Talion Talion EXB owners locktite your wheels ASAP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kSetuni

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Mojave
  3. Notorious
  4. Talion
  5. Vorteks
Hi everyone,

Talion EXB owners locktite your wheels ASAP.

Yesterday I was running my talion for the first time. I had gone through it and checked everything and it was all tight. Before running i again tightened the wheels. After a few speed runs in the parking lot and then a couple decent jumps that i landed, the right rear wheel came off because the lock nut came off.. Shortly afterward, another owner had the same thing happen with the same wheel. He replaced the nut then ran it for a short bit more. It then came off again but this time it stripped the hex ruining the wheel.

I have put blue locktite on my wheels this morning before going out to run it again. I did notice that although the hubs are tight, there is about 1/8" play in all wheels. Im new to RC so I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

I have reached out to M2C racing to see if they have any locking hubs that will work like they do for the mojave.

Hi everyone,

Talion EXB owners locktite your wheels ASAP.

Yesterday I was running my talion for the first time. I had gone through it and checked everything and it was all tight. Before running i again tightened the wheels. After a few speed runs in the parking lot and then a couple decent jumps that i landed, the right rear wheel came off because the lock nut came off.. Shortly afterward, another owner had the same thing happen with the same wheel. He replaced the nut then ran it for a short bit more. It then came off again but this time it stripped the hex ruining the wheel.

I have put blue locktite on my wheels this morning before going out to run it again. I did notice that although the hubs are tight, there is about 1/8" play in all wheels. Im new to RC so I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

I have reached out to M2C racing to see if they have any locking hubs that will work like they do for the mojave.
I seen this happen to @TpPartsRcXtreme to. And I noticed that to that the hex's where tight but the hole isnt as tight as the backflips or others wheels. Idk if that has anything to do with it tho. But I haven't ran mine waiting on some parts. But I put the m2c nuts on mine.

I seen this happen to @TpPartsRcXtreme to. And I noticed that to that the hex's where tight but the hole isnt as tight as the backflips or others wheels. Idk if that has anything to do with it tho. But I haven't ran mine waiting on some parts. But I put the m2c nuts on mine.
I was going to do the m2c hubs and double nut. Ive heard they are the same as any other 17mm. Im just waiting for confirmation of that.

Old problem, yes I use loctite on my wheels as well. Let us know how the M2c work out, probably my next upgrade but this is a non issue on Backflip LP tires and slightly higher diff oil.

This issue is not new.

It happens in the cars that have exb diffs, the lsd pads locks under load and transfer more power to a single wheel than it can handle. The hex slips, and while the wheel free spin it opens the wheel nut. That’s why it always happens on the right side, the left side actually tighten the nut as it slips.

loctite will not help, nor M2C hexes, all it will do is help keeping the nut, but the hex still strips.

On the Mohave, Arrma updated the wheels with strengthen hexes. They need to do the same for the Talion wheels.

for now the best recourse is to use no LSD plates on the rear diff (and use low viscosity as well, like 10k and under)

This issue is not new.

It happens in the cars that have exb diffs, the lsd pads locks under load and transfer more power to a single wheel than it can handle. The hex slips, and while the wheel free spin it opens the wheel nut. That’s why it always happens on the right side, the left side actually tighten the nut as it slips.

loctite will not help, nor M2C hexes, all it will do is help keeping the nut, but the hex still strips.

On the Mohave, Arrma updated the wheels with strengthen hexes. They need to do the same for the Talion wheels.

for now the best recourse is to use no LSD plates on the rear diff (and use low viscosity as well, like 10k and under)
Yonic so you are saying that we need to disassemble and modify a brand new diff because the wheel cant handle the power? that seems rather odd.

Then we have you saying lower the rear diff fluid and someone saying to raise it. Which one is it?

Last edited:
So we need to disassemble and modify a brand new diff because the wheel cant handle the power? that seems rather odd.

The we have you saying lower the rear diff fluid and someone saying to raise it. Which one is it?

That’s a bit off putting to be honest. So I would have to modify the diff and change the fluid or the wheels are going to fall off? Sort of defeats some of the point of an RTR. Was planning on buying one of these tomorrow but reconsidering now.

Is that really the only fix?

That’s a bit off putting to be honest. So I would have to modify the diff and change the fluid or the wheels are going to fall off? Sort of defeats some of the point of an RTR. Was planning on buying one of these tomorrow but reconsidering now.

Is that really the only fix?
Thats why I'm asking as we have conflicting information being put forth by people here.

