Sleeving your plastic diff case

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hector_Fisher

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton EXB
I first identified the problem with my Bullet's plastic diff cases. The plastic side where the drive cup exits would wallow out, creating big enough gaps for the internal diff fluid to leak by. Went through half a dozen diff cases that leaked out all of the diff fluid to figure out the same thing was going to keep happening and that I needed a long term, durable solution.

After purchasing a few types of tubing off the webs, I found steel capillary tubing is much truer to spec than other types of tubing. It has a very good fit with my 5mm drive cup shafts. For my case I used 5mm ID with 1mm wall thickness tubing. The sleeve is only about 5mm long, so it doesn't affect the internals of the diff. Also, most diff spurs are steel, so it would match what the other drive cup was experiencing.

The process:
Drilled out the old hole in the plastic diff case. Didn't drill all the way through on the second diff as i wanted to leave the o-ring seating surface untouched to see if it performs better than the first or if it affects service life of the o-ring in any way. Used a two part epoxy to secure the full length tube in. Once cured, I cut off the unused tube length and ground a good inside chamfer and polished the ends til they were smooth to the touch. The trick is to make sure you don't use excessive epoxy so that it "squishes" out into the tubing and to try not to mess with any o-ring seating surfaces.

First diff had already held up fine to about 10 packs. Absolutely no leaking. Very pleased with the results, and I'll try to update with either diff if I run into any issues.

20220909_210551.jpg

20220909_212052.jpg

20220909_205537.jpg

20220909_205516.jpg

20220909_212520.jpg

How to you make the hole larger in the cup? You best make sure that it was done correctly or else you’ll suffer premature wear or breakage

I used a 9/32 inch drill bit, slightly larger than 7mm OD of the tube. Didn't need to be truly centered because the epoxy filled in the gaps and when I was letting the epoxy set for the new sleeve, I ran a 5mm rod down the center of the spur and sleeve to line everything up.

Honestly, as far as durability goes, it's lasted longer than the stock diff cases without leaking. So I think I'd be fine if there is premature failure. But overall, the sleeves don't really see any sort of significant force. They just keep the diff outdrive and drive shaft centered. So I'm not really expecting any trouble.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back