Typhon Typhon 3S - Mojave 4S suspension arms and CVD's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neelis

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
Hi all, recently I bought a second hand Typhon Mega for a reasonable price.
Idea is to convert it to 3S brushless and that will happen soon, expect to pick up the parts tomorrow.

20230314_153347.jpg

Done so far:
- Purchased 2S lipo
- Purchased and mounted original wheels
- 60wt oil in shocks
- Removed 1 preload ring from the shocks, that did improve the handling
- Pinon gears came off, remounted and applied some thread lock

Future parts:
- Hobbywing Ezrun Max10 SCT ESC
- Hobbywing 3660SL 3200kv motor
- Driveshaft bearing
- 48dp 17t 5mm pinion
- 3s turnbuckles to fix extreme toe out
- 10.000cst oil for rear diff, 30.000cst oil for front diff
- Convert to EC5 connectors

Let's see how long the 48dp slipper clutch assembly holds up, if it fails, I know what to upgrade.
Also want to fix the wheel wobble, I find the engineering of that assembly a bit poor to be honest.

So, tomorrow I expect to have a nice update :)

Last edited:
Picked up the parts today
20230328_115754.jpg

Ow yes, brushless baby!
20230328_115917.jpg

This seems about right
20230328_121904.jpg

Job done
20230328_155954.jpg

Was a pretty straight forward job. Converted to EC5, put the on/off switch in a convenient spot, charged the battery and gave it a try on 2S, yeah baby yeah, this is some power :)
Linking the transmitter to the ESC was a little challenge. The transmitter does not work until you power up the receiver first. But the ESC wants the transmitter to be turned on first, before linking. In the end I made it happen, but it took some effort.

Not a big fan of this transmitter, but it works:
20230315_190603.jpg

Installed the turnbuckle units to adjust the toe in/out. Some sad pieces of equipment, but we will work with it.

Future plans:
- 3S lipos
- DumboRC with gyro receiver
- upgrade the servo

Just went out for a bash and that was enjoyable :D Have to admit that I was expecting a bit more top speed with 2S and brushless and I see that I want this thing to be mental, a handful, so time for 3S lipos I guess.
Everything held well, except for the body, I cracked it.
Struggled a bit with full speed turns in the grass, keeps flipping over. Will play a bit with the pretension rings on the shock and see how that works out.

20230330_195357.jpg

Video over the flip:

Last edited:
Just went out for a bash and that was enjoyable :D Have to admit that I was expecting a bit more top speed with 2S and brushless and I see that I want this thing to be mental, a handful, so time for 3S lipos I guess.
Everything held well, except for the body, I cracked it.
Struggled a bit with full speed turns in the grass, keeps flipping over. Will play a bit with the pretension rings on the shock and see how that works out.

View attachment 289271

Video over the flip:
Looking good! I just installed a wheelie bar and some Rpm arms to adjust the height. Gonna give it a try later.

I get it already regarding the top speed 'disappointment'.

The Mega has a 91t slipper clutch gear, the 3s/4s is 57t. In my mind I was theoretically comparing my setup with a 3s setup in terms of top speed, but I understand now why my expectation where wrong.

I am running 17/91 vs a stock 3s that is 15/57.
That makes a huge difference in top speed.

I am drunk, not sure what your excuse is, but you totally interpreted that fully ass-backward. I will assume you are a youngster that takes offense at everything and unsub this thread and block/ignore you.

Back