate will get very scratched up regardless of whether or not I have a few small pieces of metal that are sitting a couple millimeters proud of the chassis. If I cared about aesthetics of the chassis, i would probably just order a sticker-type chassis skin.

Do the skid plates perhaps serve some other function other than protecting the cosmetics of the underside? Have people had issues with the screw heads getting ground down from the pavement, etc?

I saw the note on the Scorched website warning that the skid plates could get ripped out if caught on a sharp edge, and this was part of the deterrent for me. Almost seems better to have the underside be nice and smooth so it can glide over the rough stuff, instead of getting hung up. But this is all just speculation at this point.

They do make sparks :D

Keep in mind the ground clearance is so low it's really only usable on flat surfaces.
Haha yes, I should have said "within reason." I have some smooth dirt lots nearby I'm looking forward to trying out, in addition to many wise open asphalt parking lots. And soon-to-be plowed parking lots once the snow hits.

Sparks are a definite upside, yes :)

I don’t use skid plates on my infraction. The benefit isn’t worth the loss of ground clearance IMO. Chassis scratches don’t hurt anybody.

Thanks, that's the way I'm leaning as well

I'm (im)patiently awaiting the arrival of my first 6s AND first on-road rig (Infraction v2). I already have some scorched fenders on order, as I've read those are very helpful at keeping the road grime buildup to a minimum.

I am very much on the fence about skid plates. I plan on driving this car on just about every surface imaginable, not just pavement. So i imagine the anodized chassis plate will get very scratched up regardless of whether or not I have a few small pieces of metal that are sitting a couple millimeters proud of the chassis. If I cared about aesthetics of the chassis, i would probably just order a sticker-type chassis skin.

Do the skid plates perhaps serve some other function other than protecting the cosmetics of the underside? Have people had issues with the screw heads getting ground down from the pavement, etc?

I saw the note on the Scorched website warning that the skid plates could get ripped out if caught on a sharp edge, and this was part of the deterrent for me. Almost seems better to have the underside be nice and smooth so it can glide over the rough stuff, instead of getting hung up. But this is all just speculation at this point.

Excellent replies

I run skid plates on my Infraction 6S, which had nothing to do with looks, sparks, or keeping the chassis from scratches.

Simply for my to protect my chassis screws from getting grinded down where I could not get a hex driver in the screw to remove them. WORKS, for me.

I bash/drift my Infraction only on smooth parking lots with good asphalt. Yet it still has dips and unlevel areas where the chassis will kiss the ground. I like a raked stance, and I do have stiffer springs in the front and well-tuned suspension droop adjustments, shocks, etc. Even with that, ground clearance was not an issue.

Issue I sweep so wide and side drift that the chassis will kiss the ground as it dips in the front during the drift...so the skid plates for me protect those screws but do not hinder performance while keeping a nice stance for air to go over the front. Yes, I could leave it at stock height. No, it does not work for me does for most all.

Totally agree with the others...based on how and where I bash, although butter smooth surface, they provide valuable protection for my finder area chassis screws. If the chassis had deeper counter-sink holes, I would not need them.

Bash on! (y)

It's those screws in red it protects and those DAMN damns I added to keep trash out screws...only skid I really need is that one in red

1697256894344.png

Like this stance and look works for me...not all as posted
1697257093544.png

1697257118830.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back