Outcast Thinking about getting a 4s outcast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jester194

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion EXB
  2. Typhon 6s
Any recommendations on purchasing a 4s out cast...I like bashing vorteks and going to skatepark with it...

Don't do it. That is the best advice I can give you. Get a Sketer or Maxx instead.

If anything buy a 6s RTR Notorious instead of any 4s 4x4.
And run the Noto. even on 4s., if 4s is a criteria for you.
Get the EXB Basher Fr. bumper and a rear Arrma SS skid plate for the Cement skate park. Alloy Fr and Rr braces needed, and that's all.
A more durable platform= More bashing fun.

Last edited:
As @slick2500 stated and others, there are way better choices for the $$ out there.
The Arrma 4s 4x4 line is far from one of them.
Try to avoid Buyers remorse if possible.
Do some more research. :cool:

Any recommendations on purchasing a 4s out cast...I like bashing vorteks and going to skatepark with it...
I think you will have just as much fun with a 3s granite in the skatepark. Cheaper to replace parts when they break. Cheaper car. Ofc, a 6s exb notorious might be beefier, but with alu chassis, would not recommend skatepark.

Dang so many people against the 4s v2 line🧐. the v2 is decent but i would spend for a 6s vehicule with exb diff and basic upgrade. Its going to cost a lot more up front. Question is Are you willing to pay the extra amount. If not go with the v2 orthe skater. theres also the bully Traxxas maxx. Issue with the skater is oarts availability and resellers.

V5 SWB Notorious chassis ( same chassis as the V5 RTR Typho) would work. This short chassis is very strong and way less prone to bending, unless you absolutley suck at driving in the first place wherever you decide to bash.
I am not a SKatepark guy at all. I stay away. Just asking for trouble NO matter the rig in hand.
Yes its fun. I get that. Just understand the caveats.
Dang so many people against the 4s v2 line🧐
Nothing new here.:LOL:
The hype petered out already. Call it what it is now.
V2 4s is Not that popular and for the coin HH is asking now. The inexpensive plastic chassis alone that breaks, can be a PIA to always replace. Much wrenching every time. The 4x4 platform was already maxxed out with 3s. And the V1 4s 4x4 line was a complete shortlived bust, lest we not forget. They should have dropped the model altogether and start a fresh new 4s platform. (alloy chassis') A slipper clutch in a 4s platform makes no sense to me. Need a diff for 4s and higher. IMHO.
HH and Arrma is just milking the 4x4 platform for more $$$. They should give it a rest. How much power and bigger can it get?? At some point you just need to go to aluminum chassis'. Hence the 6s line. A very mainstream mature platform. No avoiding this.
And if you never had an alloy chassis RC before, and only plastic ones, you won't understand it best.
Silly move on Arrma's part if you ask me. A greedy money grab....

Last edited:
V5 SWB Notorious cahssis ( same chassis as the V5 RTR Typho) would work. This short chassis is very strong and way less prone to bending, unless you absolutley suck at driving in the first place wherever you decide to bash.
I am not a SKatepark guy at all. I stay away. Just asking for trouble NO matter the rig in hand.
Yes its fun. I get that. Just understand the caveats.

Nothing new here.:LOL:
The hype petered out already. Call it what it is now.
V2 4s is Not that popular and for the coin HH is asking now.
The v1 i can understand the gripe but the v2 not too much. Yes it was overhyped. But its still a great truck. I found the v1 very good. Heck it was my first arrma rc. The v2 doesn't have diff issues and clutch issues. These were the main 2 issues on the v1 for me. After i modified the servo saver it is almost as enjoyable to drive as my 6s trucks. For 50$ more vs the v1 ur getting a lot for ur money. Something arrma today doesn't really do anymore. The last thing i can think of that was a great value was the kraton 6s exb roller. Im not talking about sales. As much as the sales go i still don't find the trucks on sale to be worth buying. Ik arrma gave the exb kraton fpr 300$ and the 8s rollers for 500$. Even at 300$ i wouldnt get an 8s truck. I will avoid those things like the plague

The v1 i can understand the gripe but the v2 not too much. Yes it was overhyped. But its still a great truck. I found the v1 very good. Heck it was my first arrma rc. The v2 doesn't have diff issues and clutch issues. These were the main 2 issues on the v1 for me. After i modified the servo saver it is almost as enjoyable to drive as my 6s trucks. For 50$ more vs the v1 ur getting a lot for ur money. Something arrma today doesn't really do anymore. The last thing i can think of that was a great value was the kraton 6s exb roller. Im not talking about sales. As much as the sales go i still don't find the trucks on sale to be worth buying. Ik arrma gave the exb kraton fpr 300$ and the 8s rollers for 500$. Even at 300$ i wouldnt get an 8s truck. I will avoid those things like the plague

It's not so much the 4s models it is the entire platform. Short story long my Slashpede 4x4 has been more reliable and more durable than either of the 2 Arrma 3s models I have. Literally the only good thing about the Arrma 4x4 platform is the motor, esc and dBoots Backflip LP.

