Typhon Thermal Paste Firma 3200kv

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcNOLA

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Typhon 3s
20220401_182728.jpg

Ran a 100c 5200 powerhobby dead with a 20t. Absolutely no heat issues. Luke warm on the back of the can. Used to almost burn me running an 18t.

With those fans, they would work even better without any HS at all. It's a 3200kv motor. Should run cool anyway. T Paste helped the HS much in your case.
Just shows you how inefficient the HS really is by itself or with fans.

not a bad idea, I did wonder if it would be any use doing this given the heatsink is a bit of a sloppy fit. I've got the same motor in my stock granite and it gets too hot to touch after a decent rip.

I've found some thermal paste and done it myself and will report back once new body posts arrive and I can get the thing back out.

not a bad idea, I did wonder if it would be any use doing this given the heatsink is a bit of a sloppy fit. I've got the same motor in my stock granite and it gets too hot to touch after a decent rip.

I've found some thermal paste and done it myself and will report back once new body posts arrive and I can get the thing back out.
Ordered a flir camera for android. Going to compare spare motor with a stock set up on identical batteries. (15t)

ok so after running 2 packs through it back to back, ripping ovals in my yard then up and down my street at top speed I can report that the paste has made a decent difference. It would use to get too hot to even keep a finger on but now at LVC that was not the case, still hot but not crazy like it was.

schew.jpg

ok so after running 2 packs through it back to back, ripping ovals in my yard then up and down my street at top speed I can report that the paste has made a decent difference. It would use to get too hot to even keep a finger on but now at LVC that was not the case, still hot but not crazy like it was.

View attachment 210623
I used arctic silver. What did you use?

Just some generic stuff left in my drawer from PC building.

To apply it I put a few dabs around one end of the inside of the heatsink and slid the motor in, got pretty even coverage in the end, took a little bit of clean up with a paper towel

Needs to be compared to the same fans mounted on a bracket with no heat sink at all. If you do use a heat sink then thermal paste definitely helps.

I like the Rocket and Hobbywing motors that have fins machined into the can. Bracket and a high speed fan is perfect.

Gonna try this. My motor usually stays OK with the heat sink and fan, but it does heat up faster than the ESC. Thermal cutoff only kicks in from the ESC temp, so sometimes my motor gets too hot. Just a little cooler should make all the difference.

I suspect this setup will give you better cooling than a fan mount alone for the same reason a pasted heat sink and fan on a PC will keep your processor temps at a reasonable level while a fan blowing directly on the die would lead to rapid overheating and thermal shutdown. Conductive heat transfer is generally more efficient than convective, and the heat sink increases both the thermal mass (more material to absorb the same amount of heat equals lower temp) and the surface area for convective heat transfer away from the motor assembly and to the atmosphere. Good thermal conductivity is the key to good cooling as you've verified here. When people talk about fans alone being better than a heat sink plus fan, they're referring to poor fitting heat sinks that trap a layer of insulating air between the can and sink and impede conductive heat transfer.

poor fitting heat sinks that trap a layer of insulating air between the can and sink and impede conductive heat transfer.

that was basically the case with stock heatsink/fan on my 3s granite - an insulating layer of air, now replaced with thermal paste

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back