Granite Truck Recommendations - Do almost everything trail truck?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mudrock22

Reaction score
I recently bought a Granite Voltage 2wd as a first truck. It's been fun but as a super entry level truck, it lacks 4x4, locking diff, suspension, brushless etc. I started doing research for the next truck to buy with the intention of riding on grass, dirt, light bashing, and hiking trails rides. I live up here in the Northeast and go hiking and would like to bring an RC truck for more entertainment on the hikes (the Granite couldn't do it). I'm not interested in slow crawls and super technical stuff and would like something to durable to keep up with me on very mild rocky the terrain/dirt on hikes at normal pace and can take some light bashing sprinkled in. I'm shying away from dedicated crawlers right now and wanted to get some suggestions on vehicles to look at.

The truck that stands out to me that fits this bill is the Traxxas Summit but from reviews it's a dated truck that is prone to breakage and issues. I like that it has a high/lo gear and front/back/all locking diffs. I was hoping to stay with the ARRMA quality, can you guys recommend a truck that fits the bill or something comparable that requires minor mods for my needs? Thanks!

Sounds like Senton or Mojave fits the bill.

The summit would be cool.
It honestly makes the most sense. If you are going on hikes up hills something that has big tires and can crawl over things easily sounds perfect.
Does this video match the terrain you go over?

Last edited:
From the sound of what you are looking for, you will not be disappointed when you buy a Mojave 6S BLX. The Senton is fine but it is quite a bit smaller. The Mojave is a real kick to drive and it has that authentic Short Course truck lean going around corners.

Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 12.56.51 PM.png

From the sound of what you are looking for, you will not be disappointed when you buy a Mojave 6S BLX. The Senton is fine but it is quite a bit smaller. The Mojave is a real kick to drive and it has that authentic Short Course truck lean going around corners.

View attachment 112891
Hmm, this is what you guys think? I am imagining him hiking up rocks and steep things.

It honestly makes the most sense. If you are going on hikes up hills something that has big tires and can crawl over things easily sounds perfect.
Yeah more or less the same terrain but a little more grade and some bigger rocks (can just pick up and walk over if anything)! The Summit looks like it'll be able to just power through some rocky sections that I don't want to spend too much time getting technical and slow crawler over. Looking for non-scale truck with big tires, plush suspension, lockers, durable enough to not cost $$$ for every scratch and fix. Wondering if Summit is the best modern option or dated junk.

View attachment 112891
For those recommending the Senton, can this thing go for prolonged hikes (1-2+ hours) at faster than normal walking speed without hurting the motors? This looks like a nimble truck with some hustle, can it crawl a bit and have enough articulation to get up over bigger rocks?
I feel like an Axial Bomber or any rock racer might be a good fit for you.
I like it! This looks like a decent alternative to the Summit. Seems sturdier than the scale crawlers and looks like it can take some bashing! It's cheaper than the Summit too! How does Axial generally hold up against Traxxas?

Last edited:
Yeah more or less the same terrain but a little more grade and some bigger rocks (can just pick up and walk over if anything)! The Summit looks like it'll be able to just power through some rocky sections that I don't want to spend too much time getting technical and slow crawler over. Looking for non-scale truck with big tires, plush suspension, lockers, durable enough to not cost $$$ for every scratch and fix. Wondering if Summit is the best modern option or dated junk.

For those recommending the Senton, can this thing go for prolonged hikes (1-2+ hours) at faster than normal walking speed without hurting the motors? This looks like a nimble truck with some hustle, can it crawl a bit and have enough articulation to get up over bigger rocks?

I like it! This looks like a decent alternative to the Summit. Seems sturdier than the scale crawlers and looks like it can take some bashing! It's cheaper than the Summit too! How does Axial generally hold up against Traxxas?
Do you have a lipo charger already? If not you could get this https://www.rcplanet.com/traxxas-2s-battery-charger-combo-tra2991/ https://www.rcplanet.com/traxxas-su...onster-truck-rtr-tqi-2-4ghz-radio-tra56076-4/

I recently bought a Granite Voltage 2wd as a first truck. It's been fun but as a super entry level truck, it lacks 4x4, locking diff, suspension, brushless etc. I started doing research for the next truck to buy with the intention of riding on grass, dirt, light bashing, and hiking trails rides. I live up here in the Northeast and go hiking and would like to bring an RC truck for more entertainment on the hikes (the Granite couldn't do it). I'm not interested in slow crawls and super technical stuff and would like something to durable to keep up with me on very mild rocky the terrain/dirt on hikes at normal pace and can take some light bashing sprinkled in. I'm shying away from dedicated crawlers right now and wanted to get some suggestions on vehicles to look at.

