Tesla Cybertruck // Everything we want to know

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard GM is scaling way back on EV's? True?
I would love to have an EV for my commute to work, 16 miles each way, all 2 lane roads, 1 redlight. Would be perfect, 200 mile range would carry me all week..but, can I buy one for $15k or less? I think not? I just bought a Scion xb with 150k on it for $3k 2.5 years ago. I get nearly 2 weeks back and forth to work on a tank. There's just simply no comparison in terms of affordability in an EV or Hybrid. I know, I can pick up a Prius used for pretty cheap but, if it needs a battery, as most do after 10 years or so..forget about it.

I would love to have an EV for my commute to work, 16 miles each way, all 2 lane roads, 1 redlight. Would be perfect, 200 mile range would carry me all week..but, can I buy one for $15k or less? I think not? I just bought a Scion xb with 150k on it for $3k 2.5 years ago. I get nearly 2 weeks back and forth to work on a tank. There's just simply no comparison in terms of affordability in an EV or Hybrid. I know, I can pick up a Prius used for pretty cheap but, if it needs a battery, as most do after 10 years or so..forget about it.
No joke, man. Aren’t the replacement Prius battery banks like $6k to replace?

You're much more trusting than I.. $100k for a vehicle whose manufacturer could easily be dead and gone before the warranty runs out seems crazy to me. Then again, FoMoCo could be gone in 2024 for all we know.

Not likely..
Another ICE car company would probably snatch it up for pennies on the dollar and Absorb them into their own to get a fast leg up on EV tech.

I'm not 100% certain..
But I think I heard something about that.

Years ago, I happen to bump into someone driving one of the original Geo Metros...
I was surprised to noticed it has fully independent suspension for the rear axles.. so I made a comment about it and the owner said what's even more surprising is that he's able to "get 50MPG from that tiny car.. Perfect for commutes around town on a 5-speed manual"

No joke, man. Aren’t the replacement Prius battery banks like $6k to replace?
I don't know the actual price, but can see it easily elipsing the value of the car. I'll have to ask my buddy here at work when he comes in. He was on a Prius kick a few years back, buying, fixing, driving and selling them. Had like 4 of them at a time.🤔🤷‍♂️🤣 I remember him trying to sell me one to replace my aging Tercel. Think he wanted like $2500 for a Prius with 225k on the ODO? Nah, I'm good. I know the Prius gets crazy fuel mileage compared to my traditional gassers but, there's just soo much more to go wrong. I like that I can repair my Scion myself. Speaking of which, needs new front sub frame..damned road salt!!🤬
Years ago, I happen to bump into someone driving one of the original Geo Metros...
I was surprised to noticed it has fully independent suspension for the rear axles.. so I made a comment about it and the owner said what's even more surprising is that he's able to "get 50MPG from that tiny car.. Perfect for commutes around town on a 5-speed manual"
Oh yeah!! I remember them, 3 cylinder Suzuki motor I believe? I'd say they were ugly AF but, I'm driving a toaster so maybe I'll refrain..😉🤣

I don't know the actual price, but can see it easily elipsing the value of the car. I'll have to ask my buddy here at work when he comes in. He was on a Prius kick a few years back, buying, fixing, driving and selling them. Had like 4 of them at a time.🤔🤷‍♂️🤣 I remember him trying to sell me one to replace my aging Tercel. Think he wanted like $2500 for a Prius with 225k on the ODO? Nah, I'm good. I know the Prius gets crazy fuel mileage compared to my traditional gassers but, there's just soo much more to go wrong. I like that I can repair my Scion myself. Speaking of which, needs new front sub frame..damned road salt!!🤬

Oh yeah!! I remember them, 3 cylinder Suzuki motor I believe? I'd say they were ugly AF but, I'm driving a toaster so maybe I'll refrain..😉🤣
Prius highway mileage is not stellar. My Dodge Neon got 40mpg on the highway compared with 42mpg for a Prius my buddy used to have. They’re fantastic around town on electric, though.

Prius highway mileage is not stellar. My Dodge Neon got 40mpg on the highway compared with 42mpg for a Prius my buddy used to have. They’re fantastic around town on electric, though.
I can believe that, out on the interstate the prius is carrying quite a load I would think? I mean it's got batteries, electric motor(s), controller(s) AND a gas engine, fuel tank.. I never understood how that's more efficient than just a small, well designed combustion engine and fuel tank. I know, it generates power from kinetic energy to recharge the batteries.. but truly only effective when coasting down hill, no? At which time a traditional gasser surely isn't using much if any fuel.

