Trying to decide what to build next.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Especially from TA, who could have pulled from Axials parts bins and r&d and done one up right
I think Horizon owns Axial. But yes I agree about a solid rear axle drag car. It’s too bad the drag race scene seems to be dying down. I would’ve loved to see it evolve to bigger, RWD dedicated drag cars.

I think Horizon owns Axial. But yes I agree about a solid rear axle drag car. It’s too bad the drag race scene seems to be dying down. I would’ve loved to see it evolve to bigger, RWD dedicated drag cars.
You’re right, I was thinking of Element RC, not Axial.

Yeah, the Mojave is an SCT, not a solid axle desert truck. I agree with you, apples and oranges for comparison in regard to the handling characteristics for sure.
It would be awesome if Arrma would do it, though.
And as for solid rear axles in general, I also can’t believe that after all this 1/10 Drag craze lately that we’re not seeing solid rear axle drag cars. Why the hell not? Especially from TA, who could have pulled from Axials parts bins and r&d and done one up right. Weird, right? Losi, TRX, Team Associated, you wanna build a drag car? Then build a freaking drag car, man.
That's a good question for which I do not have a good answer. If I had to hazard a guess, possibly a matter of efficiency? With most manufacturers having tossed their hat into the 1/10 scale drag racing arena, I find it difficult to believe that none of them would have opted for a solid rear axle if it offered any potential for producing better times. If they could leverage a mechanical advantage and go faster/accelerate quicker by going to a solid axle all other things being equal, I'm sure it would have already been done. I could be wrong of course, I'm just shootin' from the hip.

I was just looking at some top fuel drag cars in the hopes of finding some solid axles (which I did but not the kind I was hoping for) but they seem to go with a direct drive configuration with the spur mounted directly on the rear axle much like a 1/12 scale pan car or go-cart. At least the ones I turned up on a quick search anyways.

That's a good question for which I do not have a good answer. If I had to hazard a guess, possibly a matter of efficiency? With most manufacturers having tossed their hat into the 1/10 scale drag racing arena, I find it difficult to believe that none of them would have opted for a solid rear axle if it offered any potential for producing better times. If they could leverage a mechanical advantage and go faster/accelerate quicker by going to a solid axle all other things being equal, I'm sure it would have already been done. I could be wrong of course, I'm just shootin' from the hip.
There really aren’t any top level 1:1 drag cars out there with IRS. Just saying. Whether that advantage of a solid rear axle translates to a 1:10 RC I don’t know. I don’t know why it wouldn’t. It would offer the ideal drag setup of zero toe, zero camber for much better launches. Lock it up and let ’er rip.
I was just looking at some top fuel drag cars in the hopes of finding some solid axles (which I did but not the kind I was hoping for) but they seem to go with a direct drive configuration with the spur mounted directly on the rear axle much like a 1/12 scale pan car or go-cart. At least the ones I turned up on a quick search anyways.
Well, that would work well. When I was very young and dumb I went through a 1:1 drag phase. Back then, you threw in a Ford 9” diff with the spider gears welded together. There was just no better setup, as it allowed for pretty perfect and consistent launches. These cars were no fun making tight, low speed parking lot turns in but hey, what did we care?

There really aren’t any top level 1:1 drag cars out there with IRS. Just saying. Whether that advantage of a solid rear axle translates to a 1:10 RC I don’t know. I don’t know why it wouldn’t. It would offer the ideal drag setup of zero toe, zero camber for much better launches. Lock it up and let ’er rip.
Yeah, that'd be pretty dope.
Well, that would work well. When I was very young and dumb I went through a 1:1 drag phase. Back then, you threw in a Ford 9” diff with the spider gears welded together. There was just no better setup, as it allowed for pretty perfect and consistent launches. These cars were no fun making tight, low speed parking lot turns in but hey, what did we care?
Haha, yeah I bet.

