"This is such an old man's hobby" - The random kid at the skate park

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely an old man's hobby. Average viewer is 35-44, 95% are male.

39 and just getting started. I always wanted a traxxas nitro hawk as a kid. Now almost 30 yrs later here I am again

I am new again to the hobby. As a kid I spent every dime I earned on whomp whomp slot cars. Mid twenties I went all in on nitro and kept it up for 15 years on and off for pure enjoyment and wallet abuse.
sold every for a song to a friend with a kid that was interested in getting into it.
now I’m late 50’s and my wife a bit younger, and we both have Arrma electrics
and are having a great time with them. no skate parks yet but cannot wait to get them somewhere we can jump them.
Baywatch? For me it was Bewitched and I dream of Jenie!

This makes me want to go and take over some local skate parks lmao. I get curious folks stopping and asking about my cars all the time. One younger guy a F&F wannabe, tried being insulting me once said something along the lines of how he puts his money into something real and not toys I mentioned it would be great if his money could make his car go as fast as my toy. Next thing you know we had race and of course, the 3s Senton smoked him. He used the short distance(maybe 150/200 meters) as his excuse but now, I'd feel comfortable challenging him to a full quarter mile with my 6s(now 8s). I believe he had an Acura or Honda with full body kits. You know the type, those who make their vehicles look fast rather than fast.
Most in the so called "Tuner crowd" haven't a clue and just throw money at their cars. They become dogs, slow as they day before they tuned them. Its all a dog and pony show. No real performance. All show no go. I see it all over here where I live. Stupid rear wings that just rip off/fall off when they hit 50mph etc and damage other cars on the highways etc. Loud noised mufflers that make the cars sound fast. But are slow as dogs. Nothing new here. AT least with RC there is some real gained speed and handling that results with upgrades. Don't get me wrong, I did the same with my Mopars when I was young and impressionable. My car '69 Charger was a girl magnet. :ROFLMAO:

Most in the so called "Tuner crowd" haven't a clue and just throw money at their cars. They become dogs, slow as they day before they tuned them. Its all a dog and pony show. No real performance. All show no go. I see it all over here where I live. Stupid rear wings that just rip off/fall off when they hit 50mph etc and damage other cars on the highways etc. Loud noised mufflers that make the cars sound fast. But are slow as dogs. Nothing new here. AT least with RC there is some real gained speed and handling that results with upgrades. Don't get me wrong, I did the same with my Mopars when I was young and impressionable. My car '69 Charger was a girl magnet. :ROFLMAO:
I went the other way. I was into trucks and offroading. Mostly it was like crawling, I suppose. Not talking mudding or hill climbing but off road courses, trails, bogs, snow. Never raced one on one, always in timed runs one at a time. And like you said about RCs, every upgrade has to count or you wasted money for better tires, shocks, chassis plates, snorkels. So the upgrades were well researched and did count. In my world, it was the little things that meant the most; proper torques, bearings, oil, grease, anti freeze, tire studs, weight distribution etc. Even front and rear differential oils and ratios were huge. Difference was, every leaf strut, axle broken was an ARRMA Kraton 8s you could have bought. Lol
And then there were the quads and snowmobiles.

Definitely an old man's hobby. When I was a kid, I was on skates at the skate park.
They didn't have skate parks when I was a kid. We played in the street and jumped bicycles off plywood ramps like Evel Knevel.
Lost a lot of skin, like him as well.
Faceplants really sucked.🤕🤣

He's probably right. This hobby is appealing to grown up kids like me who liked RC when I was young but the tech, gear, and speed has ramped up. Seeing it as an adult is an eye-opener in terms of what you can do with your adult level hobby skills. If I was still 12 I'd probably use a skateboard instead. :)

Too funny, I had a black sears nikko lobo as a kid...well more I think it was my brothers but I played with it a lot. Batteries were probably the biggest reason it didn't get played with often. I think at some point we had some rechargeables but maybe not enough.

I've tried to get my 6 year old into it. When I make him go with me he has fun, but he never wants to when I offer. I let him drive my senton blx or the trx4 bronco crawler. He has some cheapie rc cars too that he'll play with from time to time. I imagine he'll get more into it as he gets older. It's tough for me to teach him because I'm still learning as I only got into it within the last couple years.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back