State and local weird names for normal things

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotnitro

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
By me in northern IL, we call it pop! If you ask me for soda, I'm bringing you a glass of soda water. If you ask me for a pop, I'll ask you what kind. I know down south, you ask for a pop or soda, they bring you a coke. We also call a drinking fountain a drinking fountain. In RI and WI they call them bubblers. Weird to me, yes!..

What are some normal things that have weird names in your part of the woods?

Please post the word with a definition.(y)

From the south (east coast)

Fixing’ to… = getting ready to…

Snap beans = green beans

Tea is sweet = everywhere (that’s the only way it’s made here; minimum 2 cups of sugar per gallon)

Kansas

"There's a tornado coming" - The rest of the world = hides in basement. Kansas = go outside and look for it
Pop = Pepsi, Coke, Sprite, etc.... Soda = wtf?
Cornhole = Yard Game
Burnt Ends = Delicious BBQ
BBQ = REAL, delicious BBQ...not just pulled pork smothered in store-bought sauce
Puppy Chow - A snack made from Chex Cereal, Chocolate, Peanut Butter and Powdered Sugar
"We're not in Kansas anymore!" - It's a State Statute that any Kansan citizen must utter this to fellow travelers when we cross the border out of Kansas into a neighboring State.

Where I grew up in the SF Bay Area, If I ask you for a Coke, you'd better ask me what kind of Coke I want. Like this:
Waiter: You want a Coke?
Me: Yeah!
Waiter: What kind of Coke you want?
Me: Hmmm, how 'bout a Mountain Dew?
Waiter: You got it, here's your Coke!

By me in northern IL, we call it pop! If you ask me for soda, I'm bringing you a glass of soda water. If you ask me for a pop, I'll ask you what kind. I know down south, you ask for a pop or soda, they bring you a coke. We also call a drinking fountain a drinking fountain. In RI and WI they call them bubblers. Weird to me, yes!..

What are some normal things that have weird names in your part of the woods?

Please post the word with a definition.(y)
in ks we call it pop. my mom called it soda lol

Rocky MT Oysters..... Steer Balls either dipped in breading and fried or just o natural....Never have tried them...Is there any wonder why I want to escape this state??
Pop= Pepsi, Coke etc.
Greenchili: A sauce made out of pork and green chili's to put on burritos or pretty much anything, I used to eat it on top of mashed potatoes as a kid.
Out of towners: "Gasping, Cant breath", Welcome to altitude
Man smells like a skunk everywhere= Its the weed dispensaries' and out of towners smoking the stuff everywhere.
"I just moved here and my neighbors are rude"= Neighbors are natives.
Back Country: Forested lands most of the time state parks where natives camp also where Tourist get lost and need search and rescue to find them.
"Man I burn so bad in the summer and its so dry": Again Welcome to altitude.
Native Saying " Going up to the hills" Means 3 things usually, Gambling, Skiing or Shooting.
Bubble Guts: To much green chili and Rocky Mt oysters, time to evacuate better make sure you got the Tp stocked
another thread to make me hungry:ROFLMAO:
I can send you some Rocky Mt Oysters brudda :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Rocky MT Oysters..... Steer Balls either dipped in breading and fried or just o natural....Never have tried them...Is there any wonder why I want to escape this state??
Pop= Pepsi, Coke etc.
Greenchili: A sauce made out of pork and green chili's to put on burritos or pretty much anything, I used to eat it on top of mashed potatoes as a kid.
Out of towners: "Gasping, Cant breath", Welcome to altitude
Man smells like a skunk everywhere= Its the weed dispensaries' and out of towners smoking the stuff everywhere.
"I just moved here and my neighbors are rude"= Neighbors are natives.
Back Country: Forested lands most of the time state parks where natives camp also where Tourist get lost and need search and rescue to find them.
"Man I burn so bad in the summer and its so dry: Welcome to altitude again.

I can send you some Rocky Mt Oysters brudda :ROFLMAO:

Mountain Oysters are delicious...taste like really juicy chicken. My wife loved them until I told her what they were

Mountain Oysters are delicious...taste like really juicy chicken. My wife loved them until I told her what they were
LMAO Were you like " Babe You know what that is.."
Her " No what is it (as she wiped her mouth)"
You "
deez nuts GIF
"

Last edited:
Where I grew up in the SF Bay Area, If I ask you for a Coke, you'd better ask me what kind of Coke I want. Like this:
Waiter: You want a Coke?
Me: Yeah!
Waiter: What kind of Coke you want?
Me: Hmmm, how 'bout a Mountain Dew?
Waiter: You got it, here's your Coke!
I'm from the Bay too and I call it soda. Lol

But it is the Bay where we hyphy and go dumb, where them rappers be getting they' lingo from.. lol

false crack = sucker punch
lumps, trow, scrap = fight
caught cracks, got likins = lost fight
*auwk = chickened out of a fight
pound = fight, drink a lot, eat a lot, what you do with your other half in the bedroom
pounding = big waves, heavy rain
like go?/you pound? = calling someone out to fight
grinds = food
shoots = yes/ok
cruz um = chill out/relax
suck'um up = driking/getting drunk
and soda is soda:ROFLMAO:

We have plenty of cows (and sheep) in our back yard. I found out about this interesting meal a few years ago.
Bubble Guts: To much green chili and Rocky Mt oysters, time to evacuate better make sure you got the Tp stocked
we call that "taco bell". and in Minnesota they call it "swamp gut"

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back