The no-prep drag cars are surprisingly quick but I find it all a bit fiddly, requiring a fair amount of support gear to really get the best out of them (aside from the general setup there's a lot to do with tire prepping, tire warmers, ESC config, motor timing, etc.). I much prefer drag racing with 1/8 or 1/7 scale 4WD whips making liberal use of tire sauce to glue them to the pavement. The launches are just brutal. Yeah it gets a bit messy but, nothing a shower head and warm water can't solve.
Yup, if Arrma would make an upgrade solid rear axle part for the Mojave (and maybe Senton) I‘d try it. Would be nice to switch according to what driving style you are looking for.
I’m pretty sure my next RC has a solid rear axle. Chances are it’s this one:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/1-7-scale-yikong-bronco-desert-truck.64071/
The only real problem would be the chassis as the vehicles with a solid axle/trailing arms, are essentially missing the rear half or third of the chassis where the axle is suspended in mid air on the desert trucks by the trailing arms and shocks/dampers. Not that you couldn't just saw the rear part off a stock Mojave or Infraction chassis and get to work on Jerry rigging the rear end of a UDR on there...

Last edited:
The launches are just brutal. Yeah it gets a bit messy but, nothing a shower head and warm water can't solve.
😂
The only real problem would be the chassis as the vehicles with a solid axle/trailing arms, are essentially missing the rear half or third of the chassis where the axle is suspended in mid air on the desert trucks by the trailing arms and shocks/dampers. Not that you couldn't just saw the rear part off a stock Mojave or Infraction chassis and get to work on Jerry rigging the rear end of a UDR on there...
I think you probably could. A stock Mojo with a donor SBR chassis and rear trailing arms and other suspension components. Hmmmmm……

I'm focusing in crawlers right now and building them up with scale goodies. Fun thing to do in the comfort of being indoors.

I'm actually picking up those LX Shocks myself @Dan B. @Diem Turner for my incoming Yikong YK4073 TB7 Bronco. I've been texting the owner back and forth in some custom work for the Bronco as we believe they're the same geometry as the UDR. We're also brainstorming some ideas for my Losi RZR Rey as well. @Sandracer_NL I told him to do more R&D on the TB7 and he said ok (you’re welcome).

I'll have to post photos once it's done.

I've been tinkering with my Mojo EXB as well @Sandracer_NL as shockingly I’m actually happy with the stock setup since I only ever bash it scale with my friends on the construction lots with their UDR, Mojo, RZR Rey, etc. As you know, my TB7 is coming in to stir up the DR pot.

@Dan B. just sounds like you need some inspiration to keep adding wrinkles to your brain and stave off some of the cabin fever.

IMG_0772.jpeg
IMG_0963.jpeg

(Sold this because it’s a terribly handling “trophy truck”, even worse than the UDR)

IMG_0547.jpeg
IMG_0344.jpeg

(The Losi RZR Rey is actually 1/6.7 scale, so it plays in the same field as the UDR and Mojo)

anyways…you have a lot of options in your collection
IMG_0793.jpeg

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this too and have a list of too many to choose from.

For whatever it's worth, my list, no particular order.
  • Team Associated RC10B - Local track, never done it but looks like fun.
  • Vanquish VRD Carbon or Axial SCX10 Pro - Rock Crawler kit
  • Arrma Mojave 4S - Looks good but bad body? Could sell the Slash.
  • Traxxas Maxx - Boo Traxxas, haters reply here. Could sell the Slash.
  • Sell off the SCX24 and get the Furitek Cayman Pro. I just keep dumping money in to the SCX24 and it's never what I want.
  • Something to go under this Capri Body. Some are close, but I can't find anything that is just right.

Eenie.......Meenie......Make a list and number them. Roll some dice. Lol. Have my own dilemmas in that department. Sounds like some good suggestions, though. Been following along with the Rrlarlo's. Looking awesome, BTW. Can't wait to see what you decide.

I'm actually picking up those LX Shocks myself @Dan B. @Diem Turner for my incoming Yikong YK4073 TB7 Bronco. I've been texting the owner back and forth in some custom work for the Bronco as we believe they're the same geometry as the UDR. We're also brainstorming some ideas for my Losi RZR Rey as well. @Sandracer_NL I told him to do more R&D on the TB7 and he said ok (you’re welcome).
Those shocks look freaking amazing. I still can’t believe how reasonably priced they are, too.
@Dan B. just sounds like you need some inspiration to keep adding wrinkles to your brain and stave off some of the cabin fever.
Dude, the last thing I need is more brain wrinkles. I need a support group!

Guys, guys…. This thread was not to ask for more ideas, you’re killing me here. It was only to move forward with projects I already have sitting around waiting to be built. Any new ideas and I’m pretty sure I’ll be divorced! 😂

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back