This could ruin the hobby

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, if you did crash your drone into somebody else's property, wouldn't you legally be required to pay if the person presses charges?

** Disclaimer ** I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

My understanding, in the USA, you are liable for your actions. It's no different than if your dog bites someone.

If crash your RC (car, drone, plane, train boat, Tesla or whatever) into a someone/something and cause damage; you own it 100% and need to pay for the damage. If you did it on purpose, or have the perception of of criminal intent, then criminal charges could be filed. Otherwise it would be a civil suit.

Neither civil or criminal court is fun and I'm very careful with where I run and what I do.

If nothing else it's called being a responsible adult and taking responsibility for your actions.

I’m not arguing any of the points about this being implemented for tax revenue, government control and oversight, by aliens or the Illuminati, Jimmy Hoffa, etc. Y’all can have fun debating those issues.

We don't talk about Hoffa. Remember the rule, what's under Giant's Stadium stays under Giant's Stadium.
be quiet bbc three GIF by BBC

Not sarcastic. 😊 Of course your response is true, in the same sense of that old NRA trope, “if guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.”
But yes, I think it’s a totally reasonable measure. Like @Jerold said very well, this is no different from registering your pet, licensing your car, registering a firearm, etc. I’m not arguing any of the points about this being implemented for tax revenue, government control and oversight, by aliens or the Illuminati, Jimmy Hoffa, etc. Y’all can have fun debating those issues.
But to get back to your original retort, I’d say this measure is about the same as locking your screen door. It serves to keep honest people honest. But it won’t prevent the nefarious from doing as they will.
To be fair, outlaws are already breaking the law.

Registering one of the things you listed is different. For those, you don't need to have a tracking device broadcasting location at all times.

To be fair, outlaws are already breaking the law.
That’s what my initial response meant, of course.
Registering one of the things you listed is different. For those, you don't need to have a tracking device broadcasting location at all times.
Right. Well, cars and dogs don’t fly, do they? If my dog ever flew near restricted airspace I’d support tracking her as well. Because as soon as she saw one one of those flying squirrels, all bets would be off.

That’s what my initial response meant, of course.

Right. Well, cars and dogs don’t fly, do they? If my dog ever flew near restricted airspace I’d support tracking her as well. Because as soon as she saw one one of those flying squirrels, all bets would be off.
Cars are much more dangerous than drones. 250g and up drones needing tracking? That means everything over half a pound. Maybe if the law was for over 20lbs I wouldn't be against it.

This is just another BS law I am going to ignore. Is it really illegal if they don't stop you?

Cars are much more dangerous than drones. 250g and up drones needing tracking? That means everything over half a pound. Maybe if the law was for over 20lbs I wouldn't be against it.

This is just another BS law I am going to ignore. Is it really illegal if they don't stop you?
250g? You picked that up earlier in this thread, I believe from German regs? We don’t have the 250g rule. Seriously, all “F the Government” stuff aside, why don’t you just read the FAA reg and tell us what it is about it that you find unreasonable? Link below, again. Embedded links are within the page for further info.
https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/remote_id

250g? You picked that up earlier in this thread, I believe from German regs? We don’t have the 250g rule. Seriously, all “F the Government” stuff aside, why don’t you just read the FAA reg and tell us what it is about it that you find unreasonable? Link below, again. Embedded links are within the page for further info.
https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/remote_id
Dan you might want to go back and reread that info. It's 250g and up here in the US.

Last edited:
I just picked up a DJI FPV drone and did a deep dive into this rabbit hole a few weeks back.
It's complicated, but the FAA is trying to work with the drone community.
Current notes (accurate to my best abilities without writing a book here, it's all on the FAA website):
  • FPV isn't legal without a spotter
  • No drone can leave your direct line of sight
  • Night flight and over people and cars is permitted with significant exceptions (lights, drone size, license, Remote ID etc)
  • No drone can fly above 400ft without prior FAA auth
  • Drone use is split into 2 categories, recreational and commercial
    • Commercial flight, getting paid for the drone footage:
      • surveying a roof, content for your YT channel, business promo etc
    • Recreational flight
      • not getting paid or compensated in any way
  • Commercial requires a Part 107 license for Small Unmanned Ariel Systems. Book test, clouds, what all the numbers mean on the airport maps etc
  • 249g and below does not require paperwork
  • 250g to 55lbs for recreational flight requires registration and a TRUST test, (easy online test, no drone ID info, but your info on a card to carry on you when flying, any LEO can ask for it)
Things I learned (some may be specific to DJI):
  • The drone checks an online No-Fly map when fired up and if in a red area, will not take off
    • this no-fly area can be turned on and off by LEO or gov, ie President is visiting town, they ground all drones
  • DJI makes a drone monitor for LEO that will show every drone it can see and can ground them
    • Current Ukraine conflict have YT vids discussing this, ie fire up the drone and run 100 meters because a motar strike is inbound on your pilot position
  • If someone shoots your drone down, they get charged as if they had shot at a 737 and replace your drone
    • (dangerous operation or obvious peeping notwithstanding)
  • If you manage to run foul of the FAA or interfere with an actual plane, the fines are enormous.
    • example 1: youtuber threatened with $100,000 fine for no Commercial Part 107 license for content vids
    • example 2: drone footage over riot in NY 2020, drone pilot fined $15k for no registration, flying over people, flying in a no-fly zone
  • Remote ID is a bitter pill to get further freedoms from the FAA, namely FPV and beyond visual line of sight. The tracker apps that show pilot location are #1 concern of the pilot community for theft or general "you lookin at mah daughter!" bs
  • I did not get motion sick with FPV goggles, but I have concerns strapping all those antennas to my head lol. Flight time is about 7 mins on a fully charged 6S battery

Don't you remember Wonder Dog? The original flying dog.... To be fair I don't think he had FAA approval though.
1690776210811.png

And the latest flying car. It's real or at least it's a real company with funding.

We have had this in the UK come in 3 or 4 years ago. you do an online test then apply for your flyer id & operator id. your drone has to be labeled with your operator id number & phone number . The flyer id is free & lasts 5 years . The operator id has to be renewed every year at a cost of £10.33
Phone number is not a requirement.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back