Outcast Slipping gears outcast 6s exb

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kartracer93

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Newer to RC first ARMMA product. my 6s exb outcast is slipping I’ve checked the diffs seem to be fine I think it’s the center diff and I need to shim it I’m not entirely sure how that needs to be done I feel like I’m over thinking it any help would be great thanks

Can you be more specific?
What do you mean by “slipping gears”?
How did you check the diffs?
Why do you think center is the issue?

Need to isolate which gears are slipping. If Unsure, start with the rear diff, what tends to normally fail first. If you never took your diffs apart and topped them off with oil first (factory always underfills them) and never checked the shims, then it can be user error. Should have checked shimming also in the beginning. Time to start dissassembling one diff at a time. So many possiblilities to your issue. These are not really Ready to run. Yet many think they are because the Box says you can. Then the diffs fail much sooner than later. Nothing new . You are not alone. Arrma 6s diffs are known to keep you servicing them. But should last 15 -20 packs without issue provided you know how to drive well and don't abuse your rig. At that point, just need to be serviced. How I been flying.
A video will help us help you much easier.
Time to start wrenching with proper RC tools ( Hand Hex drivers) in hand. Don't use the included "L" wrenchs if you are.

Last edited:
Hold both front tires off the ground maybe an inch and pull the car to and away from you with the back end on carpet. You will feel it slip or click if its in the rear. Hold the rear wheels and do the same to check the front. You should be able to isolate where the slip is. The center rarely slips un less your piñon is loose. Like SRC said shimming an Arrma is a must. You can YouTube ARRMA DIFFS and learn a lot. When you take the diff cover off put shims only on the left side so it pushes the gear towards center gear. Hope this helps and consider an aluminum diff case or at least the cover. Keeping those gears tight will save money in the long run. IMHO

Do what @Jluther@becoinc stated above. He is dead on correct.

Need to isolate where the slippage/ stripped gear is coming from. Usually the Fr or Rr. I say it's the the rear most of the time. At least for me. Gets the most drivetrain loading at the rear. More wear and tear occurs there. But could be the front also . If you never shimmed or checked your diffs before.;)
If it happens when you brake hard, usually it's the front diff . If it happens on hard initial acceleration, usually it's the rear dff.
Been there numerous times.
You need to absolutely go over ALL 3 diffs now! What I would do. You never touched them before. Best to get a fresh start with all 3 diffs in perfect running condition. Do it right. Start wrenching. Focus on One diff at a time. Hopefully starting with the bad one. Learning to find which one, is part of diagnosing diff issues. I bet the others will also need attention. Because one by one they will also fail much sooner than later, if never touched out the box first.
Let us know how it goes.
:cool:

Last edited:
Yeah I’ve checked both front and rear diffs no shavings or damage on them but when I get on the throttle quickly it hesitates and sounds like it’s hardly making contact and eventually grabs the gears and goes if that makes sense.

Need to isolate where the slippage/ stripped gear is coming from. Usually the Fr or Rr. I say it's the the rear most of the time. At least for me. Gets the most drivetrain loading at the rear. More wear and tear occurs there. But could be the front also . If you never shimmed or checked your diffs before.;)
If it happens when you brake hard, usually it's the front diff . If it happens on hard initial acceleration, usually it's the rear dff.
You need to absolutely go over ALL 3 diffs now! What I would do. You never touched them before. Best to get a fresh start with all 3 diffs in perfect running condition. Do it right. Start wrenching. Focus on One diff at a time. Hopefully starting with the bad one. Learning to find which one, is part of diagnosing diff issues. I bet the others will also need attention. Because one by one they will also fail much sooner than later, if never touched out the box first.
Let us know how it goes.
Yeah I’ve checked both front and rear diffs no shavings or damage on them but when I get on the throttle quickly it hesitates and sounds like it’s hardly making contact and eventually grabs the gears and goes if that makes sense.

Let us know how it goes.
Ok thanks

Hold both front tires off the ground maybe an inch and pull the car to and away from you with the back end on carpet. You will feel it slip or click if its in the rear. Hold the rear wheels and do the same to check the front. You should be able to isolate where the slip is. The center rarely slips un less your piñon is loose. Like SRC said shimming an Arrma is a must. You can YouTube ARRMA DIFFS and learn a lot. When you take the diff cover off put shims only on the left side so it pushes the gear towards center gear. Hope this helps and consider an aluminum diff case or at least the cover. Keeping those gears tight will save money in the long run. IMHO
I did that after I took apart my rear diff but thicker oil in and shimmed it when I pick one end of and roll it on carpet all wheels spin for instance when I grab the front bumber and pick it up an inch roles the rear all tires spin pretty freely with out it clicking really loud or slipping I haven’t ran it yet to check it but I’m assuming that’s good let me know

Let us know how it goes.
Well I got the first diff apart cleaned it all up put new diff oil in and shimmed it seemed to help a little but not totally fixed moved on to the center diff and it seemed like it was catching and did the same the center but haven’t tested it yet of it fixed anything

It’s like the motor is spinning making noise for a few seconds when you wanna give it quiet a bit of throttle but it’s not really moving and than grabs a gear and goes hope that makes sense
It’s like the motor is spinning making noise for a few seconds when you wanna give it quiet a bit of throttle but it’s not really moving and than grabs a gear and goes hope that makes sense
I’ve checked and taken apart the rear and center diff shimmer them and put diff oil in them still have the same issue not quite as bad but still noticeable

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back