You are a seasoned RC'er, and got a grip on whatever is in front of you. (y) Most others not.
A platform designed for 4s needs to be as stout as a 6s platform. The V2 4s is not the best regardless of being over priced or not. There are so many other better choices to consider for someone fairly new. Not just the OP here.
I'm judging by the V1 4s past history and how Arrma treated those who were all in from the beginning. V1 4s was shortlived and left those owners hang out to dry. Parts on B/O, then discontinued. Guys waiting for parts. JennysRC sure made a killing for a while.:giggle: Took 3 years for Arrma to release the V2. Hyped to hell for 3 years. What did we get in the V2 really, Longer arms and WB? some band aid tweaks to the drivetrain and a T2T brace?? Some New Box Art?:unsure:
It's not so much the 4s models it is the entire platform. Short story long my Slashpede 4x4 has been more reliable and more durable than either of the 2 Arrma 3s models I have. Literally the only good thing about the Arrma 4x4 platform is the motor, esc and dBoots Backflip LP.
I honestly agree, The TRX stuff is way better. :cool:
And was always made in Taiwan if I am correct. Better QC.

Last edited:
For me it ws the complete opposite my rustler couldnt jump an lept breaking when i farted next to it. For 100$ less i got a vehciule that could do everything i wanted out of it and being durable
The 2400kv motor sucks. Get boiling hot. Consumes like no tomorrow. Heck i even got lead free solder to melf off the connectors. My baterry was also not happy. Might be why my not so old 4s lipos aint doing so great
You are a seasoned RC'er, and got a grip on whatever is in front of you. (y) Most others not.
A platform designed for 4s needs to be as stout as a 6s platform. The V2 4s is not the best regardless of being over priced or not. There are so many other better choices to consider for someone fairly new. Not just the OP here.
I'm judging by the V1 4s past history and how Arrma treated those who were all in from the beginning. V1 4s was shortlived and left those owners hang out to dry. Parts on B/O, then discontinued. Guys waiting for parts. JennysRC sure made a killing for a while.:giggle: Took 3 years for Arrma to release the V2. Hyped to hell for 3 years. What did we get in the V2 really, Longer arms and WB? some band aid tweaks to the drivetrain and a T2T brace?? Some New Box Art?:unsure:

I honestly agree, The TRX stuff is way better. :cool:
And was always made in Taiwan if I am correct. Better QC.
New chassis, new bodies, cvd axles and metal diffs. Majority of people wanted a center diff. We didnt get it. Its not a bad truck. Its a pretty great truck for what it is. But i get the criticism. Im a bit biased because like i said it was my real truck hobbygrade rc after the rustler. I ran that thing for 6 years. I sold it 2 days ago as a roller. Its now a hybrid v1

Last edited:
My slash 4x4 is a monster..... by far the strongest rc I've ever had or been around. doesn't matter what I do to it, just takes it.
My vxl rustler is an over powered piece.. a very very old truck with way to much power that flys apart consistently every time I run it. Been on the shelf for almost a year now and have no intentions of getting it down, its a money pit..

I really like the big rock I've got, but I can't see a similar platform (outcast 4s) holding up even with the differences. The chassis on these 3s/4s are so thin and brittle its got me worried sending the big rock very hard... I don't think much of the chassis itself on them from a structural pov. Theres just no strength added. 1 little backbone down the center but nothing on the sides.... theres a reason folks snap them pretty easy.

I was ok with the price of the big rock, but I wouldn't spend more on this design. Aka outcast or kraton 4s. If your gonna spend that much id go for a 6s rig..

Just my opinion 🤷

My slash 4x4 is a monster..... by far the strongest rc I've ever had or been around. doesn't matter what I do to it, just takes it.
My vxl rustler is an over powered piece.. a very very old truck with way to much power that flys apart consistently every time I run it. Been on the shelf for almost a year now and have no intentions of getting it down, its a money pit..

I really like the big rock I've got, but I can't see a similar platform (outcast 4s) holding up even with the differences. The chassis on these 3s/4s are so thin and brittle its got me worried sending the big rock very hard... I don't think much of the chassis itself on them from a structural pov. Theres just no strength added. 1 little backbone down the center but nothing on the sides.... theres a reason folks snap them pretty easy.

I was ok with the price of the big rock, but I wouldn't spend more on this design. Aka outcast or kraton 4s. If your gonna spend that much id go for a 6s rig..

