Talion Talion EXB or Traxxas XRT??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve beaten the dog doo doo out of my OG X-Maxx for two years and never had a pinion/spur issue. My sister’s boyfriend however wrecked two sets in back to back outings. Just weird how some people get lucky I guess. I’ve never had an issue with the Traxxas pin system, but I started with it. For the guys who are used to setting their own mesh I can see why it’s an annoyance.

Fair enough✌
Just goes to show how differently we all use our stuff I guess.
I'm not complaining of the TRX 8s drivetrain since it hasn't given me any trouble, just that the diff cups do wear more quickly than what I see in my 6s Arrma's.
I'm still rocking original pinion/spur gears on my Xmaxx. I think the pin system TRX uses for the motor mount combined with the amount of flex in the chassis causes the gear failures..🤷‍♂️
Also, I rarely break either, I'd say 9.9 out of 10 bashes they're still going strong. Yeah, I'm "light duty" as a basher I guess 😉🤣🤣

I am definitely on the Kevin Talbot end of the bashing scale that's for sure! My X-Maxx, second pack in I stripped the pinion out the box, the XRT the first big lazy backflip at the skatepark on my 1st pack and they were gone (had a hardened steel set ready in the toolbox as I was expecting it). It's definitely chassis flex that's the killer as I removed the pins.

If I am going big, my Arrma's start falling to bits a lot quicker than the Traxxas stuff. But Arrma's feel like a precision scalpel compared to an XRT.

I've just pulled the Talion out the shed as I enjoyed it so much last night and was hoping to play tonight. Giving it a quick once over and it looks like an input bearing has collapsed on the rear diff. I have zero luck with my Arrma's

I’ve beaten the dog doo doo out of my OG X-Maxx for two years and never had a pinion/spur issue. My sister’s boyfriend however wrecked two sets in back to back outings. Just weird how some people get lucky I guess. I’ve never had an issue with the Traxxas pin system, but I started with it. For the guys who are used to setting their own mesh I can see why it’s an annoyance.
It's not the annoyance, more the mesh never felt right with the pins. You can get a better mesh without the pins

I've been through at least 4 ring gears on my xrt and thankfully I finally have it shimmed enough for it to not be a problem anymore. My arrmas? I never even knew about shimming for first half of being in the hobby and it didn't matter.

I've yet to ever have an arrma ring/input gear just eat itself like I have with traxxas. I did just have the rear diff on my limitless v2 snap the end of the outdrive cup that holds the pin. I also just had my limitless v1 center diff have something similar happen. I haven't taken it apart yet but it's either the pin snapped or the end of the outdrive cup snapped again.

Before these recent incidents I've had amazing luck with arrma diffs. It's also not very fair to blame them though if i'm being honest. I'm using a 58112mm motor on 8s and hooning around. Diffs needed to be refilled with thicker diff fluid too lol.

I think if I hadn't actually checked my gear mesh, I would have never known.. I mean I ran my Xmaxx for quite some time without any gear issues, and actually still never have had an issue.. kinda weird cuz straight out of the box my Xmaxx had a gear noise, sorta like one of the gears was out of round or something. It went away after say 6 packs through the truck. All good. I only noticed the gear mesh after attempting to put a 20t pinion on. Wouldn't fit with stock (54t?) spur, so the 18t pinion went back on, which is when I noticed the poor mesh..in hindsight I now realize that it's just the wear that made the mesh incorrect.. oh well. I have the pins laying around somewhere if I ever decide to go back. I'm now running 20/46 with smaller than stock tires (Dinero SC), I do have at 50t spur on standby if needed.

I'm still rocking original pinion/spur gears on my Xmaxx. I think the pin system TRX uses for the motor mount combined with the amount of flex in the chassis causes the gear failures..🤷‍♂️

Broke so many spurs and pinions on my XMaxx. Solved the problem by going one pin tighter with the stock motor.
And rear diffs - I did do a lot of high and merciless jumps though with heavier than stock tires.

20221222_170747.jpg

Last edited:
Broke so many spurs and pinions on my XMaxx. Solved the problem by going one pin tighter with the stock motor.
And rear diffs - I did do a lot of high and merciless jumps though with heavier than stock tires.

View attachment 306792
Cha-ching!! That gets expensive quickly I bet? One position tighter with new gears or after some use/wear? I did try going one slot tighter but felt too tight. Think the gears were pretty much new, not sure. Too many rigs to keep track of.
If I ever end up replacing the stock motor, I'll end up with an aftermarket mount for sure given the price of the Vilenion. It's fine for my use, just not worth what it costs..

Actually I broke more than on the picture. I burnt the stock XMaxx motor recently. Had changed a bearing a while back - simply overheated. Max6 ESC stayed in the XMaxx. So went for M2C and Hobbywing 1100KV in XMaxx. Mounts are too expensive but what are options...

One position tighter on the stock motor right from the beginning. It felt tight, but the gears didn't break.

FYI my Talion is completely stock other than EXB chassis/centre brace.

Other way round for me. When left standard (or how my X-maxx now is) the driveline is pretty bulletproof once you've replaced the spur/pinion. My Arrma's are constantly going through diff parts. It's actually why I shelved them as my XRT 9 times out of 10 comes back running, whereas my Arrma's it's 1 in 10.

Hoping the EXB diffs and shims I've ordered give me a bit more play time!
The Talion EXB diffs specifically are very dialed in, as opposed to the other 6s EXB diffs needing different shimming on a case-by-case basis.

All I’ve done is normally scheduled diff maintenance on my Talion EXB and they all look brand new after about 50 packs. Keep in mind this is popping wheelies with backflip 4s tires in short grass with tons of traction

Last edited:
The Talion EXB diffs specifically are very dialed in, as opposed to the other 6s EXB diffs needing different shimming on a case-by-case basis.

All I’ve done is normally scheduled diff maintenance on my Talion EXB and they all look brand new after about 50 packs. Keep in mind this is popping wheelies with backflip 4s tires in short grass with tons of traction
I'm in the midst of converting my Arrma's to 29mm diffs, I've thrown in the towel on the non EXB diffs

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back