Notorious ARA330659 Front Upper Suspension Mount - Why no grub screws?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eno

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave
  2. Notorious
  3. Senton 3s
The set comes with two 3x6 BCS which seems odd to me. They are also sticking out 2-3mm which I don't like. I am going to change them to 3x4 grub screws I guess. I know the hex will be smaller (1.5 vs 2.0) but it's usually deep enough with these grub screws.

Has anybody done the same?

DSC_1553.JPG

I haven’t changed them out, but I agree I thought it was weird (and not very “clean” looking) when I got them.

Make sure your upper pins are fully seating.
If not, they will sit up like that.

After upgrading to EXB & aftermarket front towers, I found that I had to recess the front of the towers where the pins went through in order for the screws to fully seat. I used caphead hex screws & swapped out a few sizes for a cleaner look. I checked that they were actually locked in with the screws by prying on the upper suspension pin heads at the front towers to make absolutely sure they were locked in.

Make sure your upper pins are fully seating.
If not, they will sit up like that.

After upgrading to EXB & aftermarket front towers, I found that I had to recess the front of the towers where the pins went through in order for the screws to fully seat. I used caphead hex screws & swapped out a few sizes for a cleaner look. I checked that they were actually locked in with the screws by prying on the upper suspension pin heads at the front towers to make absolutely sure they were locked in.
Hmmmm…. I should probably check mine. Especially since my NOTO gets less love and maintenance than anything else in my fleet!

Make sure your upper pins are fully seating

They are.
I know it doesn't look as clean but I would take that over a grub just for the chance of stripping the grub screw. Thats the worst

FWIW, the Vitavon mount uses grub screws as well.

The grub screws I've ordered are made from H45 steel, they shouldn't strip out that easily.

The set comes with two 3x6 BCS which seems odd to me. They are also sticking out 2-3mm which I don't like. I am going to change them to 3x4 grub screws I guess. I know the hex will be smaller (1.5 vs 2.0) but it's usually deep enough with these grub screws.

Has anybody done the same?

View attachment 344102
Replaced mine with M3x3 with blue Loctite.

I know it doesn't look as clean but I would take that over a grub just for the chance of stripping the grub screw. Thats the worst
+!
Absolutely.
Grub screws are never your friend, if you don't absolutely need them, don't.
And these button head "set screws" need to be lightly Blue Thread locked at that, FWIW. IMHO. The 4 lower Shock Pin Button head screws secure them and "Look" fine What matters is that they are functional.
The stock upper hinge pin Screws are just fine at the rear B block. You are over thinking this.

Last edited:
I've found that purple lock tight, low strength, works really well on screws like that or the steering posts. I've used purple for about 2 years & it has never backed out & is a breeze to remove. I don't use it on axle grubs or aluminum diff housings, etc. I have the same aluminum mount like yours & it came with those button heads, & I installed just like you got it. No issues.

I've found that purple lock tight, low strength, works really well on screws like that or the steering posts. I've used purple for about 2 years & it has never backed out & is a breeze to remove. I don't use it on axle grubs or aluminum diff housings, etc. I have the same aluminum mount like yours & it came with those button heads, & I installed just like you got it. No issues.
I recently bought a 6ml bottle of Loctite 222 (purple) to try out. The jury is still out though.

I recently bought a 6ml bottle of Loctite 222 (purple) to try out. The jury is still out though.
Mine is Vibra-TITE brand, I bet Loctite is better. I've had good results. For BLUE I use the Loctite stick type. Like a chap stick dispenser. Grad a little out with a toothpick, apply to the screw & it stays put. Works good. Had the same stick for years & it's still good.

Mine is Vibra-TITE brand, I bet Loctite is better. I've had good results. For BLUE I use the Loctite stick type. Like a chap stick dispenser. Grad a little out with a toothpick, apply to the screw & it stays put. Works good. Had the same stick for years & it's still good.
I prefer the paste. The liquid just makes a mess and much gets wasted.

I prefer the paste. The liquid just makes a mess and much gets wasted.
Exactly. And I've had the liquid dry up. I even have some green Loctite somewhere in my toolboxes. It's a seeping type. I use to use it on car & truck stuff. Apply after bolt is installed & it worked.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back