Typhon Typhon gearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overvolted

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Typhon 3s
Got this typhon for free. It is running 3s BLX stock esc and a Spectrum 3300KV motor. My friend said the guy he got it from was trying to speed run it. When I ran it, it seem slow so I pulled the power module out to look at the slipper and gears. it has a metal 91T spur with a 23T pinion and im pretty sure the diffs have stock gearing but have not verified yet. Is the spur attached to a spool? Perhaps I didn't give it enough time to get to top speed. What all do you guys think of this setup? is it good for a beginner speed run setup?

20230803_023500.jpg

20230803_023417.jpg

20230721_211622.jpg

20230721_205904.jpg

Got this typhon for free. It is running 3s BLX stock esc and a Spectrum 3300KV motor. My friend said the guy he got it from was trying to speed run it. When I ran it, it seem slow so I pulled the power module out to look at the slipper and gears. it has a metal 91T spur with a 23T pinion and im pretty sure the diffs have stock gearing but have not verified yet. Is the spur attached to a spool? Perhaps I didn't give it enough time to get to top speed. What all do you guys think of this setup? is it good for a beginner speed run setup?

View attachment 315322

View attachment 315323

View attachment 315324

View attachment 315325
It's a mega, and yes that's the reason it's so slow, swap that spur gear for a 50t.. and no it's attached to a slipper clutch, you could spool it if you want to speed run, if just bashing then prolly not, however I have bashed mine on a spool on 3s clocking 75 and it held up very well, same goes for the stocker composite diffs!! 😎

Thanks, I will try the 50T. I'd like to keep it a street bash car and get some experience speed running it. Should I keep the 23T pinion in it and what kind of speed do you think I'd be able to get out of it?

Thanks, I will try the 50T. I'd like to keep it a street bash car and get some experience speed running it. Should I keep the 23T pinion in it and what kind of speed do you think I'd be able to get out of it?
No your gonna have to change the pinion if you change the spur, that is a HR spur with a 48p, if you change to 50t spur your gonna need a 32p which is a .8 mod spur gear!

By the looks of it, seems to have originally been a Mega brushed Typhon? Because of the Front Fixed camber links?:unsure:
But surely in its current config, is worthy of speed running. You will need belted tires to sustain 80+mph .

it was basket case when I got it, had a blx esc that was sketchy so I swapped in an extra I had from the big rock. going to order up some gears tonight. appreciate the info on the gears.

You gear reduction is 91/23=3.96
A stock 3s Typhon has 57/15=3.8
This means you are running a bigger reduction then the stock 3s.

When I run 57/17 with stock wheels in de grass, my 3200kv, the motor overheats without fan.

If you want to speed run, you need to find balance between you wheel size, gearing and temperature of the motor.

91/23 is for sure too much reduction. The pitch of those gear is 48dp.
When you go to stock slipper clutch of the 3s, the pitch is 0.8 mod. That means you need to change the pinion gear as well.

I have seen people reaching up to 60mph with stock wheels with 57/20.

Great info. I may try 57/20 and go from there. 60ish mph should be ok for my tires although they are a little beat. its still 110° here so I have a little time to get things sorted out.

I got my gears in the other day, went to replace the spur and it does not seem to be compatible with the slipper that was in there. Can I modify it or do I need a stock style slipper clutch? The black collar on the shaft seems to be too long.
20230819_102100.jpg

I want to go back to Arrma parts. Do you happen to know the part number off hand for just the slipper clutch? Everything i found so far comes with the spur. I need the whole clutch assy as there is a piece broken off on the outdrive that goes into the diff.

I want to go back to Arrma parts. Do you happen to know the part number off hand for just the slipper clutch? Everything i found so far comes with the spur. I need the whole clutch assy as there is a piece broken off on the outdrive that goes into the diff.
Oh my bad, it looks like you have everything but the pads, I wanna say it's a mega Typhon!?

Last edited:
It is a mega but I'm running 3s blx motor and electronics.
I can get the gear on but there are not enough threads showing to thread the nut and spring back on.

Hold on let me see it's been awhile since I had to swap a mega.. you might use the collar hell I forget!! 🥴

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230819-150009.png
    Screenshot_20230819-150009.png
    395.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back