Kraton Speed Tracking by phone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TyphonTLR

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Fireteam
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Notorious
Was curious if anyone else here is doing this. I have an old phone (Google Nexus 5x) that would normally be sitting in a drawer that doesn't have a SIM card or anything that I use to track speed. I'll just zip-tie the phone to the wing on the Kraton etc and it seems to be pretty accurate with GPS for figuring out how fast the thing is running. Is there any benefit of the SkyRC stuff over the rigged up setup I have lol.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.coolniks.niksgps

Was curious if anyone else here is doing this. I have an old phone (Google Nexus 5x) that would normally be sitting in a drawer that doesn't have a SIM card or anything that I use to track speed. I'll just zip-tie the phone to the wing on the Kraton etc and it seems to be pretty accurate with GPS for figuring out how fast the thing is running. Is there any benefit of the SkyRC stuff over the rigged up setup I have lol.

I'd imagine other than smaller size, lighter weight and data logging features...
And you can protect it easier in a case of some sort than a chunky phone..

However, it's still a nice idea and functional ,to be able to repurpose an old phone for RC usage.
Solid 😎👌

I would say do it!! Might as well put it to use. Plus being that you aren't trying to achieve any crazy speeds then you are good to go. I would try to mount it inside though just in the event of a crash it has some more protection so you don't ruin it.

The phone is heavy, creates more drag, and can actually cause a pretty bad accident at high speeds. All that weight on the wing is going to affect the load on the front wheels. Now if your just messing about at 70 mph and less, I'm sure the results are negligible. The small GSM020 unit is light, compact and can be hidden away under the body. Its very accurate and a must once you start hitting speeds over 80 mph. Some people used to use small GPS units with digital displays in the past, finding different ways to tuck them away so as not to affect aerodynamics. The new units from Skyrc basically erased the old style, especially with the functionality of an app to record everything. Is it worth it? Depends on how far you plan to take your speed journey

Yup, done it! Not a speedrunner but wanted to know the speed. Strapped an old iphone with the app “Speedometer” on the back of the desert buggy where normally the spare tire is. If you are planning to do more speedtest I’d get a Skyrc GSM device though.

I would say do it!! Might as well put it to use. Plus being that you aren't trying to achieve any crazy speeds then you are good to go. I would try to mount it inside though just in the event of a crash it has some more protection so you don't ruin it.
Yes I tried the same.
A phone is more cumbersome and heavy. Had my old phone eject before. Needs better protection.
GPS is GPS, speed will be clocked the same pretty much. Nothing wrong with putting an old phone to some good use. (y)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back