trouble picking the right RC car for my needs...Typhon issues..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a foam plug then lay down the carbon fiber

03B52B38-5E48-4DCA-9E1F-CC269CFC3457.jpeg

I have both and the TLR and I eventually want to try and dirt track it. But if you have it in your budget? It’s nearly indestructible. I bashed it yesterday and sent it. Landed badly and the shock towers are so good? It just sheered the nut and bolt. Cheapest repair. One screw. But the 6S Typhon is no traxxas bandit. It’s nimble. Rips on multiple terrain. It’s not worth even thinking of a 3s Typhon. It runs like a raped ape on 4s and on 6S? It’s absolutely a violent and jibe them driving skills.

yeah i'm in the process of waiting until I have some extra income laying around and then I'll likely grab a Typhon 6s. I figured i'll just run it on 6s and turn the power down to 50 or 70 percent (I forget what the radio has on it) until I get the hang of it. That way I'm not beating on it even when i'm beating on it. haha. I thought about the TLR, but honestly I don't need it. I'm not really jumping this thing. I just like going fast and drifting in the dirt. If I want to eventually jump it, I will and if I break stuff, i'll upgrade it. But i'm more than likely just going to rip it around some local parks and maybe put some road tires on it for big parking lots.

Question...

if I end up truggifying it, what exactly do I need? And will I still be able to run the stock tires or run road tires like the Hoons?

Ok so I had 2 different Typhon 3s's, and I loved them, except they kept breaking so I finally gave up. The first one I had kept going into low power mode, so I exchanged it for another one. Then the second one stripped the spur gear after the 3rd time. I installed an Arrma branded metal slipper clutch assembly, and then after a few runs that stripped my pinion gear. I got fed up and returned the car last week. I want to clarify, I'm not doing anything wild with these cars. I simply like ripping them around my local park once a week. No jumping...just flinging dirt around and going fast in big circles. That's the extend of the abuse. Arrma's support wasn't very helpful at all with either of these situations...so I was going to give up on Arrma, but I decided to forget that since I really like the Typhon. It handles awesome and it's so fun. So should I

1. Get another Typhon 3s and build it up to not break every time it's mildly windy...
2. Get a Typhon 6s and run it on 3s or 4s (essentially never abusing the car since i'm running it below it's potential)
3. Or should I forget the Typhon or Arrma cars altogether and try something else...

I just want something that isn't going to break constantly. Since I'm not doing anything wild with it, I kind fo expect a high quality "indestructable" RC car to work most of the time...or am I simply dreaming? I'm new to this hobby, but I do have 2 Hyper Go cars that seem like they are impossible to break. I figured the Arrma car would be even better.

Does Toyota make RC cars? haha..

thanks in advance...
6s 👍

Yes. No issues. They are some king of Duratrax belted 17mm tire. The stock Typhoon tires work great too!

hey...i'm wondering if ya'll think it's worth the extra hundred or so dollars to get the TLR Typhon 6s? if so, why?
Not really worth it, imo. If you're just driving around the dirt, not really "jumping it" then I say it's not. It's not worth the extra effort and $ to replace all of the pills in the arms/ bulkheads all the time, for one thing. Also, you were asking for battery recommendations. I only run cnhl for my batteries, after much trials and tribulations. I get 6000mah or 5000mah g+ 70c batteries or even 6200mah 100c. They last a long time & they're pretty affordable. I hope this helps- I currently have 3x 6s typhons.

Not really worth it, imo. If you're just driving around the dirt, not really "jumping it" then I say it's not. It's not worth the extra effort and $ to replace all of the pills in the arms/ bulkheads all the time, for one thing. Also, you were asking for battery recommendations. I only run cnhl for my batteries, after much trials and tribulations. I get 6000mah or 5000mah g+ 70c batteries or even 6200mah 100c. They last a long time & they're pretty affordable. I hope this helps- I currently have 3x 6s typhons.
Yeah i def don’t want to be doing more maintenance than I have to. I have enough crap in my other hobbies that requires constant repairs. And if I do decide to start jumping, isn’t the regular Typhon 6s robust enough for some of that?

Ok great. I’ll look into those batteries. How much run time are you getting on average with those?

Yeah i def don’t want to be doing more maintenance than I have to. I have enough crap in my other hobbies that requires constant repairs. And if I do decide to start jumping, isn’t the regular Typhon 6s robust enough for some of that?

Ok great. I’ll look into those batteries. How much run time are you getting on average with those?
It'll take more than a few tumble wumbles, that's for sure. I think that will successfully get like 15-20 cartwheels, end over ends, whatever you like. The way I drove mine was um...kinda reckless, to say the least!😃🤪
I'm getting 30-40 minutes of run time now, but I have slowed down a lot. I'm just not getting as fast as I was.
Thread 'Minute discussion' https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/minute-discussion.63873/

It'll take more than a few tumble wumbles, that's for sure. I think that will successfully get like 15-20 cartwheels, end over ends, whatever you like. The way I drove mine was um...kinda reckless, to say the least!😃🤪
I'm getting 30-40 minutes of run time now, but I have slowed down a lot. I'm just not getting as fast as I was.
Thread 'Minute discussion' https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/minute-discussion.63873/
gotcha...well thanks for the info. I think i'm going to order a Typhon 6s now along with one of those batteries you suggested and a cheap Hoovo back up battery. 30-40 minutes of run time is amazing. I was expecting 20-30 mins tops.

I went with the TLR, all the 7075 parts got me. I saw concerns over the pills as well, but, there are many here that have never broken one.

I figured I could 3d design one and print it out of TPU and have the toughest Typhon on the road! :cool:

I am a little shocked no one has done that yet, or RPM has not made them. Seems like their plastic mix would be a good candidate. :unsure:

will this CNHL battery fit in the Typhon 6s? it looks like it may be a bit too tall?

CNHL 6000mah 6s
I get everything from cnhl directly. Don't have any of those tho. Take a look @ what they have to offer. Just use a bit of common sense of which batteries you are getting, measure twice buy once.

will this CNHL battery fit in the Typhon 6s? it looks like it may be a bit too tall?

CNHL 6000mah 6s
I have made the mistake of buying to big of batteries. 47x47x138mm is what is good for me. Body mounts low not much extra room. You can go longer but is kind of a pain to strap in. I run 4s lighter and more nimble, less breakage and wear and tear as well. Enjoy

I have made the mistake of buying to big of batteries. 47x47x138mm is what is good for me. Body mounts low not much extra room. You can go longer but is kind of a pain to strap in. I run 4s lighter and more nimble, less breakage and wear and tear as well. Enjoy
What 4s batteries do you run?

I just got the car and ripped it a little before I head out to a gig....this thing is freaking bananas...I can't wait to take it for a proper rip in a park....4s at 100 percent is plenty...and 6s at 75 is awesome too....i'll probably only do 6s at 100 percent for the occasional giggle because I really don't want to break it right away..haha..

Back