Mojave Traxxas Fan Thinking Of Getting Mojave...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickerz

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
This is my 1st post in this forum! Sorry for the long post but I'm hoping to get some questions answered to help me decide on my next basher...

I have an X-Maxx and love it and I'm thinking about getting another truck to bash with. I've always loved the look of Short Course & Desert Trucks. The Traxxas UDR looks good but from the videos I've seen, it seems to have a hard time staying on all 4 wheels. I also like the Traxxas ecosystem (i.e., customer & parts support, quality, tough, iLink w/bluetooth, telemetry, etc.).

Having said that, Horizon has caught my attention with all the options they have with ARRMA, Losi, etc. and they all look great imo! I'm no stranger to Horizon products as I prefer them for all my RC planes stuff and I know Horizon also has GREAT customer support. However, one thing I know about their planes is they discontinue them after 2-3 years and finding parts becomes difficult to impossible. This really bothers me about Horizon and I want to know if this is the case with their RC cars/trucks. I have to say, it's a deal breaker for me. The ARRMA & Losi stuff seems to be tough as nails but more affordable than Traxxas which is another reason I'm considering them and I also noticed they have an app that offers telemetry info via a bluetooth module that is similar to Traxxas' iLink app which I like.

So I'm hoping I can get some questions answered to see if my truck should be either a MOJAVE RTR ($630), Roller ($530) or Losi Super Baja Rey 2.0 8S ($900 - it seems to be everything I want, plus a LED lights! but...I'd like to see more from other reviews on the Losi first to make sure it handles like or better than the Mojave seems to and as tough)...

1. What is the Mojave BLX? I thought this was the Roller since it just came out but I think the BLX isn't out yet, right? Anyone know how much this might be?

2. Would it make sense to spend the extra $100 for the Mojave RTR & sell the electronics that I don't want vs. getting the Roller? I think I could get back over $100 if I sell off each part from the RTR that isn't included in the BLX Roller...

3. Does the app for any of the ARRMA electrics (i.e., ESC, motor) provide telemetry or do all of these components need to be Spektrum to get the full telemetry? What I'm really interested in, is knowing how much mAh is left in the battery assuming I have to buy the Spektrum lipos to get this info. The answer to this question might help me know if I should buy the BLX Roller.

4. Does ARRMA make an LED light kit for the Mojave or is all aftermarket? Does it work with the app?

Like I said, I can't stress this enough, if parts support is an issue, then I'm out. I don't want to even think about stocking up on all parts that might break b/c Horizon has ADD and looses interest, then simply moves on from a product. I don't want that. I don't think about this for Traxxas and it's peace of mind so that if I take a break from bashing and fly my planes (trying to be careful not to crash so I don't need to worry about parts lol), I can come back to bashing and still get parts years later, better yet, forever! Traxxas knows how important parts support is so I hope this is the case with Horizon cars b/c it sure isn't with their planes...ARG! My only grip at Horizon.

Again sorry for the long 1st post, just trying to get more info but I have to say, ARRMA sure seems to have their sights set on Traxxas and it seems to be working. I think I saw that 2 out of 3 new RC purchases is ARRMA now, if that's true, wow! They sure have a lot of good looking stuff!!!

P.S Here is a pic of my X-Maxx right now, disassembled for cleaning and maintenance. I do love working on this truck so I'm hoping the Mojave is easy to work on too!

WnfieyvHFoblJsL1h_WRisYvfYWYu6LaBNwsAjqm2O8dLbz-Ox9jcbCtu5d2EcS-CLZQOFC1mJszkbNeopGcbEoCqbLGweP5cF_po7TZanNPubAFg7FJ8YXFFyafnYzrtGmx3_wAozg=w2400

anPcp7S_zYBqYL0B1of6QzCcNHOrH1ZKcRxVxv2-a8tgoKhw9vbcf3SOvOiY13Ae2zS32geAv1lSxrVHB26A1-DgOrFFJiRr3b8HFZFGpljNVxkQm1YYV1gYyk-lB6bJgpa7repspto=w2400

Last edited:
I experience parts on backorder all the time which sucks. BUT I too have two xmaxxes and have been waiting for toe links for two months and three months for diff gears to be back in stock. Overall traxxas parts are better available.

There's a Mojave blx which is the rtr and now the Mojave exb is announced which is a roller with lots of upgraded parts.

My advice go with Losi. I have UDR and and it won’t come close to super Baja Rey 2. I don’t have a Mojave but I like the rear axel setup more and scale details on sbr.

What are you hoping to do with your new truck? Arrmas are mostly bash focused as opposed to Losi or possibly the UDR, so that may influence your decision.

