tips for removing bearings from HR aluminum hubs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about that light on light action...
I have a similar one, but I bought a long wooden dowel I screwed to my workbench so it could be up above my head. Originally, I used a 150W normal bulb in it... nearly cooked my head (stupid bald spot). Now I use a 150W equivalent LED.
2020-0930-workBench-truckRacks.jpg

I added an extra light to pivot/use over the vise or charging area and parts boxes that I turn on when I need it.

The way the all-thread puller works is you find a washer that fits in the back side of the bearing, the closer the fit the better, so ideally the washer contacts the outer race. Then you get a tube/sleeve/socket on the front side, just big enough for the bearing OD to fit inside. Then you run a piece of all-thread or a bolt through the assembly, put a nut on the other end, and tighten it down. The bearing will get pulled out of the housing and into the tube piece. No hammering, no screwdrivers to mess up the seals, and if done right, no flat spots made in the bearings/races from primitive pounding.

I don't use pullers or anything. I always 'walk' them out by tapping (hammer and screw driver) on the outer race. Light taps not maniac hammering. There are even notches in my HR hubs that allow this to happen. Take a good look and might be covered up by dirt. I have a notch in each quadrant.

A tap and go around in circles, you know when to hammer harder when there is no movement after going around once.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back