Typhon 3s Motor + Esc Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedrockJr

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I like my typhon 3s but i wanna go faster and with the research I have done in the forum alot of people like them TP motors. So i was wondering if i could get away with a max8 esc with a TP 4060 2620kv. I belive it would fit if I 2 sided tapped and zip tied the esc down on top of the original location. Getting the motor out would become a little of a process but that is fine. I guess I am asking if it is dumb to do this.

If this helps I do not ever bash or off road it so.

That is a much heavier motor and esc. And 4S batteries are heavier too.

I can’t speak from personal experience, but all that extra weight may change how the car handles.

I'd suggest a smaller can like the 4030 2750kv it's only 40x67mm or maybe a 4040 2750kv which is 40x74mm and both are only 396g over the 4060 being 94mm long and 455g

Well i take it camping mostly so I just take it in straight lines up and down while the local kids race it with there bikes so I am not worried about handling
id the weight thing really going to be that much of an issue if i am not bashing or racing it. i guess i really just do mini speed runs with it. New to this and just trying to understand

Well i take it camping mostly so I just take it in straight lines up and down while the local kids race it with there bikes so I am not worried about handling
id the weight thing really going to be that much of an issue if i am not bashing or racing it. i guess i really just do mini speed runs with it. New to this and just trying to understand
Running these things on 4s is a blast. It's faster than my 6s truck. But you will want metal diffs and such

dang It is puzzling me if that extra weight will be that big of a problem for my application

I was lookin at that 2750kv and the make V is 21 compared to the 25ish V i had picked out originally. Not a big deal but what would the difference be in heat?

now looking at them. they are shorter in length so what are the advantages and disadvantages of the shorter vs longer motor length

well that really does not help with my choice. I don't do anything other then pretty much speed run the car so I really don't know which would help me or even be a smart upgrade from the stock 3200kv motor it came with
Would you do the 4040 or the 4060 in the typhon 3s

Last edited:
Personally, I'd just drop a 6s esc in and run it on 4s for awhile, then maybe 6s. Like @ABabyEater did.

You might need to replace a motor bearing before long.

Or you could drop a 6s esc and a 2400kv motor in like I did. It was good for mid 90's with factory slipper and 27t pinion. I haven't found its upper end since I built the 38t spool.

well i was going to do a max8 esc but after some looking did not find anyone who has put a tp4060 [biggest motor it can hold I Think] in a typhon 3s and is how this thread came about
Was going to order the stuff for a mod 1 pinion and 38t spool but did not know if my motor choice was extreme or not. all i knew was the fastest cars where using big motors so i guess i wanted to follow along.
-
Wait a second. if the longer the motor the more torque it makes then the more extreme gearing it can handle? so my 26t pinion to 38t spur would want/need the 4060, assuming it all fits and things, or am i going at it the wrong way?

Last edited:
Work up to it.
My 2400kv/firma150 combo hasn't gotten over 140f yet, and has been super reliable- even with 90mph tomahawks. It ran 97 on its shakedown run with the spool. I haven't had it back out since- got too busy.
20210702_215410.jpg
20210702_215426.jpg
20210702_215502.jpg

@ABabyEater went full.potato with his senton today and mounted up a 2050kv/firma150 setup on a spool. I think it's geared pretty close to 1:1...
20210702_215552.jpg

It threw a battery at 90 today, mid barrel roll 😖
20210702_165035.jpg

I predict more carnage to come...

Yeah i understand the working up 2 it. I did not plan on doing the motor upgrade YET but wanted 2 see how the car does on the spool first. today was been a day tho for my typhon. esc cut off twice today. been a day. definitely should upgrade the esc sooner then later 2 maybe a firma 150a or the max8. idk really know. I justed thinking what the biggest motor a typhon 3s could hold then wondered how dumb or smart it would be. I don't see nothin wrong with it as long it fits so maybe one day i will throw a tp4060 @ 2400kv ish in it and see how it does after i get bored of the spool i will definitely try this. well addicted to speed with no end in sight. thanks for your time!

Work up to it.
My 2400kv/firma150 combo hasn't gotten over 140f yet, and has been super reliable- even with 90mph tomahawks. It ran 97 on its shakedown run with the spool. I haven't had it back out since- got too busy.
View attachment 155605View attachment 155607View attachment 155608

@ABabyEater went full.potato with his senton today and mounted up a 2050kv/firma150 setup on a spool. I think it's geared pretty close to 1:1... View attachment 155610
It threw a battery at 90 today, mid barrel roll 😖
View attachment 155612
I predict more carnage to come...
Not close to, it is 1:1

Not close to, it is 1:1
dang.
-
well after some measuring and messing around with the good ol typhon. the 4060 will fit if i 2 sided tape the max8 on top of the reciever box. so whenever i get bored of it. I know what is next :)

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back