SMC Batteries

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BudUMfan

Go Big, Go Fast. Go Blue!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Talion EXB
  3. Typhon 3s
  4. Typhon TLR
How friggin hard is it to get your hands on these. They have a website and they are sold out of everything. How in all that is holy do you get your hands on them. I’m looking for something made for my boat. I’m on the “notify me list for 4 of em that never comes. They must be legendary because I can’t buy em! Heard from @King blitz and @LibertyMKiii and the other boring guys that these are the best ones out there. Anyone know of other brands? Onyx and s also a myth. Waiting for some speed run bricks to try em out. Nope.
Forgot about LHB. Heard good things. CHNL is what I got. I don’t dare throw 2 15000 mah ace gen 3s batteries in there. Them might fit but also sink the boat!
IMG_4345.png

On their front page SMC explains what's going on:
Screenshot_20240522_175705_Chrome.jpg

In other words, they aren't normally this out of stock of everything.

Maybe consider their flight packs? I actually emailed them directly and asked about whether their flight packs could be used for cars. They confirmed yes. Basically the flight packs are packaged in the same way a standard lipo pack is, without as much reinforcement as SMCs typical surface soft packs. So if you're wanting an SMC, I notice those are in stock more so than their regular packs.

Can't comment on their performance though, since I've never tried them personally yet.

I've been waiting for months on the list for a few of theirs to try out with no luck yet. I'm running the cnhl's also

How friggin hard is it to get your hands on these. They have a website and they are sold out of everything. How in all that is holy do you get your hands on them. I’m looking for something made for my boat. I’m on the “notify me list for 4 of em that never comes. They must be legendary because I can’t buy em! Heard from @King blitz and @LibertyMKiii and the other boring guys that these are the best ones out there. Anyone know of other brands? Onyx and s also a myth. Waiting for some speed run bricks to try em out. Nope.
Forgot about LHB. Heard good things. CHNL is what I got. I don’t dare throw 2 15000 mah ace gen 3s batteries in there. Them might fit but also sink the boat!
View attachment 368036
Sweet lipos 😍 mo fkin powAAAA 💪😆

"and the other boring guys." What? Lol. They aren't boring. I am!! 😆 I looked into SMC and quickly gave up over the unavailability. Got cheap batts. I don't blame SMC, (not saying you do) because people seem to have money to friggin' burn. I hear about struggle everywhere, but also see that whatever it is (whatever products or services) a lot of stuff seems to get vacuumed up somehow anyway. Quickly! And the ones who are buying, buy with utter tenacity. No holds barred. I notice the ones who buy, buy it up SUPER FAST. Hoarding. They get it all as fast as they can like the Hungry Hungry Hippos game. While looking for a 1:1 vehicle, I couldn't help but see a sea of $60,000 to over $100,000 vehicles just sitting in dealer lots, but if you act interested in something, there's always another customer watching you like a hawk from afar. They won't want the vehicle until you act interested. If you walk away to 'think on it,' they'll grab a salesperson to snatch it up quick before you decide. ....they wouldn't have considered it until you bothered to look at it. The psychology of people! They feel like if YOU are looking at it, then it must be worth making sure you don't acquire it. People....they play keep-away. After a while, the novelty wears off, then they'll either sell it, or end up getting it repossessed after putting 300,000 miles on it in a few short years, gobbling fast food in it (ruining the interior) and smashing it up. Then they'll say they didn’t like it anyway. I'm serious! People do crap like that! And where they're digging the money up to do it escapes me! Most times with stuff like that, they're indulging on credit. Debt. My point, is people want everything, and they want it all as fast as they can get it before the other guy. Happens with everything, including lipos.

Last edited:
Supply sucks as the website says but they have some new stuff coming. the flight packs work great, I run them all the time, they just aren't as protected as ground packs. They also have a few new lines coming out in the next couple weeks. Great small little company and the owner lives and breathes batteries. the website will be stocked up pretty soon.

View attachment 368036
1716436468268.png

Just a few more days/weeks

With their highest performing batteries SMC seems to only ever have them for a short time. I cannot remember with the SRD v1s, V2s, or V3s them being in stock for more than a week or two. Then you would wait 6 months for the next batch.

Onyx LHB packs are pretty awesome but over priced in my opinion. I don't think you need this level of battery with a RTR esc powering your boat. With only 120-160 amps you won't need the top shelf lipos.

This lipo test is really amazing and shows top performers.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1767093-Battery-Load-Test-Comparisons

The CNHL G+ 70c is a solid performer for the price point and usually in stock.

1716468836616.png

Last edited:
I've said it before but my smc 7400 mah 6s brick is around 5 years and I have no clue how many cycles on it, still performs as well as the first time I ran it. Still balances every time and I still get exceptional run time out of it in my V2 Noto (all stock electronics). I am waiting for them to come back in stock and I will be getting a couple of these.
https://www.smc-racing.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_119&product_id=679

I second what @LibertyMKiii has said. I bought a set of the CNHL G+. They seam great thus far. Only gripe I have is the odd shape of the packs, though I can't blame anyone but myself for that.
What amp hour are you looking for @BudUMfan ?