I can believe that, out on the interstate the prius is carrying quite a load I would think? I mean it's got batteries, electric motor(s), controller(s) AND a gas engine, fuel tank.. I never understood how that's more efficient than just a small, well designed combustion engine and fuel tank. I know, it generates power from kinetic energy to recharge the batteries.. but truly only effective when coasting down hill, no? At which time a traditional gasser surely isn't using much if any fuel.
I totally agree with you. By the way, allow me a brief rant…
That Neon I mentioned was a total budget stripper and a great little car. One of the best, most reliable, and most efficient cars I’ve ever owned. I was putting over 75,000 miles a year on my cars at the time due to some very long commutes and was a total MPG nerd, I checked my mileage with practically every tank. That car got a solid 40mpg for over three years. All of a sudden, like flipping a switch, I dropped to 34-35. It took me awhile to figure out the loss until it occurred to me that it occurred when Vermont started using 10% ethanol fuels. It dropped my mileage 15%! So now Americans are all of a sudden burning 15% more fuel? This is “eco-friendly?” Bull$hit.
Some of our EPA directives are straight stupid. Small economy cars in Europe have had three cylinder diesel engines getting over 75mpg for years but the U.S. would never allow them to be homologated here. The Big Oil lobby, planet (and our pocket books) be damned.
Rant over, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

I totally agree with you. By the way, allow me a brief rant…
That Neon I mentioned was a total budget stripper and a great little car. One of the best, most reliable, and most efficient cars I’ve ever owned. I was putting over 75,000 miles a year on my cars at the time due to some very long commutes and was a total MPG nerd, I checked my mileage with practically every tank. That car got a solid 40mpg for over three years. All of a sudden, like flipping a switch, I dropped to 34-35. It took me awhile to figure out the loss until it occurred to me that it occurred when Vermont started using 10% ethanol fuels. It dropped my mileage 15%! So now Americans are all of a sudden burning 15% more fuel? This is “eco-friendly?” Bull$hit.
Some of our EPA directives are straight stupid. Small economy cars in Europe have had three cylinder diesel engines getting over 75mpg for years but the U.S. would never allow them to be homologated here. The Big Oil lobby, planet (and our pocket books) be damned.
Rant over, back to our regularly scheduled programming.
Interesting.. I can believe the reduced mpg. IIRC, isn't the 10% ethanol supposedly to help reduce our dependency on foreign oil? I bet there was also some BS thrown in there about environmental concerns as well..🙄👌 lets see, 10% reduction of foreign oil, 15%reduction in fuel mileage? Yup, checks out perfectly, "they'll never know"..

isn't the 10% ethanol supposedly to help reduce our dependency on foreign oil? I bet there was also some BS thrown in there about environmental concerns as well..

It mostly creates a market for corn. I think there was some initial talk about environmental concerns but you tend to get worse gas mileage, so I feel like that's probably kind of a wash.

It mostly creates a market for corn. I think there was some initial talk about environmental concerns but you tend to get worse gas mileage, so I feel like that's probably kind of a wash.

Something about saving the farmers..

But I think some how it's directed at the Mega farm corporations more so than the individual small farmers.

But I think some how it's directed at the Mega farm corporations more so than the individual small farmers.

To my knowledge, it's not directed at anyone in particular. I suspect most refiners buy off the general corn market.

Something about saving the farmers..

Of course it is..money goes to money. Have a look at ethanol and what it's effects are on food supply and environment.. short version, there's still no such thing as "free lunch". Everything comes at a cost. I'm not claiming to be knowledgeable in the matter, a quick google search opened up a wormhole..shocker!🤣🤣

What do you guys think of the upcoming Silverado EV? https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/silverado-ev

I wonder how GM is going to do in this sector.

I have a couple co-workers that said the first gen Volt EV's and subsequent plug in hybrids are very reliable and overbuilt. Just hearsay but good to hear! Besides the battery recall on the "Bolts" I hear they are good too? The price seems reasonable as well (27k to start).

Just my opinion I think Plug in Hybrids are a great way to fill the efficiency gap. Not a fan of the uber connected vehicles with full OTA updates and such..
I would totally buy the Ford/Chevy/Toyota before any Tesla or Rivian. Back to buttons, knobs and a spaceship with wheels. If I'm going to drive a space ship it will be this one.
1959-cadillac-eldorado-profile1.jpg

When the Bolt when the first came out, I went and looked at it. The vegan seat was a bit narrow for my extra wide carnivore posterior. However, I have a friend that is larger than me and even thought he looks like Donkey Kong on a go kart, he loves the thing.

You could very well likely be PAID to take the Prius....lol kidding

Back