Typhon Typhon on 6s, motor overheats

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Typhon 6s
Hey all, so i just ran my typhon blx 6s yeterday for the first time on 6s,running a 16 tooth pinion, i have a mamba monster x esc. But running with the stock motor, she flies, but i noticed as was running it, it stopped abruptly, i heard beeps from the esc indicating the motor has overheated, but the motor is sensorless.

Your ESC will probably have overheated, don't think your ESC can tell if the motor has.. could be wrong on that one though?

The same temps apply for pretty much every BL motor and esc, including the castle ones, check your drivetrain is free running and gear mesh set correctly...
Take breaks between packs to let things cool down etc..

180*F max for the motor, ideally 120-160*F

Same for the esc.

140*F max for lipos, ideally 100-120*F

Hot motor + cool esc and batts = undergeared.
Cool motor + hot esc and batts = over geared.
Hot everything = way overgeared.
Warm everything = correctly geared.

You didnt say where you were running it? Constant full throttle running through grass will heat things up rather nicely, depends really how hot the esc was too ( check at the bullets, and through the casing to get a reading from the heatsink ). You will need an IR temp gun to get any kind of accurate reading, or a physical contact on-board temp gauge.

Hey all, so i just ran my typhon blx 6s yeterday for the first time on 6s,running a 16 tooth pinion, i have a mamba monster x esc. But running with the stock motor, she flies, but i noticed as was running it, it stopped abruptly, i heard beeps from the esc indicating the motor has overheated, but the motor is sensorless.
WOT on asphalt for extended periods will also heat it up quick. If you are constantly making fast passes up and down the road, you'll need to stop and let it cool down occasionally. A temp gun will tell the tale, so if you don't have one, now's a good time to invest.

Yep, makes sense..
Too many variables but it would probably a bit more accurate to say Overgeared - Esc overheats first?
I’m not questioning your judgement don’t get me wrong... I will say, in all of my scenarios where I’m overgeared, the motor always gets hot quicker than the esc. Even on my non mamba monster truck (I’ve never had a mamba monster get hot before a motor) the senton 6s, with a 21T pinion the motor always hits 180 before the esc hits 140.

I’m not questioning your judgement don’t get me wrong... I will say, in all of my scenarios where I’m overgeared, the motor always gets hot quicker than the esc. Even on my non mamba monster truck (I’ve never had a mamba monster get hot before a motor) the senton 6s, with a 21T pinion the motor always hits 180 before the esc hits 140.

No, I'm totally fine with being put straight on something. I don't have a ton of experience on the surface side of RC... I've just read a lot of stuff on the net and its not always accurate.. or just doesn't always cross over into different applications in comparing air to surface. No offence taken.

Your ESC will probably have overheated, don't think your ESC can tell if the motor has.. could be wrong on that one though?

The same temps apply for pretty much every BL motor and esc, including the castle ones, check your drivetrain is free running and gear mesh set correctly...
Take breaks between packs to let things cool down etc..

180*F max for the motor, ideally 120-160*F

Same for the esc.

140*F max for lipos, ideally 100-120*F

Hot motor + cool esc and batts = undergeared.
Cool motor + hot esc and batts = over geared.
Hot everything = way overgeared.
Warm everything = correctly geared.

You didnt say where you were running it? Constant full throttle running through grass will heat things up rather nicely, depends really how hot the esc was too ( check at the bullets, and through the casing to get a reading from the heatsink ). You will need an IR temp gun to get any kind of accurate reading, or a physical contact on-board temp gauge.
Speed runs on streets
I also use it for bashing in the dirt too

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back