Arrma is pretty good about supporting their stuff. Horizon just took over about 2 years ago, so not much experience yet on how they will affect that, but Arrma is on the 4th version of some of their cars and from what I understand, a lot of new parts wind up being backwards compatible with older versions. They have discontinued some models though. Sometimes not by choice. Mention the Nero and you’ll bring out a lot of Traxxas hate around here.

The RTR Mojave and the EXB differ in more than just that one is RTR and the other is a roller. The EXB has a ton of upgraded parts over the RTR. (Chassis, braces, suspension arms, etc.). Even if you buy the RTR and sell the electronics, you won’t be getting the EXB unless you upgrade a lot of stuff. The RTRs are tough, but the EXB has a lot of upgrades baked in that some bashers add to the RTR in order to make them more bulletproof. All in what you want.

Howdy and Welcome!

As for "The App" - there is not one for Spektrum. To see live telemetry with the Firma smart ESC's, you need to have one ofthe DX5* or higher radios, and the telemetry (like battery voltage) will show on the radio screen.
(from the DX5C product page)
spektrum.jpg

As for the BLX6s vs the EXB - the BLX has been for sale for about a year (or more) and will probably get the V4 upgrade (firma electronics) soon.

The EXB swaps nearly all the aluminum to milled 7075 vs the 6k grade stamped that is one the BLX. Plus the arms shock mounts, and a few other parts are beefed up vs the standard BLX. Overall, the EXB will be a much stronger truck. If you have some extra electronics laying around, it should be a no-brainer, get the EXB.

Mojave vs UDR vs SBR - IMHO, comes down to handling. Do you want scale handling, or better handling? :)

Thanks for the replies! I'm interested more in bashing but not Kevin Talbot style of bashing/abusing lol! The place I drive the most at is a big open field of fine, dusty/dirt roads with bumps and rocks here and there.

I'm still confused then with the app part from what I saw here...
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/dx2e-active-bluetooth-module/SPM6741.html

...if you scroll down there's a video explaining it which looks like what Traxxas offers via their iLink. Or is this something else?

The arrma mojave is one of the best arrma ever made thats what a lot of people say because its tough, beautiful, absorbs everything, 2 year of warranty over the electronics. Only the stx2 sucks and maybe the servo
Thanks for the replies! I'm interested more in bashing but not Kevin Talbot style of bashing/abusing lol! The place I drive the most at is a big open field of fine, dusty/dirt roads with bumps and rocks here and there.

I'm still confused then with the app part from what I saw here...
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/dx2e-active-bluetooth-module/SPM6741.html

...if you scroll down there's a video explaining it which looks like what Traxxas offers via their iLink. Or is this something else?
The differance with the traxxas link is even if you don't use the spektrum bluetooth you still can tune the acceleration/brake force/ race mode/sport mode/ beginner mode if i don't mistaken. The differance between the traxxas and horizon ecosystem is they are not pushing you to buy their lipos, chargers and bluetooth to have fun. Your lipos sizes are not restricted,your esc are not locked from you,the esc is already smart ready, the spektrum lipos still uses balance ports. Its all an option. I always felt you had to have the traxxas equipment to have fun because you are locked in a lot of importabt places if you get their lipos you have to buy their charger cannot use them in another rc or in another charger and thats not what the hobby is about. Its about having options arrma allows you to use what ever body/upgrade parts you desire.

Most people remplaces the stx2 with the dumborc 6 channels+gyro for 25$

Last edited:
You look like an experienced rc guy and into it pretty heavy. Either Mojave exb roller with the mmx8s/1717 or the big Losi. Either of those setups would be fun and nearly the similar money depending on your radio gear. The big Losi would be hard to pass on though. I never saw one in person, just looks killer on video. Here’s a couple great Mojave exb videos.
Forgive me if you’ve seen them.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I'll have to call Horizon to get clarification on the Bluetooth module then. I think it will work with the DX3???

Yeah, I'm still undecided but leaning a little towards the Losi SBR 2.0 but there hasn't been a lot of info on it yet since it's still new. I just can't get past the Mojave being a complete animal...just seems to take abuse all day long and cheaper too! So we'll see but I'm still waiting. My wife agreed to buy either one for our next anniversary coming up next month! So when ya got the wife's approval, especially on any RC...yeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaa! lol! :love:

P.S. For some reason I haven't been getting the email alerts to new posts, they stopped after my last post??? I clicked on Preferences and all the alerts are set properly and nothing in my junk/spam folder? I'll see if I get an alert to any replies going forward. Thanks again for your help guys!

Awesome pics! I got an email so looks like all is good for getting alerts now...

I can highly recommend the mojave exb. The mojave blx rtr is fricking awesome but the exb is even better so go for the exb and put some big powerful electronics in it. I would probably put a max 6 combo in it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back