The moment you realized there is no cure for RC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKUNKWORK SC

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Senton 6s
  3. Talion
I got back into RC a year and a half ago, since the early 90's. Started out with the cheap brushed stuff like Redcat, Traxxas Slash etc, then converting to brushless. Although fun, I got bored way too quickly. The moment came when I bought a used Senton 6s on Ebay. For the first time I put two 3 cell batteries in, pulled the trigger and oh sheeeeeet!? It was all over for me after that.

I got back into RC a year and a half ago, since the early 90's. Started out with the cheap brushed stuff like Redcat, Traxxas Slash etc, then converting to brushless. Although fun, I got bored way too quickly. The moment came when I bought a used Senton 6s on Ebay. For the first time I put two 3 cell batteries in, pulled the trigger and oh sheeeeeet!? It was all over for me after that.
I felt the same way when I first ran the Kraton. I was used to 1/10 scale on 3S. So when i ran a 1/8 scale on 6S it was eye popping. The size and speed was initially overwhelming and had a few bang ups getting used to it...and still do ?

I felt the same way when I first ran the Kraton. I was used to 1/10 scale on 3S. So when i ran a 1/8 scale on 6S it was eye popping. The size and speed was initially overwhelming and had a few bang ups getting used to it.
I don't think I will ever go back to 1/10 scale, bigger stuff is so much more fun. (y)

When my dad brought me to my first hobby shop in 1984 and I saw the OG Grasshopper and the OG Hornet kit, OG RC10 on the shelf and one each built in the glass case. I was addicted at age of 10 and I didn't even own a hobby grade RC yet. I ended up buying a Blackfoot in 1986.

When my dad brought me to my first hobby shop in 1984 and I saw the OG Grasshopper and the OG Hornet kit, OG RC10 on the shelf and one each built in the glass case. I was addicted at age of 10 and I didn't even own a hobby grade RC yet. I ended up buying a Blackfoot in 1986.
I forgot about the Hornet, that was about the time I got started/dreaming RC. I eventually got a used RC10 that I kept alive with chicken wire and superglue. I was broke as a kid, my parents would never spend that much on me lol.

Circa late 80's, the cars I liked were Blackfoot, Lunchbox, Monster Beetle, USA-1 and others that were similar. I had a buddy that had an RC10 buggy (gold pan), also nice. About the only thing I could afford was the Tyco Bandit - and for what it was, it was a blast. In the Mid 90's, I bought a Monster Beetle, then a Traxxas Stampede (1st Gen). That motor sucked big time. I think I replaced 3 under warranty. Next up was an RC10GT team truck (kit). I still have that truck - and it sealed the deal for me. Since that time, I've owned several cars from several Mfr's .. and they're all fun. Some are a little more of a PITA because of how often they break, waiting on parts, etc .. but they're all fun. The nitro cars were a PITA because you were constantly adjusting the motor. Electrics have come a looooooooooooooong way since and are so much cleaner. The technology in these cars today is miles ahead of where it was.

Circa late 80's, the cars I liked were Blackfoot, Lunchbox, Monster Beetle, USA-1 and others that were similar. I had a buddy that had an RC10 buggy (gold pan), also nice. About the only thing I could afford was the Tyco Bandit - and for what it was, it was a blast. In the Mid 90's, I bought a Monster Beetle, then a Traxxas Stampede (1st Gen). That motor sucked big time. I think I replaced 3 under warranty. Next up was an RC10GT team truck (kit). I still have that truck - and it sealed the deal for me. Since that time, I've owned several cars from several Mfr's .. and they're all fun. Some are a little more of a PITA because of how often they break, waiting on parts, etc .. but they're all fun. The nitro cars were a PITA because you were constantly adjusting the motor. Electrics have come a looooooooooooooong way since and are so much cleaner. The technology in these cars today is miles ahead of where it was.
My first non hobby grade was a Tyco Turbo Hopper. You would go broke feeding it 8 aa batteries every 1/2 hour lol
When I sold my left nut for M2c upgrades???
:ROFLMAO:

My moment was the first time I pulled the trigger on a brushless rc in 2017. Had Tamiya and Associated back in the 90's with brushed motors and mechanical speed controllers. Fast forward to 2017 and 50mph out of the box is standard. Who wouldn't get hooked?

