Typhon Ti screw set opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evil-T

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Lunsford now do complete Ti screw set (well upper and lower but complete if you buy both)

From previous experiences I do have faith in their work and the idea of a Ti screw set is not only cool but a slight weight saving plus no more screw corrosion.

But at $246 it’s a bit of a luxury!

Last edited:
Nobody *needs* that. But for those who have 250$ burning a hole in their pocket, why the heck not.

Stainless steel are far too soft..!! you need 10.9 hardened steel minimum, most of the Arrma bolts are 12.9 that's very strong...??

The Ti ones will depend on the grade as to the lightness vs strength, but for that money I'd buy a bucket full of 12.9's and say hell to the rust..??

Oh yeah I steer well clear of SS

Ti is Grade 5 Ti

I'd rather break sacrificial bolts/screws/nuts than transfer all that shock load to damage more expensive parts.
Does anyone do a 7075 alloy set?

I'd rather break sacrificial bolts/screws/nuts than transfer all that shock load to damage more expensive parts.
Does anyone do a 7075 alloy set?

I personally wouldn’t have a screw/bolts fixing as a designed point of failure!

I personally wouldn’t have a screw/bolts fixing as a designed point of failure!

I come from a quad racing background. With certain frames we soon learned that putting a soft bolt in key locations was better, cheaper and much faster to replace than breaking a whole arm.

You think it would do more overall damage... or become a PITA having to constantly dig out broken bolt shafts?

Last edited:
I come from a quad racing background. With certain frames we soon learned that putting a soft bolt in key locations was better, cheaper and much faster to replace than breaking a whole arm.

You think it would do more overall damage... or become a PITA having to constantly dig out broken bolt shafts?

Yeah guess I can see that working but not sure how well that will translate from a quad to a 1/8 RC but worth looking into.

I’m super happy with what they come with. Lol. I’d rather throw in a few more dollars and buy a whole new rc. Lol.

Been warned no more RC’s allowed (already 4 in three months ?)

I find it funny that people think that stainless and titanium will be a better replacement for the stock screws. You stupid bastards....... Titanium and stainless steel are just lighter and are less likely to rust than normal steel. 12.9 grade steel screws are the strongest screws you can get, their maximum tensile strength is almost twice as much as stainless steel with titanium being somewhere in between the 2.

TLDR stick with the stock 12.9 grade steel screws unless you are racing and need every little ounce of weight or you want a pretty shelf queen.

I find it funny that people think that stainless and titanium will be a better replacement for the stock screws. You stupid bastards....... Titanium and stainless steel are just lighter and are less likely to rust than normal steel. 12.9 grade steel screws are the strongest screws you can get, their maximum tensile strength is almost twice as much as stainless steel with titanium being somewhere in between the 2.

TLDR stick with the stock 12.9 grade steel screws unless you are racing and need every little ounce of weight or you want a pretty shelf queen.

‘Stupid bastard’ ?

Hmm.. nothing wrong with using lighter softer screws/bolts in less structural areas like the ones going into plastic parts. Thats advanced engineering for weight critical applications.
A bit extreme and not exactly cost effective for a basher like the typhon right enough but I like that approach.

That much for screws?! They best make me breakfast in the morning. That's almost a Granite, but hey, if they're making them I'm sure someone's buying.

Not me tho.

Last edited:
Honest question here... is a harder metal a good thing in this scenario?
Many automotive applications utilize steel over other options because the material has some squish/stretch properties that helps it hold tight. In some cases a hard material will come loose more easily because of its hardness.

-Liberty

Hope you were piss drunk when you wrote this, cause otherwise, that's a pretty d!ck thing to say.:mad:
It was a bad day at work. I work with an alcoholic and a worthless pile of crap that just complains about everything all day long. It takes a lot of will power to not punch him in the face.

Honest question here... is a harder metal a good thing in this scenario?
Many automotive applications utilize steel over other options because the material has some squish/stretch properties that helps it hold tight. In some cases a hard material will come loose more easily because of its hardness.

-Liberty

A lot of car/engine manufacturers use 'elastic' very high tensile bolts for securing cylinder heads under tension but its probably not really a factor worth considering in this application for bolts coming loose when we can use threadlock/nylocs.

In aviation these many properties are of critical importance, with a huge variance specific to the many factors inc temps, loads, load directions, stresses, load/stress cycles etc etc..

With RC most people just don't want bolts to break and not rust but if material properties were seriously considered like in aviation, we would have about 10 different bolt specifications in a car.. all with different properties.

A lot of car/engine manufacturers use 'elastic' very high tensile bolts for securing cylinder heads under tension but its probably not really a factor worth considering in this application for bolts coming loose when we can use threadlock/nylocs.

In aviation these many properties are of critical importance, with a huge variance specific to the many factors inc temps, loads, load directions, stresses, load/stress cycles etc etc..

With RC most people just don't want bolts to break and not rust but if material properties were seriously considered like in aviation, we would have about 10 different bolt specifications in a car.. all with different properties.

Agreed with all of the above.

I have run some very high power motors on 8s, and never had issues with a set screw breaking.
The RC will rip teeth off of mod 1 pinion gears or spurs before a set screw goes bad.

I don't run them in mud/water so I cannot speak to rust but I would think that is not much of an issue with the locktite and coatings on the metals.

I would spend my $250.00 in other areas.

-Liberty

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back