Fireteam Stripped grub screw?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once the pin is out you should be able to easily slide them off and install your new hexes.

Edit: you’ll still need to remove the grub screw now that I think about it. Might need a new axle end… can’t remember what their called atm. 🤔 But hopefully once the pin is out it will relieve some pressure on the grub. Lots of heat helps too.

Last edited:
Punch the pin out.
I always see people say stuff like this but I never have any idea what it means or how to do it lol. I know you need some type of tool but what exactly?

I always see people say stuff like this but I never have any idea what it means or how to do it lol. I know you need some type of tool but what exactly?
Here they are. Remember to cuss loud.

IMG_20230505_122905507.jpg

IMG_20230505_123130539_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230505_123051466.jpg

After I’m done eating I’ll take a pic of what I mean.

Ok @Moirae these are considered punches, ideally you’d have one that doesn’t taper and is the same size as the pin.
8CC4180A-65CE-4A3E-9DDF-C062D8494130.jpeg

You could get creative and use a nail or screwdriver ect. but a punch would be the proper tool.

Once you’ve acquired some kind of punch then put it directly on the end of the pin and hit the punch with a hammer or any heavy object nearby. The pin should pop out the other side. Then removal of the grub screw should be much easier to get out. That is if you haven’t already destroyed said grub..
F020E802-9DAA-4ED8-9DFD-C55A920E5B76.jpeg
EB528863-E957-4A8C-88D7-2C832C07E4E3.jpeg
B3DA9B06-43F7-4B97-971F-A9D764DB9498.jpeg
9D153D30-2108-4585-840C-6DEC6243696B.jpeg

Ok @Moirae these are considered punches, ideally you’d have one that doesn’t taper and is the same size as the pin. View attachment 310646
You could get creative and use a nail or screwdriver ect. but a punch would be the proper tool.

Once you’ve acquired some kind of punch then put it directly on the end of the pin and hit the punch with a hammer or any heavy object nearby. The pin should pop out the other side. Then removal of the grub screw should be much easier to get out. That is if you haven’t already destroyed said grub..
View attachment 310647View attachment 310648View attachment 310649View attachment 310650
Thanks bro really appreciate it! :love:

LHS recommended Dynamite hex drivers. I’ve been pretty happy with these with the exception of the ink identifying the size quickly wore off.
I also use dynamite drivers. They have served me well and not stripped out. They also have replaceable tips. Mip's are better but also more $. My hammer in first pic is still my tool of choice however.

Yes, the @Hammer Down method works well. The smaller the punch the better. I’ve stopped locktiting these hub screws a few years back. Arrma with their locktite……phucking crazy.

I always use a spare pin to tap other pins out if needed.
You can try to heat the axle with a torch ligher until you'll see a little bit of smoke. This will burn any remaining locktite an the axle will expand a little bit. Maybe with a screw extractor you can get the grub screw out. I managed to get a pinion grub screw out this way once, but failed with an wheel hex grub screw. I'm still running with one stripped wheel grub screw for about two years or so. It's not an Arrma car and I didn't want to buy a set of new CVD's for just one stripped grub screw.

You don't need any locktite on wheel hex grub screws. Try to remove the locktite on the others and run without locktite.
Just tap the pin out like as others mentioned. Clean the pin, use a nail file to get it smooth if there is any remaining locktite, rust or dirt on it.
Clean the holes with a dental cleaning stick: I always use these 👇 for those hard to reach spots.
Try to re-install the pin and file off a bit more untill it just fits. The wheel hex will prevent the pin falling out, so there is only a risk of the pin falling out when you take the wheel off.

1689054721482.png

Recently I come across these a local pick up store. They are even better as they won't flex as much as the dental ones.
1689054817575.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back