Kraton Stripped grub screw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjl5590

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm trying to get the grub screw out of my new motor, but have been unable to with all 3 of my tools (two of which are brand new). The screw is now stripped.

Any idea how to get it out? What kind of loctite do Arrma use??

The dreaded red loctite issue. Needs to be heated to break the loctite before attempting.
There's a few methods online for getting our stripped grubs if you do a quick google search.
Using a rubber band in the the hole and shoving your driver in. (No that's not a euphemism for anything :LOL:)
Dremel a slot on top of the grub screw and using a flathead screwdriver
Drilling out the grub with a thin drill bit (but may damage the outer threads of the pinion if not careful, but they are cheap to replace as well)

Whatever method is used you're going to have to heat that sucker up to bust the loctite as previously mentioned.

Carefully drill it out. If there is a way you cut use a Dremel and get a cutting disc in there to slot the top, you could use a screwdriver. Would be tough. Did you heat it before you tried removing it?

A lighter will not be quite hot enough. You need a small torch for best results.
I have used a screw extractor like the one pictured. It has a small left hand bit on one end and the extractor on the other. Works real good.
As a last resort , us a dremel and cutting disc .

You can also use a soldering iron if you have one to heat up the screw. But just keep in mind as you heat the screw, you're also transferring heat into the motor via the shaft. So just don't "overheat" the thing. ;)

Thanks, I managed to get off the grub screw with a tork. But now I can't get the pinion off. I've tried pliers, a hammer and heating it to the point of melting...

Attachments

• DSC_2705.JPG
    DSC_2705.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 67
Thanks, I managed to get off the grub screw with a tork. But now I can't get the pinion off. I've tried pliers, a hammer and heating it to the point of melting...
It's more of that damn loctite. I just keep heating it until I see smoke from the loctite. If possible I use a pinion puller which doesn't help you unless you have one.

You can get creative with a screw, a nut and a vise if you have those.

Clamp the pinion and nut in the vise....line the nut hole up with the motor shaft, thread the screw in the nut and push on the motor shaft. M3 screw should work....

Cover the aluminum with a rag and use a flathead screwdriver under the gears. Heat it up first, then "pop" down on the end of the screwdriver.

Where are you located? If you were near me I would take it off for you for free in a couple minutes.

That being said- the sizes between your 3 tools are not all the same. If you started with too small of a size- you may have damaged the screw right off the bat.

Also- NEVER use a ball head tool on a tight screw. You will quickly and easily damage both the screw and your tool.

I have those exact drivers...they are nice.

Yeah they seem to be good quality, but I can't get any torque on them because there's no hole to put something through to use as a wrench and get leverage. So can't undo tough bolts

20190508_094708.jpg

Here's my work of art from yesterday ? This was in my Granite. I cut the gear so I could get the motor plate off. I then used my pinion puller to get it to where it is now. I can't for the life of me get it the rest of the way off. I got so pissed off I threw the whole thing in the garbage only to fish it out a few hours later (I have 3 other BLX185 motors). This all started with a stripped grub screw.

Pretty sure there's a lip on the motor shaft at the very end. Guessing your hanging up on that. May as well dremel the grub screw with a cutting disk to cut a slot in it, then remove with a standard screw driver.

Similar to what I do with skid plate screws, just have to be more accurate in your case:
2018-0528-DremelScrewSlot.jpg

View attachment 37629

Here's my work of art from yesterday ? This was in my Granite. I cut the gear so I could get the motor plate off. I then used my pinion puller to get it to where it is now. I can't for the life of me get it the rest of the way off. I got so pissed off I threw the whole thing in the garbage only to fish it out a few hours later (I have 3 other BLX185 motors). This all started with a stripped grub screw.

There is a lip on the end of the shaft preventing the gear from coming off. You could slice along the length of the gear on both sides with a dremel being careful not to hit the shaft. Then split the gear with a screwdriver.

There is a lip on the end of the shaft preventing the gear from coming off. You could slice along the length of the gear on both sides with a dremel being careful not to hit the shaft. Then split the gear with a screwdriver.
I'm trying to save the pinion. Do you think that would ruin it? ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back