Snapped 3 of 4 center diff screws, now what?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, if you have a side where all 4 holes are good drill thru all four of those holes to the other side. Then flip the housing over and tap those. You have nothing to lose, the housing is trash and you will never get those broken bolts out. It is best to do this in a drill press in a vise so you aren’t boogering up the good holes.

Yes now i understand. Thanks for the advice.
I don't have thread tools or a drill bench.
But i know a guy that have it, going to see if i get respond soon and if nothing happen soon i give it a try. I would need to make holes in the gasket too without breaking it, it could just fine and if i do it i go with the m3 screws.

But i know a guy that have it, going to see if i get respond soon and if nothing happen soon i give it a try. I would need to make holes in the gasket too without breaking it, it could just fine and if i do it i go with the m3 screws.
Pretty sure you can just remove the gasket and flip it over so the holes are opposite. Use a hobby knife to carefully lift it without ripping. Also, the tap you need is a m3.5 if you are using the same bolts. If not then you can use a more common (at least here in the US) 6-40. Both use the same tap drill (.114”) but are definitely not the same or interchangeable. I cant easily find m3.5 bolts that are not Phillips head.

All the same happened to mine. I had to put in a drill press and used micro screw extractors like these... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GZ17QD9/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_HV0tEbNH15F97

Like stated before, those 3.5mm screws are impossible to find in the US so I ordered the Arrma OEM ones. So, yes it can be repaired. Worth the headache if you don't already have these tools, ?‍♂️. I cant vouch for the quality of the link posted above, as mine are snap on brand, but they have several hundred positive reviews. Use at your own risk and very carefully. They are tiny, but if you snap one off in a screw, they are super hard and impossible to drill out.

When it happened to me I just ordered a new case and the screws. I didn't even bother claiming warranty ?

Guess what...

6AF1FF7E-5C46-49A8-A60C-CB8582B1E665.jpeg
310BB7F5-13D5-4E86-BEC9-50F3DA803234.jpeg

??????????????

The broken gasket might explain the leaking out the side of the case. ?

Last edited:
Hey Hammer, you have a filed hole in that there diff case :ROFLMAO:

My gasket did the same, I put it back together like that. No leaking to worry about with that 2M silly putty.
Kinda what I was thinking, 20 mill and back together for now... ?‍♂️

7 out of 8 ain’t bad... ?

We’ll see what HH does, they wanted pics and receipts. ?

Horizon is sending me a whole new dif. It’s great but I hope I don’t break bolts off on that one too. I was just going to get a new housing...
I’m going to fix mine with the technique above and add it here. Op, I hope you don’t mind.
7AAF04D5-90D2-49C4-8E39-1E1325727019.jpeg

Well...
I put it back together w/20mill and put it back in the truck we’ll see how it does. ?

1E4A7AE5-8251-4544-AB1E-B0A02F865005.jpeg

I packed the ? out of it!!
I put so much in there it was ooozing out the broken screw hole.
This 20 million is actually pretty easy to work with, it rolls up like rubber cement.

Well...
I put it back together w/20mill and put it back in the truck we’ll see how it does. ?

View attachment 66455
I packed the ? out of it!!
I put so much in there it was ooozing out the broken screw hole.
This 20 million is actually pretty easy to work with, it rolls up like rubber cement.
Go run a pack through it, bring it in and add some more ?

Nice, hope the missing bolt does not give you trouble.

WoW! All the way from New Zealand ??
Our friends down under should really like this. ?
Yeah, there you go...just tap them out 6-40 and forget about the fancy screws unless you are a Kiwi...

by snapped I assume the head has twisted off? If you’ve Stripped the HEX your up the creek. If you can get the remaining one out and the Diff comes out from the car your lucky if you’ve stripped the hex you need to drill them out . You’ll need a new centre diff mount either way, Not the end of the world .
about £10 I think . A whole load of Screwdriver time ? Enjoy

Hi,

happened to me yesterday.... danm followed all the tips on heating up first... almost went well... 3rd screw... pop... off came the head.

Run with just 3 screws? Or do I really need to purchase a new diff case?

Or whats the best way to contact Horizon Hobby? I'm in Europe too...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back