I do have a support ticket in with HH atm about this as I figure they owe be at least two wheel nuts. Thankfully I've not stripped a wheel but if I do they are replacing it too.

I know with the blue locktite it didnt come loose the next day of running.

Careful as we are mixing diff types (LSD/ standard) and experiences with them. Also, very dependent on surface (traction).

The higher the diff resistance, the more power will go to the wheel with traction. I had better luck with higher than normal diff fluids (30k) but there might be other reasons involved. Logically and only looking at transferred power the lower diff fluid argument is valid. This is a very old issue, probably in existence from day one, minimum V3 on the Talion.

Better hexes should help a little as the existing ones barely cover 2/3 of the plastic hex in the tire.

Can also be controlled by a little less throttle when the wheels lift. You will learn to adjust after blowing a pair.
Successfully repaired several tires as well with JBWeld.

Careful as we are mixing diff types (LSD/ standard) and experiences with them. Also, very dependent on surface (traction).

The higher the diff resistance, the more power will go to the wheel with traction. I had better luck with higher than normal diff fluids (30k) but there might be other reasons involved. Logically and only looking at transferred power the lower diff fluid argument is valid. This is a very old issue, probably in existence from day one, minimum V3 on the Talion.

Better hexes should help a little as the existing ones barely cover 2/3 of the plastic hex in the tire.

Can also be controlled by a little less throttle when the wheels lift. You will learn to adjust after blowing a pair.
Successfully repaired several tires as well with JBWeld.
Thank you for the detailed feedback. So your suggestions are for the EXB talion with the lsd diffs or the prior models? Would different wheel assys make a difference?

Its sad that its an old issue that hasnt been addressed yet.

I'm using loctite on the nuts, that helps, but next can be the wheel hex wearing out your hexes in the tires.
I repair those with JBWeld and that is typically the end of it. You can try removing the LSD plates but read up on that, not familiar myself. You probably have to add shims etc.

Or go the M2C route.

For a hex repair, use a wheel hex (alu) and cover it with clear tape, you can use that as a form for your stripped tire hex. Mix some JB and fill the tire, press in the hex and let sit overnight. Next day you can tap out the hex from the other side, and you have a perfect repair. I have yet to strip those tires again, they wear out before they break again. Obviously, remove any excess JB before it cures.

I was going to do the m2c hubs and double nut. Ive heard they are the same as any other 17mm. Im just waiting for confirmation of that.
Well, i used 278 locktite...i regret that, cuz the rim cant hold the hex, and nut is slipping inside the rim trying to loosen it 🤣..need to heat it over 200c 😏😜

M2C did confirm their 17mm double locking hubs/nuts will work so I may try a set. If not Ill have a set for something else.

Stripped hex. Stock gearing.

Maybe I got a bad one... but my Talion EXB is GARBAGE!

20210804_122202.jpg

20210804_122216.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 162059

View attachment 162060

Unfortunately this issue has nothing to do with gearing. It has everything to do with the diff and how it overloads the tire (wheel and hex interaction) in a way that the plastic wheel hex cant hold the torque. I just had this exact thing happen to me on my Mojave. It sucks but it happens. Im upgrading to the M2C hexes and Ill see if that helps any.

Also....since your EXB is "garbage" Ill gladly take your garbage off your hands haha....but seriously tho ;)

Unfortunately this issue has nothing to do with gearing. It has everything to do with the diff and how it overloads the tire (wheel and hex interaction) in a way that the plastic wheel hex cant hold the torque. I just had this exact thing happen to me on my Mojave. It sucks but it happens. Im upgrading to the M2C hexes and Ill see if that helps any.

Also....since your EXB is "garbage" Ill gladly take your garbage off your hands haha....but seriously tho ;)
I'll sell it to you!! Lol.

the v2 Mojave moved to thicker hexes (for more engagement with the wheel) and also lately (after the release of the exb Mojave) the wheels themselves were updated to have more material around the hex.

it seems that the exb Talion didn’t get any of these treatments.

anyway, as I said before, on my Talion I don’t have these issues using an open rear diff. I would suggest trying using the shins instead of the the LSD plated.

Ill try doing that!

The updated hexs didn't help the Mojave. All 4 of mine were stripped when I removed them all to install my M2C extenders.

I have videos of my 4 year old and I doing jumps at 50% throttle just before the wheels stripped on the Talion.

Nothing about the Talion EXB is "extreme". Doesn't even come with a fan on the motor.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back