Traxxas connectors (I’m sponsored don’t give me s****)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe there is no 3s or 4s connectors they are all the same i believe they made them bigger looking because of their smart chargers. They use the same pins just bulkier plastic with maybe a sensor for the charger or something. Otherwise i don't know why they made them bigger
Thank you for the input I was not aware

View attachment 306713
I’m going to snip off the traxxas female on the single qs8 to traxxas female and solder to esc then use the connector with 2 traxxas male connectors all my batteries are traxxas because they are free and it seems like a nightmare to solder on qs8 plugs onto the new traxxas batteries. Does that clear things up or was that not explained properly?

Apologies, I had missed the bit where you were using Traxxas batteries, thought it was just the connectors. Yeah the Traxxas packs seem like a nightmare to try and convert to a standard balance plug. I'm tempted to try on one of my Traxxas packs with a dead cell though.

I believe there is no 3s or 4s connectors they are all the same i believe they made them bigger looking because of their smart chargers. They use the same pins just bulkier plastic with maybe a sensor for the charger or something. Otherwise i don't know why they made them bigger
The pins are bigger on the bigger plugs. Still a tiny contact area though

There is a difference in the Traxxas 3s and 4s connectors: I went through that issue when I put a VXL-6 ESC into my Maxx. The difference is in the plastic housing on the connectors: the 4s has a different configuration than the 3s. You can plug a 3s battery into a 4s connector, but you cannot plug a 4s battery into a 3s connector. Ask me how I know.

There is a difference in the Traxxas 3s and 4s connectors: I went through that issue when I put a VXL-6 ESC into my Maxx. The difference is in the plastic housing on the connectors: the 4s has a different configuration than the 3s. You can plug a 3s battery into a 4s connector, but you cannot plug a 4s battery into a 3s connector. Ask me how I know.
OK I will bite, how do you know this?

OK I will bite, how do you know this?
Because I went through a debacle when I decided to replace the VXl-4 ESC in my Maxx with a VXL-6 ESC. I had to swap the plastic part of the connector from the VXL-4 to the VXL-6 to run a 4s battery with the VXL-6, which has two 3s connectors. And you need Traxxas charger designed for a 4s to charge the batteries: a regular Traxxas charger for 2s and 3s batteries will not charge a 4s battery because of the difference in the connectors.

Because I went through a debacle when I decided to replace the VXl-4 ESC in my Maxx with a VXL-6 ESC. I had to swap the plastic part of the connector from the VXL-4 to the VXL-6 to run a 4s battery with the VXL-6, which has two 3s connectors. And you need Traxxas charger designed for a 4s to charge the batteries: a regular Traxxas charger for 2s and 3s batteries will not charge a 4s battery because of the difference in the connectors.
I was positive the terminals were different so pulled some apart and well I'll be, you are correct they are the same.

For those not following:

tempImagepEHrAT.jpg

Both pins identical.

tempImageg47bbA.jpg

tempImagew2F9DU.jpg

4s connector on the left. 2/3/NiMH connector on the right.

I'm particularly sensitive about these connectors/chargers as when I got into the hobby I bought a (useless) MERV, sucked the Traxxas teat and bought the batteries and chargers thinking well when I get an X-Maxx I can use the charger. Yeah no. The charger for the big plug will charge the small plugs, but not the other way round.

Apologies, I had missed the bit where you were using Traxxas batteries, thought it was just the connectors. Yeah the Traxxas packs seem like a nightmare to try and convert to a standard balance plug. I'm tempted to try on one of my Traxxas packs with a dead cell though.

Yea man I just want the qs8 to help tone down power blasts from such a large system I’m running
Thank you all for the input you are all appreciated!!

I was positive the terminals were different so pulled some apart and well I'll be, you are correct they are the same.

For those not following:

View attachment 306761

Both pins identical.

View attachment 306762

View attachment 306763

I'm particularly sensitive about these connectors/chargers as when I got into the hobby I bought a (useless) MERV, sucked the Traxxas teat and bought the batteries and chargers thinking well when I get an X-Maxx I can use the charger. Yeah no. The charger for the big plug will charge the small plugs, but not the other way round.
Don't feel bad about it. Traxxas plays many games with marketing.

In the end the battery will dictate how much power (current) is given. If Traxxas blessed with with what ever connector you should be good with it. Although, they might have beefed up the plastics around the tabs for a more secure connection? The big cars hit hard and I can see why the connector would pop apart.

Not sure if it’s just me, I had my stock maxx connectors melt. I was running stock wheels, esc, motor, and the Traxxas 5000mah 4s batt. Lame. Left a sour taste. Probably just a lemon but still a bummer.

If you are using QS8s, a huge currant connector, why would you use an adapter?
I run Amass xt150 anti-spark connectors on all my cars & boats ( apart from my Tamiya tt02 ) for some strange reason I find them easier to solder than QS8s. also makes it a breeze to connect 2 batteries in series.

At least Horizon used a decent plug when they made their proprietary batteries and chargers now if they could give us better quality and better performing packs they might be worth double the price of batteries from companies like CNHL.
I have a pair of Speculum 4s 5000 "100c" G1 smart batteries that get hotter under load than my 2 YO Zeee 5200 "50c" batteries.. same rig. Mind you, I didn't pay for the Speculum batts, my bro boght them for me.. talk about disappointment.. so glad I didn't pay $100 a piece for them.

For those not following:

View attachment 306761

Both pins identical.

View attachment 306762

View attachment 306763

That's straight up "Scamboogery" right there!! Just trying to extract more blood from their victims TRX is!! Shameless..

Last edited:
My brother is "vested" in TRX batts and chargers so Ive seen and know of them.. he's comin round tho.. in general I don't dislike TRX batteries and chargers for how they perform. It's the cost that's repulsive to me..

Yeah, seems like the biggest ripoff in batteries. At least they’re labeled (C rating) correctly, I’ll give them that.

Yeah, seems like the biggest ripoff in batteries. At least they’re labeled (C rating) correctly, I’ll give them that.
Yep, and it appears that Spektrum is (or was) inflating the C ratings based on what my brother and are seeing with the G1 4s smart batteries we just got..
Interestingly, he also has some G2 3s packs that seem "better". Meaning they are rated at "50c" and seem to be "about that" based on our unscientific usage. BTW, he's had those for about a year.. makes me wonder how old the G1's we just bought actually are?

Spektrum is more expensive I just found out.

$180 for the Spektrum dual charger https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...aXyeb0wJRrQogPB22qUtVVTS9Ao9Nt1caAgAyEALw_wcB

$170 for the Traxxas https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxa...o94z_mRZRVqZYi568KEqZWyTxeuFMYSQaAodsEALw_wcB

$110 Spektrum 4s 5000mah 100c lipo https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...2-hardcase-lipo-battery-ic5/SPMX54S100H5.html

$100 Traxxas 4s 5000mah 20c. https://traxxas.com/products/parts/batteries/idpowercellbatteries/lipo/2889X-5000mah-148v-4S-25C

Iirc the Spektrum lipo has a slight performance advantage but nothing you would ever notice in the real world.

Yea you right..I just like free poop lol thank you for your response
Sometimes just because it is free, is not always the better choice. Been there. Trying to make it work just because they are "Free"??:unsure:
TRX connectors were not and will never be all that. Most serious guys toss the Trx connectors out the box. That is just a given. There is a major liability with poor connectors.
What works for you, sure. (y)
Good luck.
Just a word of warning, it doesn't take a lot to melt the solder connecting the cells to the circuit board on the TRX packs
+1

They make adapters

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back