Dumbest RC moment(s)???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCSid

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
Well, if you can't laugh at yourself, who can you really laugh at.

As I'm daily new to Arrma, but not necessarily RC, I have been on a learning curve for the past 6mos with the nuances of Arrma rigs etc.. So after recently rebuilding my Kraton 6s, I was eager to go ripping around with it as the weather has really been cooperating in the NY Metro area. Got out there and ripped a tire off the rim and snapped an outdrive post!
The next day I came across a nice dirt lot tucked behind out local JR High baseball field so I ran home and got everything pulled and rebuilt and charged up the batteries and ran over there as fast as I could and ehhhh. Front wheels spinning, rears nothing. Go home disappointed to say the least. Giving it a quick inspection, I was dumbfounded and assumed that it had to be the center diff now?
So I start tearing it down, starting at the center diff, ONLY to make my way to the rear and realize in my rush, as I was buttoning everything up, I DID NOT TIGHTEN ALL OF THE DIFF COVER BOLTS!!!!!!!!!! I set them 1/2 way and meant to go back to tighten them after bolting the diff to the chassis.
I still feel like a moron.

Anyone else got some good ones to share??

Anyone else got some good ones to share??
Plugged in my battery the wrong way. Reverse polarity. There goes my ESC. Happened with my uncle too. Wasn't paying attention which wire was which and he fried his new 160 dollar ESC. but with me, I just fried a cheap junk Traxxas xl5 esc.

Was getting to check in for the next race and forgot to take my transponder out of my other car to the car I was currently running (cons about having only 1 transponder. Because they are expensive)

Another racing one, I forgot to turn off my car when getting ready to race my other car. There goes my Mini B flying off the pit table. As I run 1 radio for all of my 5 cars.

Put on directional tires on backwards

I probably have way more that I can't think of

Forgetting that I should wait at least 24 hours after applying blue loctite on the Typhon Spur gear. Was too excited to get the car back in action, literally not even 5 mins after I had it fixed, i plugged a battery in gave it a quick blip of the throttle and brake and sure enough, the motor mount moved again. I put in on the shelf and fixed it the following day.

Forgetting that I should wait at least 24 hours after applying blue loctite on the Typhon Spur gear. Was too excited to get the car back in action, literally not even 5 mins after I had it fixed, i plugged a battery in gave it a quick blip of the throttle and brake and sure enough, the motor mount moved again. I put in on the shelf and fixed it the following day.
The motor mount moved? How? You meant that the spur gear migrated, right? No spacers on the spool, or are you running a center diff? Please elaborate.

Been in and out of RC since the mid 80s. Not much I can't figure out if there's a problem. Spent ALL day Sunday working on the mini crawlers. Lots of parts ordered and waiting to install. Some parts were upgrades on one, and the castoffs were upgrades for another. Dug in to get it done. I did! Time to test some out.

The most heavily modified was the new SCX24 Deadbolt. Turned the transmitter on to set the center of the new Emax servo. Did nothing else with the electronics. Get all done, and it doesn't move. Nothing. Just centers the servo. Tried everything. It was getting late and I had to work today. Walked away from it and move on to the new Redcat Ascent 18. Same thing. WTF?

At work today, I'm wracking my brain. What could I have possibly messed up? Then it hit me! No...Sure enough I was using the wrong transmitter for the RC. They look similar. Rookie move. Lol. Happens to the best of us.

The motor mount moved? How? You meant that the spur gear migrated, right? No spacers on the spool, or are you running a center diff? Please elaborate.
I typed this at work realizing it doesn't make sense now, haha. But on the typhon 3s , I had serviced the rear power module and spur gear, putting the motor mount screws back in. As soon as I tested it, the pressure of the brake just moved it back over effortlessly and away from the pinion. So yes, the Spur gear migrated as you mentioned! Was my first time meshing gears too so I was freaking out until I realized I should have waited until the following day 🙃

Been in and out of RC since the mid 80s. Not much I can't figure out if there's a problem. Spent ALL day Sunday working on the mini crawlers. Lots of parts ordered and waiting to install. Some parts were upgrades on one, and the castoffs were upgrades for another. Dug in to get it done. I did! Time to test some out.

The most heavily modified was the new SCX24 Deadbolt. Turned the transmitter on to set the center of the new Emax servo. Did nothing else with the electronics. Get all done, and it doesn't move. Nothing. Just centers the servo. Tried everything. It was getting late and I had to work today. Walked away from it and move on to the new Redcat Ascent 18. Same thing. WTF?

At work today, I'm wracking my brain. What could I have possibly messed up? Then it hit me! No...Sure enough I was using the wrong transmitter for the RC. They look similar. Rookie move. Lol. Happens to the best of us.
One day I planned on taking 3 rigs out for a day of bashing after weeks of not running my rigs. I got everything in the truck so excited...batteries strapped in, ready to power on the first rig, and no transmitters, I forgot all 3 at home 😅

Took out my 3 rigs on Saturday. Drove 30 minutes to the track. Rolled in opened the trunk and realized I had left my batteries at home. Turned around and went to retrieve said batteries. Unfortunately Guys saw me pull in and leave. Had to own up when I got back.

I’ve reversed the ring gears in the diffs before. Took out a Typhon, gave it full throttle and was doing a smoky burnout, but not moving as the front and rear wheels were running in opposite directions. 🙄

My kid had a Mario Kart Rc from Nikko, he takes it out of the box, put the batteries in and when full throttle straight away. And then there was a table with a low bar between the table legs and it immediately decapitated Mario. Not even 15 seconds of driving it.... ;-)
My oldest daughter had one too a couple of years ago. She loved driving it. Some day all the kids were asked to bring their favourite toy to school. Of course some kid broke the gears. I searched the web and finally found a complete gearbox assembly in Austrian LHS. After it arrived i mounted it right away. Not even two days later she took it to some neighbours and fried the electronics in a pool of water.
Then a couple of years later she was completely in aw when she saw some 1/10 indoor carpet track racers at a model show. I bought her a Slash 4x4. And that day i got hooked to rc too.

Back