Spektrum Reciever In a Traxxas Vehicle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArrmaK8

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I just replaced the traxxas reciever to an spektrum reciever, with a new controller. The reciever was from an Kraton 8s 1/5. As soon as i turned it on, and i press the throttle it moves very little, and after 2s the vxl 6s esc blinka red on the Ampere light. The batteries are fully charged and i tried calibrating the esc. No success. The reciever is mounted on a Traxxas E-Revo 2.0

20240102_165505.JPG

As far as I know, that’s only on the XO-1

we can make this work… it takes a little effort, so I need to know which model radio you have, what’s the receiver model number as well. I make it work, but there’s a trick to it. You can see proof in this video I made with the VXL-6S…

I found the problem. Something wrong with the transmission since the wheels moves very little. Thats why the esc blinked red. I read the manual

The problem was in the motor, design failure by Traxxas. the cables touched eachother which caused a shortage. But I fixed it. Traxxas made the cable hole on the opposite side so the cables would touch eachother. Sneaky move made by Traxxas.

I was going to say the insulation and heat shrink on the motor cables in the picture are really suspect.. that needs to be addressed or else when the wires touch, poof, there goes the esc.. been there, LOL.
As to using "other" brands of radio with TRX escs, no problemo. I've done it many times. Spektrum, Flysky..works fine.
I just recently learned that TrapXus likes to firmware lock their ESCs to their own branded receivers...

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...xas-100mph-xo-1-rtr.67394/page-3#post-1029777

Nasty company trick to force customers into their ecosystem!
I think that's just on the X0-1 though. Or whatever it's called..also likely why JRC still has the esc from it..unusable elsewhere..

The problem was in the motor, design failure by Traxxas. the cables touched eachother which caused a shortage. But I fixed it. Traxxas made the cable hole on the opposite side so the cables would touch eachother. Sneaky move made by Traxxas.
Those connectors for the motor cables being exposed is most likely the cause, which will also creates a dead short once throttle is applied. Bye-bye esc..this isn't a TRX problem, can happen to any brand. The problem is poor cable management, which is on you unfortunately. I have seen examples of poor cable management from pretty much all the manufacturers at one time or another..problem is, they just bunch them up, ziptie, and ship it.. after a period of use, the bundled wires rubbing together will eventually rub through both the insulation and heat shrink. Then it's game over for the esc.. You have to be mindful of these things and take steps to avoid it from happening. There's plenty of ways to use zipties as cable separators, and minimize cable movement. I doubt the issue you're experiencing is transmission related..BTW the flashing red light on the vxl means game over, it's toast. You need to replace the heat shrink on those bullet connectors first thing, maybe you'll get lucky and the esc will still work. I'd be surprised though TBH. 🤞

Those connectors for the motor cables being exposed is most likely the cause, which will also creates a dead short once throttle is applied. Bye-bye esc..this isn't a TRX problem, can happen to any brand. The problem is poor cable management, which is on you unfortunately. I have seen examples of poor cable management from pretty much all the manufacturers at one time or another..problem is, they just bunch them up, ziptie, and ship it.. after a period of use, the bundled wires rubbing together will eventually rub through both the insulation and heat shrink. Then it's game over for the esc.. You have to be mindful of these things and take steps to avoid it from happening. There's plenty of ways to use zipties as cable separators, and minimize cable movement. I doubt the issue you're experiencing is transmission related..BTW the flashing red light on the vxl means game over, it's toast. You need to replace the heat shrink on those bullet connectors first thing, maybe you'll get lucky and the esc will still work. I'd be surprised though TBH. 🤞
Cable management is a problem in almost every RC I own and it is one of the things that really surprised me about vehicle design. Pushing a battery lack into a tray where the wires are immediately bent 90 degrees means the they rub over time, especially in a basher.

It seems like proper cable routing would be huge concern but no. Very odd.

I use Wire Braid sheath wire covers on my custom soldered builds. Yes any new out the box RC kit needs to have the wiring Tidy'ed up with zip ties.
>>>Just not all TOO tight. Its not necessary. Just enough to keep wires away from moving parts.
Providing some "Strain Relief" allowing enough slack for chassis flex/hard impacts..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back