The grasshopper hooked me back in the 80’s too! ?
Grasshopper first (used), then a new Hornet, but I felt big time when I put together my Associated RC10 gold pan. When the RC10 was stolen in the early 2000's, I walked away from rc for a long time. Now I'm back and possibly have gone a little overboard.

My moment was the first time I pulled the trigger on a brushless rc in 2017. Had Tamiya and Associated back in the 90's with brushed motors and mechanical speed controllers. Fast forward to 2017 and 50mph out of the box is standard. Who wouldn't get hooked?
Especially when you fast forward to a time you can afford it finally!

I bought a 2wd Slash when I realized I couldn't fly race drones. I haven't given up but plan to get a trainer sim so I can learn properly.
Anyway, I enjoyed the Slash so I continued to read and research for something faster. Watched tons of YT and decided I wanted Arrma. Meantime I bought a 3s brushless Redcat MT10E and it was a beast. Still is really.
Again, I needed more and paid attention to Arrma 6s and decided that I wanted a Talion because the Kraton was the one that was most popular and I wanted to try something a little less common.
There were no 6s Arrma vehicles available and no relief in sight and my money was burning holes in my pocket. I had a friend with the XMAXX 8s and a couple others that insisted I would have better support with TRXs so I pulled the trigger on a E-Revo 2 and was let down. It broke like it was made to break. Maybe my driving and maybe not but I figured I'd give it one more rip and spend for the Talion V3 that had come back in stock.
I got the Talion in and was done trying to find which manufacturer I wanted to invest in. I almost immediately sold the ER2.0 to the guy with the XMAXX at a big loss. Had to install two new servos, limiting straps mod, etc....took a hit and was almost disenchanted with surface RC because of that Traxxas truggy.
Time has passed now and I have seven Arrma models. A couple 3s and five 6s. Of course I'm not done. In the middle of the buying I picked up a couple WLToys little trucks that are ok but nothing replaces Arrma for me and crawling isn't my thing so probably won't go there too much outside of getting one for the looks.
Upgrades packages show up constantly and I love these vehicles.
I always suggest the parts cross-utilization of Arrma models as a main reason why I stick with this single designer but it doesn't take the place of out of the box speed and durability. I've never been "mad" at my Arrma trucks like I was with the ER-2.0. I've only felt like I got a great value and a great product that is enjoyable to work on and upgrades are voluntary rather than necessary (when I started buying, the radio was Tactic TTX300)
I'll keep being hooked on all RC and look forward to more every day.
Here's what I have now among several quads and a few planes and countless lipos, spares and tools. I also bought a shed/shop that is specific for my RC addiction. Guys like @Notorious J have seen my addiction develop ? :

2wd VXL Slash
TRMT10E
E-Revo 2.0 (SOLD)
Talion v3
Notorious v3
Big Rock CC BLX 3s
Typhon 6s v3
Kraton v4
Granite BLX 3s
Mojave
Couple 1:18 wltoys models

Last edited:
In the late '90s, I started with a Traxxas Stampede 2WD. Ten years ago I got a brushed ECX Ruckus 2WD. Both were fun, then the Nero came out, followed by the Big Rock and I was hooked. Bought the Big Rock 1st, but always wanted the Nero roll cages, so I built another Big Rock with the cages. Going from brushed 2WD 1/10 to brushless 4WD 1/8 was a night and day difference, and I couldn't be happier. Even though I only run 4S.

It always starts with "Let me just see if I even like it"..

Hundreds and thousands of doll hairs later, and you are still trying to justify the spending to your significant other.. :ROFLMAO:

In my case, it started with a 1/16 Slash.. and probably 20+ rc's later, here I am, waiting to run my new Talion because I don't have a charger yet lol.

Hooked by my 1st Radio Shack MT in early 2000s, yeah it was brushed, NiCad and slow, but didn't take long to jump into nitro. Probably should have bought stocks, would be a rich man today!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back