Kraton Stock Kraton, 14T pinion speed run

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
IMG_0629.jpg

I have to say I was a tad disappointed. I am running 2 Lektron Pro 5200mah 50c 3s lipo's and the 14t pinion. The batteries were not fully charged when I did the run. I had about 10 minutes of running from the day before. Would I have hit the magic 60 mph on a fully charge? BTW, the stock tires help up well (other than a little ballooning). I am running 50k in the center diff, 30 in the front and 20 in the rear.

Just what they say on the speedchart? Buy a 16 tooth for 60mph.

Attachments

• IMG_20180802_215124.jpg
    IMG_20180802_215124.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 182
Are you giving it enough room to fully get those last few revs? Fully charged batteries should net you a few mph. Swapping to a big amp battery like a graphene or similar might get another 1 or 2.

Or toss a 15t-16t on there.

Just what they say on the speedchart? Buy a 16 tooth for 60mph.
20180802_171038.jpg

The "speed" gear that came with the Kraton is 14t. They claim 60 mph. It's not a big deal. I was just curious.

True. I have to say, 55mph on 14t seems pretty good.
Agree. It's a truck and I'm really not looking for top end speed. It was more of a curiosity. My first Arrma was a brushed Granite 4x4. Box reads "30+ MPH." You would have to drop it off a cliff to get 30 mph on the stock motor, even with the optional 27t pinion. It seems like all the manufacturers are liberal with the max speed ratings :D

I have 20T on mine (with a 4092 1730kv motor) and hit 66mph with katar tires.

View attachment 20967

The "speed" gear that came with the Kraton is 14t. They claim 60 mph. It's not a big deal. I was just curious.

yeah, seem silly. I kind of get it - a stock Kraton runs great with the 14t - so they include it. But 60 is stretching. The Typhon comes with a 16t, and I think it hit 60. The Talion claims 70m and comes with a 20t. Outcast and senton are in the "don't matter" column, neither will hit 60 with any gear stock, due to the Outcast's tires and the Senton's body.

The outcast will hit 60 with a 15 tooth with little effort, I've done it many times.
Senton and Typhon are a bit different when it comes to speed comparison to the other Arrma 6s vehicles because they have a higher 13 tooth diff pinion vs the 10 tooth for the big tire vehicles.

The outcast will hit 60 with a 15 tooth with little effort, I've done it many times.
Senton and Typhon are a bit different when it comes to speed comparison to the other Arrma 6s vehicles because they have a higher 13 tooth diff pinion vs the 10 tooth for the big tire vehicles.

The Typhon and Senton also run much smaller tires. The rollout between the diffs and buggy tires / truggy tires ends up being very close...

Nice to hear you can manage 60. Stock backflip tires?

Yeah stock backflips.
Switching to heavier center diff fluid (200k+) helped by keeping the front tires from spinning so much. On the stock 100k fluid If you got too aggressive with the throttle too early it would spin the fronts and you'd run out of road before it would finally catch.

I knew the bigger trucks had helical cut ring and pinion. Do you know if the larger pinion gear in the senton/typhon give higher top end? Basically can you swap the big trucks to the other diff to gain more for a high speed run. I’m guessing they’re not quite as durable.

I knew the bigger trucks had helical cut ring and pinion. Do you know if the larger pinion gear in the senton/typhon give higher top end? Basically can you swap the big trucks to the other diff to gain more for a high speed run. I’m guessing they’re not quite as durable.
Yes, the Typhon/Senton 13t straight cut differential pinion would increase top speed considerably over the 10 tooth.
As an example, my current setup in the Outcast has a 15t motor pinion and a top speed of 60.9mph. A switch to Typhon or Senton diffs with the 13t diff pinion would give me a theoretical top speed of 78.9mph making no other changes.
The spiral cut gears offer slightly more durability due to an increase in surface/contact area per tooth vs the straight cut gear.
I probably wouldn't try landing double backflips from big air with the 13t straight cut gears in, but they'd hold for speed runs no problem

Yes, the Typhon/Senton 13t straight cut differential pinion would increase top speed considerably over the 10 tooth.
As an example, my current setup in the Outcast has a 15t motor pinion and a top speed of 60.9mph. A switch to Typhon or Senton diffs with the 13t diff pinion would give me a theoretical top speed of 78.9mph making no other changes.
The spiral cut gears offer slightly more durability due to an increase in surface/contact area per tooth vs the straight cut gear.
I probably wouldn't try landing double backflips from big air with the 13t straight cut gears in, but they'd hold for speed runs no problem

Thanks man. I just made a custom Arrma. I squeezed a 25T on it. I'm anxious to see how fast it'll go. I might have time this weekend, I hope. I'm going to make a build thread. Nothing special but it was a fun build. Now I'm thinking I could swap my Senton diffs onto it.

I'm only getting barely 30 for some reason. Might be the new radio? Ikonnik et4ds. Turned throttle EPA up to 120% no change. Reset throttle settings through esc no change.

Attachments

• 15805799891452847123968162153403.jpg
    15805799891452847123968162153403.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 47
I'm only getting barely 30 for some reason. Might be the new radio? Ikonnik et4ds. Turned throttle EPA up to 120% no change. Reset throttle settings through esc no change.
Something isn't right.

Something isn't right.
That's my guess. I am looking into the EPA settings on the new transmitter and I may be doing it wrong. I also get such an explosive reverse that it almost instantly flips the car.

That's my guess. I am looking into the EPA settings on the new transmitter and I may be doing it wrong. I also get such an explosive reverse that it almost instantly flips the car.
There should be a setting in the ESC for motor direction. Set it to the opposite of what it's at. You are getting reverse power when you pull the trigger and vice versa when you go into reverse.

Yep you have two things backwards. You can change the ESC, radio, or swap two wires on the motor.

Yep you have two things backwards. You can change the ESC, radio, or swap two wires on the motor.
If he has all the colors connected correctly I'd recommend changing the ESC. If not, swap wires to correct.

Edit: I forgot about the radio.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back