Traxxas connectors (I’m sponsored don’t give me s****)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
Hello,
I am currently running my kraton 6s exb on 3s traxxas lipo connectors. I use these because I get them for free from my local hobbyshop via sponsor. I was wondering if I ever wanted to run 8s would I have to use 4s connectors or would 3s connectors work? Also if I use 4s connectors can I run 6s on them? I use 2 connectors.

It's a matter of how much current the ESC/Motor draw. The reality is that it's probably not suited for high current applications.

Traxxas says they are "high-current" which could mean anything.
https://traxxas.com/products/parts/accessories/hcconnector

However, I've seen other sources that state 60 amp. Which that could be 60 amps continuous and the burst is much higher. I'm sure Traxxas will not give out the spec either.
https://blog.ampow.com/rc-battery-connector-types/

Because the voltage is higher the current can be lower and still have the same power (wattage). However, when people 8S it's because the want more power. You could turn two in parallel, but it's probably not worth your time to make that work and it would be bulky.

For about $5 you can get XT90s or EC5 connectors. If you have very high current <200A, you can run QS8 for about $8 a pair.

It's a matter of how much current the ESC/Motor draw. The reality is that it's probably not suited for high current applications.

Traxxas says they are "high-current" which could mean anything.
https://traxxas.com/products/parts/accessories/hcconnector

However, I've seen other sources that state 60 amp. Which that could be 60 amps continuous and the burst is much higher. I'm sure Traxxas will not give out the spec either.
https://blog.ampow.com/rc-battery-connector-types/

Because the voltage is higher the current can be lower and still have the same power (wattage). However, when people 8S it's because the want more power. You could turn two in parallel, but it's probably not worth your time to make that work and it would be bulky.

For about $5 you can get XT90s or EC5 connectors. If you have very high current <200A, you can run QS8 for about $8 a pair.
Thanks for that reply friend. Currently using max 6 combo geared 25/50. Do you think if I use 2 4s connectors I could use 6s??

Thanks for that reply friend. Currently using max 6 combo geared 25/50. Do you think if I use 2 4s connectors I could use 6s??

From the Amain website.
1686637977214.png

Keep in mind that I'm a bit conservative and over engineer everything.

If you really want to use the Traxxas connectors, I would say you need at least 2 connectors per battery, which means you would have 4 connectors if you run two 4S packs. It's going to be a mess.

Me, personally, I would run no less than and EC5 (120A). Or more likely an 8mm based connector; EC8, QS8 or an 8mm bullet. The QS8 is an 8mm bullet with an anti-spark feature.

In the end if you spend $20 on connectors, it will be much cleaner and you won't need custom wiring on every battery you use and it's cheap insurance on a $1K RC. Connectors do burn up and they can cause damage.

The Traxxas connectors suck. They have very little surface area on the contacts compared to an XT90/EC5.

Is it the batteries you are getting or just the connectors? If it's just the connectors, bro they are like $5 for a pair. If it's the batteries, just be warned it doesn't take much to melt the solder from the cells to the "smart" chip if you are spinning something more heavy duty than the Traxxas motor it was designed for. Ask me how I know :D

From the Amain website.
View attachment 305538
Keep in mind that I'm a bit conservative and over engineer everything.

If you really want to use the Traxxas connectors, I would say you need at least 2 connectors per battery, which means you would have 4 connectors if you run two 4S packs. It's going to be a mess.

Me, personally, I would run no less than and EC5 (120A). Or more likely an 8mm based connector; EC8, QS8 or an 8mm bullet. The QS8 is an 8mm bullet with an anti-spark feature.

In the end if you spend $20 on connectors, it will be much cleaner and you won't need custom wiring on every battery you use and it's cheap insurance on a $1K RC. Connectors do burn up and they can cause damage.
Yea you right..I just like free poop lol thank you for your response

I didn't realize there were two different versions. Good to know. Maybe the larger ones will hold the current?

But why use a propriety plug which design hasn't been influenced by performance, but instead to lock you into a companies batteries and chargers? Especially when buying a much better performing plug is a handful of £/$s.

I use XT90s on most of my cars but I still have 2 Traxxas packs that I use in my Maxx. Sometimes I'll use them in my X-Maxx/XRT which use XT90s so I made adapters. After a run, the XT90 is noticeably cooler than the Traxxas connectors.

The surface area of the contacts is tiny and that is the issue. Fine if you are using a Traxxas motor/ESC but anything spicier and another connector is a better option.

Even compare how the wires solder on. You are soldering wire to a bit of flat metal with a small contact patch with TRX. XT90s/EC5s etc have a cup the wire sits in and is filled with solder giving a lot larger surface area for currant to transfer through.

But why use a propriety plug which design hasn't been influenced by performance, but instead to lock you into a companies batteries and chargers? Especially when buying a much better performing plug is a handful of £/$s.

I use XT90s on most of my cars but I still have 2 Traxxas packs that I use in my Maxx. Sometimes I'll use them in my X-Maxx/XRT which use XT90s so I made adapters. After a run, the XT90 is noticeably cooler than the Traxxas connectors.

The surface area of the contacts is tiny and that is the issue. Fine if you are using a Traxxas motor/ESC but anything spicier and another connector is a better option.

Even compare how the wires solder on. You are soldering wire to a bit of flat metal with a small contact patch with TRX. XT90s/EC5s etc have a cup the wire sits in and is filled with solder giving a lot larger surface area for currant to transfer through.
I totally agree and use XT60 on TRX and Slash and us QS8 on the speed run cars. QS8 is awesome, but it is bulky and can be difficult to get them together/apart sometimes. I've killed a few from them not being fully seated.

IMG_3286.png

I’m going to snip off the traxxas female on the single qs8 to traxxas female and solder to esc then use the connector with 2 traxxas male connectors all my batteries are traxxas because they are free and it seems like a nightmare to solder on qs8 plugs onto the new traxxas batteries. Does that clear things up or was that not explained properly?

At least Horizon used a decent plug when they made their proprietary batteries and chargers now if they could give us better quality and better performing packs they might be worth double the price of batteries from companies like CNHL.

I believe there is no 3s or 4s connectors they are all the same i believe they made them bigger looking because of their smart chargers. They use the same pins just bulkier plastic with maybe a sensor for the charger or something. Otherwise i don't know why they made them bigger

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back