Help to decide my next RC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lee82gx

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Notorious
  3. Outcast 6s
Hello everyone, nice to meet all of you. Do you know in 15miles/40km radius of where I live there is probably no one with RC interest in 4 wheel off road? Other than that I call that place home...lol. And other than that, the internet is the only place I can speak to someone who knows the difference between a nut screws washer and bolts. lol.

1. I am now 41, have 2 young but uninterested kids. between that and my wife and a 1:1 job and upcoming Rheumatoid arthritis, I no longer have the time and energy to wrench. Back in the days I literally slept in nitro infused clothes.
2. I bought a new Typhon 3s, saw some shortcomings (plastic chassis for $450?), and a used kraton 6s as an intro, but it has smacked me into reality, there is a lot of maintenance required....to achieve this kind of speed, kinetic energy and tumbling about. I was really attracted by Kelvin Talbot who ensured all of us that we can whack the 6s system to the moon and back and repeat this without necessary wrenching. Arrma marketing is also complicit. Silly me.
Here is a good example I am not a great mechanic anymore
2.1 Much as I like, I do not envision re-building 80 diffs so that I can do it by muscle memory - Mad respects to those in this passion, and can teach freely.
2.2 Catching up on spare parts is taking a toll on my wallet. A diff here, a pack of shims there, fluids here and there, all adds up.

3. The typhon 3s which appears so much more friendly everytime you look at it, save for the fact that I can barely move it around on 2 inch high grass. And there is narry a track nearby for me to do a lap on those 108mm buggy tires.

So question : Is there another model that I can enjoy, with much lower maintenance even at lower speeds? As long as it can move around on sites like these:

I have given up on doing mad jumps and backflips and what not. But I do not want to "crawl" at 5km/h. How about 40km/h top speeds?

I don't mind spending on a new kit (up to $700, hopefully including critical spares). Here are the options in my country:
1. Tamiya - I know - the horror of ABS plastics
2. Arrma (obviously)
3. Traxxas
4. Losi (arent they just from the same factory as Arrma?)
5. Corally (only 1 dealer in the whole country, yikes)
6. Serpent (same as above)
7. Chinese XYZ/ABC/MJX/HBX etc brands
8. Repair my kraton and take it easy, go 4s / 50% throttle etc.
9. Save the money and time, fly a Mavic drone you already have you idiot.

Bash me, or help me!

I cannot buy these brands :
Team associated.
Tekno - Only complete kits available, by 1 single dealer.

Hello everyone, nice to meet all of you. Do you know in 15miles/40km radius of where I live there is probably no one with RC interest in 4 wheel off road? Other than that I call that place home...lol. And other than that, the internet is the only place I can speak to someone who knows the difference between a nut screws washer and bolts. lol.

1. I am now 41, have 2 young but uninterested kids. between that and my wife and a 1:1 job and upcoming Rheumatoid arthritis, I no longer have the time and energy to wrench. Back in the days I literally slept in nitro infused clothes.
2. I bought a new Typhon 3s, saw some shortcomings (plastic chassis for $450?), and a used kraton 6s as an intro, but it has smacked me into reality, there is a lot of maintenance required....to achieve this kind of speed, kinetic energy and tumbling about. I was really attracted by Kelvin Talbot who ensured all of us that we can whack the 6s system to the moon and back and repeat this without necessary wrenching. Arrma marketing is also complicit. Silly me.
Here is a good example I am not a great mechanic anymore
2.1 Much as I like, I do not envision re-building 80 diffs so that I can do it by muscle memory - Mad respects to those in this passion, and can teach freely.
2.2 Catching up on spare parts is taking a toll on my wallet. A diff here, a pack of shims there, fluids here and there, all adds up.

3. The typhon 3s which appears so much more friendly everytime you look at it, save for the fact that I can barely move it around on 2 inch high grass. And there is narry a track nearby for me to do a lap on those 108mm buggy tires.