Just my opinion 🤷
Was refering to the rustler 4x4. It would have costed me 500$ to fix the stupid issues it had. Axles, electroncis, tires, shocks the list goes on. The car costed me 500-600$. I wasnt going to spend 1000-1200$ on a small 1/10 scale. the axles alone is an endless Money pit some people wasted up to 500$ on garbage “upgrade” axles. That car made me more depressed than anything. It broke while running on flat concrete and short grass.

Was refering to the rustler 4x4. It would have costed me 500$ to fix the stupid issues it had. Axles, electroncis, tires, shocks the list goes on. The car costed me 500-600$. I wasnt going to spend 1000-1200$ on a small 1/10 scale. the axles alone is an endless Money pit some people wasted up to 500$ on garbage “upgrade” axles. That car made me more depressed than anything. It broke while running on flat concrete and short grass.

Traxxas is overpriced as they come and thier quality just keeps going down.. I never would have paid for a vxl slash 4x4, its ridiculous.. mine was upgraded from a spare velineon system I had and I got the lcg chassis set on sale for 30 bucks shipped. Even though its been amazing I wouldn't pay thier ridiculous price for this setup from new.
I've only ever broken 1 stub axle in years of sending mine ridiculously hard. Its a joke now because ill send it as hard as it will go expecting to finally kill it and nothing ever happens.. maybe a popped shock top here and there..

Its strange you say that because I always figured the 4x4 rustler would hold together better then the slash being shorter and lighter.. maybe its the difference in bodies protecting things.. I don't know... I know I'm done giving them my money.
Any parts breaks on thier stuff can be replaced with aftermarket..

Sorry to go off topic 😅

Traxxas is overpriced as they come and thier quality just keeps going down.. I never would have paid for a vxl slash 4x4, its ridiculous.. mine was upgraded from a spare velineon system I had and I got the lcg chassis set on sale for 30 bucks shipped. Even though its been amazing I wouldn't pay thier ridiculous price for this setup from new.
I've only ever broken 1 stub axle in years of sending mine ridiculously hard. Its a joke now because ill send it as hard as it will go expecting to finally kill it and nothing ever happens.. maybe a popped shock top here and there..

Its strange you say that because I always figured the 4x4 rustler would hold together better then the slash being shorter and lighter.. maybe its the difference in bodies protecting things.. I don't know... I know I'm done giving them my money.
Any parts breaks on thier stuff can be replaced with aftermarket..

Sorry to go off topic 😅
The slash has a short course truck body. Even the shittiest of rc will be decent in durability. The body is what saves the truck from a lot of damage. My rpm arms pulled off when i clipped slowly a pole or something. Very insignificant hit After a few days i noticed one arm was crooked and my metal shock cap was about to pop off the shock. Stock arm broke on my first ever jump. Had to ziptie the sucker togueter. My kraton 4s and all my other rcs have been doing this very jump and crashing for 6 years. I still remmeber the feeling of doing my very first backflip on my very first packs with my kraton 4s v1. Its a feeling I didn’t forget even with my bird brain. It made me smile it broke down a few times because of the clutch loosening and the diff stripping but when it was bck and running it was totally worth it. I discovered fixes along the way some i made myself

I am with you 100% on the 8s line. I really wanted one early on.
But I always let the dust clear, research parts prices/ upgrades Needed, and actual consistent same same durability issue others have had and all ,before I pull the plug on any RC model. I like to know what I am up against before jumping into an RC. I am not a Fan boy of any one, brand . I learned the hard way, like many others. Some models within a brand can really suck.
The 8s didn't cut it for me. Some years later now, I clearly see what it takes to own one. Not for me.
8s line needs a 10 pound diet at a minimum.:LOL:
The slash has a short course truck body. Even the shittiest of rc will be decent in durability. The body is what saves the truck from a lot of damage. My rpm arms pulled off when i clipped slowly a pole or something. Very insignificant hit After a few days i noticed one arm was crooked and my metal shock cap was about to pop off the shock. Stock arm broke on my first ever jump. Had to ziptie the sucker togueter. My kraton 4s and all my other rcs have been doing this very jump and crashing for 6 years. I still remmeber the feeling of doing my very first backflip on my very first packs with my kraton 4s v1. Its a feeling I didn’t forget even with my bird brain. It made me smile it broke down a few times because of the clutch loosening and the diff stripping but when it was bck and running it was totally worth it. I discovered fixes along the way some i made myself
If you are having good fun with whatever is in front of you, all that matters. (y)
Good times = a good return on your RC investment.

Last edited:
Don't do it. That is the best advice I can give you. Get a Sketer or Maxx instead.
Agree 100% with this. We went from a 4S Kraton to a Sketer for my son. We did widen it out per RazorRC's videos, but it is such a better truck in every department. We take the 4S Kraton as a backup to our local track & my son decided he wanted to give it a spin for old times sake. After about 2 minutes he brought it back in saying how the steering was garbage compared to the Sketer. SOOOOOOOOOO much more durable.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back