The truck that stands out to me that fits this bill is the Traxxas Summit but from reviews it's a dated truck that is prone to breakage and issues. I like that it has a high/lo gear and front/back/all locking diffs. I was hoping to stay with the ARRMA quality, can you guys recommend a truck that fits the bill or something comparable that requires minor mods for my needs? Thanks!
I've had my MM2 6s Summit for nearly a decade, mostly trail hike with mild bashing. I've not broken a single thing except for a lost yoke screw in all that time. It can do 5+ miles at crawl speeds easily with juice to spare on a pair of 5000mah 2s packs. It really is the jack of all trades truck...

From the crawler side of things, Traxxas is unmatched with the TRX4. Axial has a decent aftermarket though and the Bomber is on its 2nd reiteration and therefore should have some bugs worked out. I personally do not own one but have been on the look out for a car like this. I wanted the Losi Lasernut but too many issues out of the box have prevented me from buying. As far as the Summit goes, I’d wait to see if it gets the E Revo 2.0 treatment. Otherwise, drivetrain durability could be a constant issue. Also check out the Losi Rock Rey. Or even the Super Rock Rey if you want a bigger platform. I’ve heard good things about both but both seem like a pain to work on.

Id be careful with the Summit. Not that it is a bad truck, but will not be the best at any particular driving. If you are wanting to climb rocks, and terrain that will hook on the undercarriage, you really need a solid axle setup. Now if you want to drive on some rocky stuff, but nothing extreme, the Summit will be fine.

The TRX4 would be the better option for difficult, slow terrain driving.

If you are still torn you might want to check out the Redcat Wendigo (Rock Racer) and/or the Redcat Gen8 Scout (crawler). They share much of the same chassis components with main difference being what's used in the front/rear axles, shocks, and motor/esc used. Here's a vid that highlights their differences.

Fyi I have their gen8 scout crawler and it's a fun truck. I like Redcat non basher vehicles because their price is pretty competitive for what you get, especially when comparing to similar class of vehicles from brands like Axial and Traxxas. Those other brands may be a bit better but you sure do pay a bit more for them.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. To quote the Jang the Traxxas Summit is a jack of all trades master of none. Stock out of the box unless you are sending it too the moon or running into things full speed it is very bulletproof.
Id be careful with the Summit. Not that it is a bad truck, but will not be the best at any particular driving. If you are wanting to climb rocks, and terrain that will hook on the undercarriage, you really need a solid axle setup. Now if you want to drive on some rocky stuff, but nothing extreme, the Summit will be fine.

The TRX4 would be the better option for difficult, slow terrain driving.
The Summit can do some light crawling, I've taken mine out with one of the local crawler groups and it did just fine.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. To quote the Jang the Traxxas Summit is a jack of all trades master of none. Stock out of the box unless you are sending it too the moon or running into things full speed it is very bulletproof.

The Summit can do some light crawling, I've taken mine out with one of the local crawler groups and it did just fine.
Oh it definitely can do a bit of crawling, but if the intent was to only do crawling, slow trail driving, and have some sort of scale look, the Summit would be a bad choice. Now if you want to also do some higher speed offroading, a crawler or scale crawler would get mighty boring

Oh it definitely can do a bit of crawling, but if the intent was to only do crawling, slow trail driving, and have some sort of scale look, the Summit would be a bad choice. Now if you want to also do some higher speed offroading, a crawler or scale crawler would get mighty boring

What about a losi rock rey?

My vote is redcat gen 8 axe. Throw a cheap fpv system in it and it will go for over an hour at least with a 5000 mah battery. Find a spot ,sit down and go deep into the woods with it. More then capable truck for what you are looking to do.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back