So question : Is there another model that I can enjoy, with much lower maintenance even at lower speeds? As long as it can move around on sites like these:

I have given up on doing mad jumps and backflips and what not. But I do not want to "crawl" at 5km/h. How about 40km/h top speeds?

I don't mind spending on a new kit (up to $700, hopefully including critical spares). Here are the options in my country:
1. Tamiya - I know - the horror of ABS plastics
2. Arrma (obviously)
3. Traxxas
4. Losi (arent they just from the same factory as Arrma?)
5. Corally (only 1 dealer in the whole country, yikes)
6. Serpent (same as above)
7. Chinese XYZ/ABC/MJX/HBX etc brands
8. Repair my kraton and take it easy, go 4s / 50% throttle etc.
9. Save the money and time, fly a Mavic drone you already have you idiot.

Bash me, or help me!
Do what your heart desires...👍no matter what you choose just always enjoy the hobby..maybey someday your kids will enjoy the hobby with you..maybey even the wifey 😁👍.. definitely get that kraton fixed up... Jenny's Rc has cheap stock parts ...good luck my friend

Kraton 6s or Outcast would be good for rough terrain with rocks like that.
If you want it to last forever with minimal repairs run it on 4s power with the speed pinion installed. Most of the damage on 6s rigs is people landing from a jump while on throttle that destroys the diffs. I have never had a part fail on a 6s rig that wasn't my fault (bad driving).

You could also run another rig like the Typhon 6s and just put the larger tires from the outcast on it.
You can find good deals on used Typhon 6s rigs some times. Even the classifieds here on the forum can be a good place to find a deal on a used rig.

Run any arrma 6s on 4s and you should be fine indeed.
Just fix up the kraton, don't send it to the moon and your maintenance will be limited.

Losi maintenance is a lot more work.

ps. Flying a mavic drone is boring. Try a real fpv drone

Kraton 6s or Outcast would be good for rough terrain with rocks like that.
If you want it to last forever with minimal repairs run it on 4s power with the speed pinion installed. Most of the damage on 6s rigs is people landing from a jump while on throttle that destroys the diffs. I have never had a part fail on a 6s rig that wasn't my fault (bad driving).

You could also run another rig like the Typhon 6s and just put the larger tires from the outcast on it.
You can find good deals on used Typhon 6s rigs some times. Even the classifieds here on the forum can be a good place to find a deal on a used rig.
Do you not have to "service the diffs" every 20 packs per manual? Re-fluid the shocks every 10 runs?
I didnt even jump on my run that my diff gave out - although that's now likely my due to my poor re-assembly.

I'm just a bit cheesed if now I have accept the fact that I must also treat a 6s rig like a 1:1 car...because I really like driving my real car and sending it for service for fee.

I foolishly thought the 2 years warranty meant the car can be driven hard from new, for like 104 weeks x 10 packs a week without need to do much maintenance. And deduct 50-60 packs that my previous owner drove, I'd still have a good 50 runs left...I'm now left with re-building diffs, changing drive cups, deepening the bulkhead screws due to worn threads, or widening M3 to M4....everywhere I look. And thats just after a measly 5 packs worth of running "to iron things out".

Do you not have to "service the diffs" every 20 packs per manual? Re-fluid the shocks every 10 runs?
I didnt even jump on my run that my diff gave out - although that's now likely my due to my poor re-assembly.

I'm just a bit cheesed if now I have accept the fact that I must also treat a 6s rig like a 1:1 car...because I really like driving my real car and sending it for service for fee.

I foolishly thought the 2 years warranty meant the car can be driven hard from new, for like 104 weeks x 10 packs a week without need to do much maintenance. And deduct 50-60 packs that my previous owner drove, I'd still have a good 50 runs left...I'm now left with re-building diffs, changing drive cups, deepening the bulkhead screws due to worn threads, or widening M3 to M4....everywhere I look. And thats just after a measly 5 packs worth of running "to iron things out".
I didnt own a basher for very long.
I switched fully to only doing speed runs so I am not the best to answer this. I suspect many don't service their rigs that often.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back