Talion Talion 6s Reciever upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxPlumber

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
If I wanted to get a new radio and receiver for my talion does it make a difference if what "s" rating it is. Also what's something pretty decent in the 50-60.00 range? Or should I just save for something better

So I just got a talion (v4 as I have kindly been corrected) and have as well determined the stx2 is garbage. I did not notice until really opening the car up in a park where the delay at high speeds became noticeable. And have lost comms a couple times at range that shouldn't have been an issue. Also heeded SrC's danger warning, have the DumboRc-X6 arriving tomorrow. Not fancy but is supposed to have excellent range and quick response, and has gyro capability. I'll let you know how it goes, was also considering the Radiolink RC4GS but it was out of stock until 3/8 yesterday when I looked. Just looked at the link and they magically have one now...

Don't think I ever heard of an 'S' rating but, even if, it's meaningless.
You definitely want the $ rating i.e. bang for your buck ;)

Good choices are above.

Good choices are abo

Good choices are above.
Yeah im a noob. Maybe I worded it wrong..."s" rating 2s,3s,4s,6s,8s you know wtf I meant. And if you don't then you're more ignorant about it than me. If you've got nothing constructive to add then just scroll on by. Thanks

What are your plans for R.C.? Are you going to have a few cars where you have one radio for each car or are you planning on having a good number and would like one radio to control all of them? If it's the latter, you're looking at a computerized radio that has multi-model capabilities (binding to several receivers).

What are your plans for R.C.? Are you going to have a few cars where you have one radio for each car or are you planning on having a good number and would like one radio to control all of them? If it's the latter, you're looking at a computerized radio that has multi-model capabilities (binding to several receivers).
In the future I'm positive I'll have more. But for now I have my talion 6s which I think I need a better radio. And my 11yo daughter has granite 3s. Her radio seems to work great. So I guess for now it would be the former

No harm done, I never heard of an 'S' rating with respect to transmitter/receiver. That had me thrown for a loop.
Now that you elaborated a bit that is only for the type of battery for your rig and has nothing to do with picking a transmitter/receiver.

No harm done, I never heard of an 'S' rating with respect to transmitter/receiver. That had me thrown for a loop.
Now that you elaborated a bit that is only for the type of battery for your rig and has nothing to do with picking a transmitter/receiver.
Thank you for your input. I'm still new to this and trying to figure it out

Check the classified, there is a DX3 system for $60 , problem is that the receiver will be an extreme tight fit and probably not work without a minor mod.
The Dumbo or RC4GS are good but suggest looking at some youtube videos. People have issues setting them up regardless.
Honestly, any radio is better than what came with the Talion, sad to say.

So I just got a talion (v4 as I have kindly been corrected) and have as well determined the stx2 is garbage. I did not notice until really opening the car up in a park where the delay at high speeds became noticeable. And have lost comms a couple times at range that shouldn't have been an issue. Also heeded SrC's danger warning, have the DumboRc-X6 arriving tomorrow. Not fancy but is supposed to have excellent range and quick response, and has gyro capability. I'll let you know how it goes, was also considering the Radiolink RC4GS but it was out of stock until 3/8 yesterday when I looked. Just looked at the link and they magically have one now...
When I got the V1 Mojave and the V4 Kraton they both came with STX2's. I knew that before the purchase and knew of the complaints. So when I tried it for the first time on my 6s Kraton, I drove it for barely 10 minutes, packed it up and went home. I have better multi model radios here anyway and needed to see for myself how bad the STX 2 was. Dam crap was garbage, worse than I thought considering the bad reviews. In that 10 minutes, I even changed out new AA's for another set of AA's . I couldn't believe how bad it was. Signal drop's, driver input latency. Felt so disconnected from driver input. Range was crap. I think I got the worst of them all.:ROFLMAO: When I got my V1 Mojave, that STX 2 was tossed to the side from the get go. Reciever and all.
Hooked up my Noble NB4. All straight again.
Check the classified, there is a DX3 system for $60 , problem is that the receiver will be an extreme tight fit and probably not work without a minor mod.
The Dumbo or RC4GS are good but suggest looking at some youtube videos. People have issues setting them up regardless.
Honestly, any radio is better than what came with the Talion, sad to say.
Arrma has the oversized Rx box available now for larger RX's. ( 6s rigs) I think first seen on the EXB 6s Kraton. It's an option part now.

I think there is a learning curve with most radio's. Even Futaba's (highly regarded) have been reviewed a few times as hard to navigate. I think its subjective to those users. 🤷‍♂️ I have several radios here. They all basically do the same. I cant say one is truly easier or harder than the rest. They are all individually user friendly and intuitive in their own way once you learn them.:cool:

Last edited:
In the future I'm positive I'll have more. But for now I have my talion 6s which I think I need a better radio. And my 11yo daughter has granite 3s. Her radio seems to work great. So I guess for now it would be the former

At your $60 price point, maybe a DumboRC X6: https://www.amazon.com/DUMBORC-X6-Transmitter-Receiver-Protections-Controller/dp/B07Q112TQF

or an DX3 takeoff: https://jennysrc.com/collections/fe...m-spektrum-dx3-infraction-srs6100at-ara7617v2

Personally, I'd stretch a little more for a Spektrum DX5 or Futaba 3PV in the ~$150 range. In addition to the multi-model capability, they have a computerized system for setting travel endpoints, expo, etc. which makes setting these things much easier with no switches/knobs to accidentally bump and knock out of whack. Somewhere in between is the Radiolink RC6GS for around $80 which is supposed to have phenomenal range, but I've never tried one so I don't know how they are.

I was thinking about a radiolink RC4GS V2. How's the range really on these? Is it good enough for a speed run. I have DumboRC transmitters, but I'm tired of the number of transmitters I have around. I have Flysky Gt3B, but it's maxed out and for my early Traxxas cars. Looking for someone who has one to give me their opinion.

For the price you're looking for I'd say go with a Tactic. Simple setup, pretty good range and easy operation.

The first time I drove with that god-awful STX2 I lost the car...in an open park. I'm zipping back and forth across adjacent baseball fields and the car disappears. I stop using the radio and take the proverbial "walk" to where I saw it last which wasn't even that far. NO CAR. Took me and hour to find the car. Luckily and I mean luckily the car jumped a curb and the battery got disconnected but it was farther away from where I lost sight than the actual distance I was driving. Can't explain it. I went back the next day to the LHS where I bought the car and he recommended the Tactic.

I was thinking about a radiolink RC4GS V2. How's the range really on these? Is it good enough for a speed run. I have DumboRC transmitters, but I'm tired of the number of transmitters I have around. I have Flysky Gt3B, but it's maxed out and for my early Traxxas cars. Looking for someone who has one to give me their opinion.
RC6GS Radiolink . Have it. Recommend it. There is much discussion elswehere on this radio. As cheap as it is ($80.), the range of the Version 2 with included 2 wire antenna Rx has longest range. Everyone will split hairs on this. Short of modifying a Futaba radio, This is the best. I use it on my Lim. It beats out my other more expensive radios including my Noble NB4. A nice radio that can be used with a 4k mah Lipo 2s battery instead of AA's if you want.
Guys running $3k +speed runners use it instead of their Fut. 7PX's.
Is 2,000 ft range enough for you???:LOL:

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back