Turnigy is known for some good packs, they are selling their latest release, "Rapid" for a real nice discount right now.. well worth a try IMO. Keep an eye on the dimensions of the packs though.. don't be a "KnowAir".. 🙃 🤪 ;) 😂

Here's a link for "in stock" 3s, 6ah and up batteries from Hobbyking. I just bought a set of 4s 8000's that are working great thus far. No tax, free shipping after $100, I think..
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/catalog...][1]=Global|3&nR[capacity][>=][0]=5796&is_v=1

No more than 6800 mah with 100c or better discharge rate. I don’t know sh!t about what’s best for my Sonicwake. I’m getting educated by @LibertyMKiii @King blitz and the rest of the boat guys.
That makes two of us bro. What I do know is there is a lot of resistance in water, so likely a high drain scenario not unlike speed running, although I suspect the difference being that boats run hard for likely longer than a single speed pass, where the vehicle is typically shut down after one 20-30 second pull?

I hear good things about the Turnigy HD packs, and while only rated at 60c, they are likely as healthy as most "pin-pong" branded 100+C rated batteries. IDK what HH owner's manual specs the batteries out at, but any "good" brand that meets those numbers should work for a stock machine? Has Spektrum electronics in it right?

No more than 6800 mah with 100c or better discharge rate. I don’t know sh!t about what’s best for my Sonicwake. I’m getting educated by @LibertyMKiii @King blitz and the rest of the boat guys.
The biggest thing you can learn about LiPos is that the C rating is bogus. The 70c CNHLs are more powerful than the 120c
You got taken advantage of by sneaky advertising.

Look for real test results like I posted above to know with confidence which LiPos to buy.

I hear good things about the Turnigy HD packs, and while only rated at 60c, they are likely as healthy as most "pin-pong" branded 100+C rated batteries. IDK what HH owner's manual specs the batteries out at, but any "good" brand that meets those numbers should work for a stock machine? Has Spektrum electronics in it right?
That would be the other fun thing about the LiPo industry. At one time the Turnigy LiPos were said to be the same cells as CNHL G+70c and likely the premium selected best cells. Then about a year or 2 ago they stopped being so good and people could tell in their testing. Not sure what they are today, but I just stick with the test results from the above posted link in post #10. I have the #1 lipo they tested the HCL-HV 5900 and it performs very strong!

This was a 3 LiPo test I did and you can see the difference between a basher Gens Lipo, CNHL G+70c, and Onyx LHB.
No other changes to this boat and the differences are big!

Last edited:
🤷 I just get cheap and bash my ground stuff. All this searching for the best or better. I don't bother. If the batteries swell or mess up for me, then I guess they will. Is what it is. Recently, one of my retired older cell phones I used for being online started to make the same popping sounds like one of my cheap RC lipos did when trying to charge it. Stuck it in a thick gauge steel file box with the rest of my lipos before I deal with it. Will never use it again. I just see lipos as lipos. Disposable things that have a limited life no matter how expensive or fancy of a brand. But, that's just me. I'm not saying to be like me. Carry on in your quests for the best.

🤷 I just get cheap and bash my ground stuff. All this searching for the best or better. I don't bother. If the batteries swell or mess up for me, then I guess they will. Is what it is. Recently, one of my retired older cell phones I used for being online started to make the same popping sounds like one of my cheap RC lipos did when trying to charge it. Stuck it in a thick gauge steel file box with the rest of my lipos before I deal with it. Will never use it again. I just see lipos as lipos. Disposable things that have a limited life no matter how expensive or fancy of a brand. But, that's just me. I'm not saying to be like me. Carry on in your quests for the best.

Absolutely. I have some Zeee cheap Amazon Lipos and they have a use case in my sons Slash VXL.
Most RTR ESCs the lipo you use will make very little difference.

Going for speed records and being run on an Castle high amp esc is a different use case and needs a different battery

Absolutely. I have some Zeee cheap Amazon Lipos and they have a use case in my sons Slash VXL.
Most RTR ESCs the lipo you use will make very little difference.

Going for speed records and being run on an Castle high amp esc is a different use case and needs a different battery
I understand the differences. I guess I just don't understand a high level of motivation for that kind of extreme energy demand. The motivational/financial investment in such endeavors. In MANY different kinds of endeavors. To each their own 🤷.

I understand the differences. I guess I just don't understand a high level of motivation for that kind of extreme energy demand. The motivational/financial investment in such endeavors. In MANY different kinds of endeavors. To each their own 🤷.

Absolutely agree and that is what makes the hobby great. Otherwise all 1,000 of us would own blue Kraton 6s RCs. I love that we all like different colors, modifications, and even how we enjoy using the RC car. Some like the 1/5 scale cars others prefer smaller models. It is the spice of life!

I have zero interest in bashing and jumping RC cars, but most everyone else does. For me the technical challenge / engineering needs to push the limits of speed is very "fun" and fits the amount of time I have to go out and use the RC car/boat.

Absolutely agree and that is what makes the hobby great. Otherwise all 1,000 of us would own blue Kraton 6s RCs. I love that we all like different colors, modifications, and even how we enjoy using the RC car. Some like the 1/5 scale cars others prefer smaller models. It is the spice of life!

I have zero interest in bashing and jumping RC cars, but most everyone else does. For me the technical challenge / engineering needs to push the limits of speed is very "fun" and fits the amount of time I have to go out and use the RC car/boat.
Forgive me, but...what AFTER those limits have been pushed? What is the end goal? Is it not about an end goal at all? Is it simply just for the experience of the pursuit, akin to mine of simply running a senton across the yard? I pick minds sometimes to understand motivations. I pick my own, even. Like, why am I asking this? 😅 My only answer to that is...for the EXPERIENCE of finding out! Maybe it's the same with you.

I don't want to offend or be a buzz-kill to anyone in the thread. That is definitely not my goal. So with that said, I'm leaving it alone now to give you all the space.

Last edited:
Back