This could ruin the hobby

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everytime I heard government say >> "It's All for Your Safety."

My spidey hairs starts to stand up..
tom holland spidey senses GIF

I heard about this a few years ago. If this happens to rc cars, it will ruin the hobby.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: You just hearing about this now? If I remember right it goes into effect in Sept. . It's been the talk of the town for at least a 1.5 years in the Drone world..

Yes, drones will have to be registered as well as the operator. And they all already have GPS. Do you think a passing Joe Schmo will be able to track your location so he can hit you with a big stick and steal your $6K drone? Really? No, but LEO’s will be able to if you’re a terrorist trying to deliver ordinance to a target and they’re hip to your plan. I really do get some of the arguments against this, but I also get why it’s for your safety. It ain’t because your drone is going to accidentally take down an aircraft, or land on a third grader and cave in their melon, so let’s just nip that stupid BS in the bud. It’s to be able to track perpetrators using very sophisticated ROV’s for nefarious purposes. What if school shootings became school bombings? What if drones were used to target airports, law enforcement, mosques, synagogues, or churches? Wouldn’t you want identifying information on the delivery vehicle? Of course we all would.
I would encourage people to read the act, and not let jackholes on YT tell others what to think.
https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/remote_id

Last edited:
I heard about this a few years ago. If this happens to rc cars, it will ruin the hobby.

As long as you're not operating your cars in the NAS, I wouldn't worry about it. There are no mental gymnastics required to understand why the FAA wants to be able to track where drones are. Criminal intent is not required to kill or injure people.

Safety is achieved with consistency and safety generally trumps all in the NAS.

As long as you're not operating your cars in the NAS, I wouldn't worry about it. There are no mental gymnastics required to understand why the FAA wants to be able to track where drones are. Criminal intent is not required to kill or injure people.

Safety is achieved with consistency and safety generally trumps all in the NAS.
Agreed 👍

What about when this comes to regular cars? I am guessing it will go to regular cars too. The dangers of 1:1 cars is far higher than drones/ model planes.
You know that new cars all have “black boxes,” right? And we’ve had to register our cars in our name and license them since Moses was a puppy. So I guess I might not fully understand your question.

Most of it is hype. When they first started talking about this stuff and the FAA was making rc pilots register thier planes, they used scare tactics. Every single law enforcement officer we talked to said they hadn't heard of it, and as long as we weren't damaging property or hurting anybody they would not enforce it, they had bigger problems to worry about.

Every single law enforcement officer we talked to said they hadn't heard of it, and as long as we weren't damaging property or hurting anybody they would not enforce it, they had bigger problems to worry about.

It's not even something they are capable of, the police have no power to enforce FAA regulations.

Though, they could possibly cite you for some relevant local ordinance or law.

Yes, drones will have to be registered as well as the operator. And they all already have GPS. Do you think a passing Joe Schmo will be able to track your location so he can hit you with a big stick and steal your $6K drone? Really? No, but LEO’s will be able to if you’re a terrorist trying to deliver ordinance to a target and they’re hip to your plan. I really do get some of the arguments against this, but I also get why it’s for your safety. It ain’t because your drone is going to accidentally take down an aircraft, or land on a third grader and cave in their melon, so let’s just nip that stupid BS in the bud. It’s to be able to track perpetrators using very sophisticated ROV’s for nefarious purposes. What if school shootings became school bombings? What if drones were used to target airports, law enforcement, mosques, synagogues, or churches? Wouldn’t you want identifying information on the delivery vehicle? Of course we all would.
I would encourage people to read the act, and not let jackholes on YT tell others what to think.
It's more about big business like Amazon and others wanting the airspace that we the public citizen fly in for there delivery drones . Big business will use autonomous drones and they are afraid of citizens drones getting in the way.

It's more about big business like Amazon and others wanting the airspace that we the public citizen fly in for there delivery drones . Big business will use autonomous drones and they are afraid of citizens drones getting in the way.
Amazon, WalMart, UPS, FedEx, and others are also opposed to over regulation of drone traffic by the FAA.

Last edited:
RC slope gliding here in Europe to max 120 meters. Only on registered places you can go higher. Some really cool rc gliding spots are now basically useless. When you fly on a slope you easily go up 200-500 meters and then burn that height. That was normal until recently. That's illegal now. You're somewhere in the Alps or Umbria mountains - and that's how the limitations are now. And you have to have drone licence to fly anything (normal rc planes) over 250 grams if not on a registered rc airfield. And you have to have name and adresse in non-burnable material (like aluminium plate) stuck on your rc plane.

All happened in just a few years. Who would have thought that is possible...

Last edited:
If someone was that worried, you can OBD block it and that would need a court order to remove. Just sayin, not that I've done that before.
I haven’t done it either. But those things capture a sh’t ton of information. Monitoring at that level sucks, and I’m no proponent of that crap. Even beyond the LEO convo, the dealers do it too. They read that stuff when your car goes in for service. Probably looking for some recorded shenanigans so they can void your warranty. That is WAY too invasive IMO.

Already started in my state .three weeks ago I had to register my two drones at the police station.i payed 18 dollars for each registration.lol they asked me if I had a gps location device on it and I said 🤷.they want me to bring them in so they can check and I have to leave them there.wanna know why? So they can stick a tracking device on it and spy on us .I'm selling them fk that bs.government already spy's on us through our phones., You don't think they watching us already? Think again.my street has a camera on a pole to lol.every night around 10 pm I allways see a drone way up there just hovering for hours which I don't get because my drones have only a 20 minute run time on them .they nothing big just little ones, buy I can imagine what kind of lipo's they have because they sure up there for a long time.i know it's a drone ,I can see two red lights in the front and two green in the back .or front whatever side they on lol.our government has had a eye on us going way back . nothing new.eventually we live in a world like Robo cop🤷
Watch when AI takes over humanity..

Last edited:
We have had this in the UK come in 3 or 4 years ago. you do an online test then apply for your flyer id & operator id. your drone has to be labeled with your operator id number & phone number . The flyer id is free & lasts 5 years . The operator id has to be renewed every year at a cost of £10.33

I haven’t done it either. But those things capture a sh’t ton of information. Monitoring at that level sucks, and I’m no proponent of that crap. Even beyond the LEO convo, the dealers do it too. They read that stuff when your car goes in for service. Probably looking for some recorded shenanigans so they can void your warranty. That is WAY too invasive IMO.
If I am not mistaken, the black boxes on cars and commercial planes have the data stored locally. I don't mind if I am (and police with proper warrants) the only person with access to the data.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back