Speed Runners ~ How Fast Did You Go Today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blx 185 and 2050kv motor? Also, I think it's time I use a different gps. Someone told me I've probably already hit 100 mph and it's the GoPro that's not registering correctly. Gonna try a pass with an old cel phone strapped on and see if the results are any different. I'd like to get one of these SkyRc gps speed meters, but I think I'll wait til next season.
Castle mamba x 8s with TP 2250kv running 6s. Going to get the Skyrc GSM020 soon..then I can compare. Cant imagine it will be too off from each other.

Castle mamba x 8s with TP 2250kv running 6s. Going to get the Skyrc GSM020 soon..then I can compare. Cant imagine it will be too off from each other.
I'm trying to hit a high mark with the stock electronics on 6s. My Typhon is all Arrma except for the 29t pinion and some high power fans. 34t spool is out of a Limitless. Once I finally hit 100, then the Typhon will become a parking lot basher. Pretty sure I'm not going harder than that. Don't even think about saying it @jondilly1974. My next climb will be to see how far I can take the 3s Typhon.

I'm trying to hit a high mark with the stock electronics on 6s. My Typhon is all Arrma except for the 29t pinion and some high power fans. 34t spool is out of a Limitless. Once I finally hit 100, then the Typhon will become a parking lot basher. Pretty sure I'm not going harder than that. Don't even think about saying it @jondilly1974. My next climb will be to see how far I can take the 3s Typhon.
I’m still chasing @phildogg with the Typhon 3S. I’ve hit a 130mph pass so far. My current setup is ready to go, but it might be spring before I can make another pass. I believe Phil did a 134mph and that should be the world record as far as I can tell.

What is a good way to get the speed of ur rc. A gps meter here is around 100CAD plus tax. Is there anything else I could use instead of an app?
Nothing as accurate as a GSM020.

What is a good way to get the speed of ur rc. A gps meter here is around 100CAD plus tax. Is there anything else I could use instead of an app?
I read mine with the GoPro. I'm going to try strapping an old cel phone under the wing. I'm Canadian too and I know what you mean about finding a good one. I'm gonna check ebay too but not til the spring

I read mine with the GoPro. I'm going to try strapping an old cel phone under the wing. I'm Canadian too and I know what you mean about finding a good one. I'm gonna check ebay too but not til the spring
I have a couple of I Pods touch screens from my older sisters. Now they have a phone but the 13 year old me does not! Imma pull those out and put an app on them. I just gave my senton a run and did abt 85-90 mph on 3s. The thing rips with a 28th pinion. Motor was getting hot so I stopped!

97.9 mph/155 kmh using a phone instead of the GoPro. Watching it go by and not knowing if I could stop it was ridiculous. Did this run in the country where going off road was a ditch and not a curb.
IMG_20201104_130543.jpg

97.9 mph/155 kmh using a phone instead of the GoPro. Watching it go by and not knowing if I could stop it was ridiculous. Did this run in the country where going off road was a ditch and not a curb.
Good stuff!
It may be time for a proper GPS ;)

I have said it before and will say it again. The most fun I had speed running was using a stock electronics 6s Arrma. Going 120+ where you are spending big $$$ on the best parts, and crashing all the time can be defeating at times!

Last edited:
Good stuff!
It may be time for a proper GPS ;)

I have said it before and will say it again. The most fun I had speed running was using a stock electronics 6s Arrma. Going 120+ where you are spending big $$$ on the best parts, and crashing all the time can be defeating at times!
I've ordered the new one from SkyRc but won't likely arrive in time to test before snowfall. I think the only way I'll hit 100 is to let the car run to the point where I'll lose radio control and that's a scary thought.
The price tag of 1/8 scale speed running has definitely made me think about getting a 4-Tec 2.0...
My Typhon has minor changes. Kraton chassis, rear chassis brace & dogbone, and a limitless spool. Tires had to be done but everything is still stock or at the least, Arrma. Can flip back to an offroad buggy anytime so it's a great two in one.

The price tag of 1/8 scale speed running has definitely made me think about getting a 4-Tec 2.0...

