Speed rig shock travel advice!!☢️

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Senton 3s
So, as some know I'm building my first speed rig from a mega infraction.. on my setup I had to throw some limiters in the shocks I upgraded too, 10mm in the front and 8mm in the back.. my question is how much travel is too little!!? 🤔

I know some run turnbuckles instead of shocks and others run really stiff setups.. so let's just say I threw some 6s shocks on it and went the stiff rt.. do you guys think a 1/4 of travel on the front is ok if I have a stiff preload setup.. given it's a 3s platform and weighs like 6lbs I doubt much compression will take place.. I wanted to keep the rake as true as possible but I can swap the fronts to 8mm if need be!? I'm still fresh to the speed scene so forgive my lack of knowledge on the matter!! 🥴

Last edited:
Not even an opinion, geez!!
Here's my opinion, throw the shocks in The trash..😆😅🤣😂imo all they do is hurt ya..so much tension on entire suspension ,droop screws,chassis..stripping threads on droops,drooped, falling off ears of chassis,weight,must be tuned equally.etc,etc..all depends on road surface..none of my roads require 2mm of shock travel to run..lol

Haa, ok I take it back!! 🤣

tumblr_ne49nlEx8O1spgieio1_500.gif

So, as some know I'm building my first speed rig from a mega infraction.. on my setup I had to throw some limiters in the shocks I upgraded too, 10mm in the front and 8mm in the back.. my question is how much travel is too little!!? 🤔

I know some run turnbuckles instead of shocks and others run really stiff setups.. so let's just say I threw some 6s shocks on it and went the stiff rt.. do you guys think a 1/4 of travel on the front is ok if I have a stiff preload setup.. given it's a 3s platform and weighs like 6lbs I doubt much compression will take place.. I wanted to keep the rake as true as possible but I can swap the fronts to 8mm if need be!? I'm still fresh to the speed scene so forgive my lack of knowledge on the matter!! 🥴
When the car bounces instead of absorbing the bumps. I'd say that's an objective reference point for when it's too little. When using shock limiters I kept my front suspension travel to 2 or 3mm and the rear was almost locked out with 1-2mm of travel. I arrived at these setting by first setting the front suspension as low as I could go on my particular road without scraping and then limiting the suspension so that I could compress the suspension fully without bottoming out. The rear I limited to an extent that, no matter how hard I pressed down on it, it was impossible to even reach parallel with the road (i.e. always a bit of rake no matter what). Hope this helps :)

Heck yea it helps, thank you bub
What's a good ride height and rake angle!?
Ride height will depend on your road and how smooth it is but, generally speaking, about a finger's width at the front is good. Maybe a little less but you'll have to experiment a little to find what works best for you and your location.

As for rake angle, a few degrees is enough. The critical piece of the puzzle is that you want to make sure that your chassis never goes beyond horizontal when the car squats under load.

Something like this, maybe a degree more should be fine.
1681665507579.jpeg

Mine is about the same as what Diem explained above. I might have slightly more travel by 1-2 mm
I have a fair bit more suspension travel now with the PP shocks installed, I was just reporting my last known functional setup. Still waiting on a break in the weather to try them out though. The preliminary weather report for Mon-Wed this week is looking promising but I've seriously lost faith in weather forecasts so I'm not getting my hopes up until later in the day tomorrow...it feels like they've gotten progressively less reliable over the last 1-2 years...am I the only one who feels this way or are others seeing this as well?

Any chance anyone knows of a softer spring than the stock 6s springs!?
The 6S springs come in 27, 32 and 38lb./in. rates. If I had to guess the stock are probably the 32lb but I'd verify that, just to be sure. So the 27lb. are probably your only option.

35mm ARA330600
40mm ARA330632

Ok guys I'm pretty much locked up front with the 12mm limiters, I literally have maybe 2mm max on travel!! 🙄
Do you guys think I should throw the 10mm back in it and adjust with preload, or do we not want much suspension travel up front.. I have one front done and wondering if I should proceed on with the other or reconfigure this driver front for a third time!! 🤣

Gosh darn suspension work!! 🤬

For front just have it travel about 2-3mm no more than that needed. In the front its just to keep it from scraping on breaking toward the end or the run. Unless you're running on a crazy road (why would you) you don't need more than that for absorption. For the rear, you just don't want her to sit far enough so that it sits lower than the front at any point that equals a blow over, just just another 2-3 mm of movement there. Your rake should be good enough that when you add 20lbs to the back it still higher than the front. What is your goal. I'm about to try my big rock to 100mph with no wing or front splitter. K-bash has a smooth as a baby bottom road lucky bastard which is why he gets away with the links.

My question was if a 1/4 of travel up front is too little!? What u think SrC!?
1/4 travel is just right IMHO. Trial and error dictates ultimately. But a great place to start. I feel the rear end should be slightly stiffer and with less travel than the front as a speed runner. It's a start.
My spin. Good luck.:cool:

One great option that Raz tried with good results is removing the shock "springs" altogether, then set your droop/ Rake angle, then place nitro fuel tubing over the complete remaining exposed shock shafts. But I noticed as of late that Raz is using shocks and His new Springs sets with great results.
Much has to do with how groomed and smooth the terrain is where you will speed run. Sometimes you just need some suspension movement to accommodate poor terrain. Or its a fail with carnage. The slightest dip or bump will send the rig flying if the supsension is rigid. There is a trade off. Been there too many times. I got the firmer optional Arrma springs for my Lim as one example. I made it work for me. Adequate Aero is the other part of the equation. Lest we not forget.

Edited.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back