I can tell you out of the box the best option would be a Typhon or Limitless. A $240.00 4tec brushed/roller will get up to a Limitless roller price quickly before its ready for a speed run above 60 mph. It is a difficult little car as Raz has mentioned in his videos. (but rewarding if you are looking to go VERY fast)

Depending what your speed goals using a 4tec is sort of funny in that it needs a lot of work to get it driving stable. The suspension has massive amounts of play and needs all sorts of aluminum upgrades. The perk is the diffs are the same from the Slash 4x4 and XO-1 which are plenty strong for a car this size.

Tires are cheap, but foam is the only option. There are no belted rubber tires for 1/10 scale on-road. For batteries you could go quite fast with 3s or 4s on this car.(likely ones you already own for Arrma vehicles)

Most of the guys going fast with the 4tec are running the Saga CF chassis that allows side battery trays (unless you can make your own stuff)
Saga's chassis kit is $235.00

I'd be happy to share how I made mine if you want to go that route. Cost was only the carbon fiber sheet and if you have tools to cut it with (jig saw or Dremel type rotary tool) Drill bits and counter sink bit.

Concept tested in card board:
20200406_112145.jpg

Actual cut in CF 3mm plate:
SWBCapture.JPG

I can tell you out of the box the best option would be a Typhon or Limitless. A $240.00 4tec brushed/roller will get up to a Limitless roller price quickly before its ready for a speed run above 60 mph. It is a difficult little car as Raz has mentioned in his videos. (but rewarding if you are looking to go VERY fast)

Depending what your speed goals using a 4tec is sort of funny in that it needs a lot of work to get it driving stable. The suspension has massive amounts of play and needs all sorts of aluminum upgrades. The perk is the diffs are the same from the Slash 4x4 and XO-1 which are plenty strong for a car this size.

Tires are cheap, but foam is the only option. There are no belted rubber tires for 1/10 scale on-road. For batteries you could go quite fast with 3s or 4s on this car.(likely ones you already own for Arrma vehicles)

Most of the guys going fast with the 4tec are running the Saga CF chassis that allows side battery trays (unless you can make your own stuff)
Saga's chassis kit is $235.00

I'd be happy to share how I made mine if you want to go that route. Cost was only the carbon fiber sheet and if you have tools to cut it with (jig saw or Dremel type rotary tool) Drill bits and counter sink bit.
That helps put everything in perspective for me; thanks. I guess I was thinking more in terms of electronics cost than everything else required to make it a speed build. I can't afford more than one car at this point, so for the time being I'll just take my Typhon GT as far as it'll go!

New speed records website got setup.
It appears this one is posed to replace ROSSA as people in the US are not doing events and rely on GPS instead of speed traps.

https://worldsfastestrc.com/

They have several breakdowns/filters and some videos are in multiple places

By Scale: 1/5 1/7 1/8 1/10 Mini
By "Class": 8s, 6s, 5s, 4s, 3s, 2s, GT, Open Wheel
By Brand: Arrma, Traxxas, Losi, Hobao, Mugen, HPI,

Also has region geographically around the world (I supposed so you can say fastest in the UK, US, Austrailia, etc... )

Last edited:
I feel discriminated. Not asking them to include the Netherlands, but there is more to Europe than Germany and UK
They have a link on the bottom of their page for adding anything new/edits to the page. There will be lots added/changed over the next few weeks I am sure.

I personally feel like they should have gone with continents or large regions versus countries. Are they really going to list 100's of countries?
This is a global community and I don't see the benefit of location based records :unsure:

I thought I would share this with the group to share knowledge and shine some light on tires.
Late last week I spoke with one of the top speed runners (not Raz)

I was asking him about GRP tires and any tricks to keep them together, since I have seen him post a few runs over 150 mph on GRP tires.
He went on to explain that what you don't see is the TONS of blow outs. He said this "season" he went through 96 GRP tires in making those runs. He said what many already know, that beyond 140mph it is a 70% chance of a blow out on the tires.

I know that we know this sort of thing, but the videos can be deceptive as they don't show all the blowouts. He indicated he is switching all of his car to foams.

He also said the Typhon/open wheel buggy is the hardest car out there to drive on foams.

Back