Typhon Typhon TLR: your thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTitanium

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. BigRock 4x4
  3. Granite Grom
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Nero
  6. Infraction 4x4
Local has this for sale. Seems strong. Super clean. Reeds Racing 1900kv motor matched to an XR8 SCT esc. Body, battery, and charger not included. Besides that, she’s RTR.

Is this considered a good find? What can one expect from this? I ask as I never owned a Typhon.

IMG_2147.jpeg

IMG_2148.jpeg

IMG_2149.jpeg

I am very happy with my TLR, and it is used for bashing only and 4S only. If you want to send it to the moon, I would recommend the Typhon v5 but if track running it or just regular bashing and the price is right gets my vote.

Best of luck (y)

Is this considered a good find? What can one expect from this? I ask as I never owned a Typhon.
That depends on the price.

Looks clean though and good electronics. Sensored always drives better. Heads up that 4S ESC isn’t waterproof, though it is very high quality.

Typhons are one of the best RCs out there. Tough and fast.

I have multiple Typhons that all have been modified to one degree or more. But like @dure16 says, it's all about the price. But if I had to guess on a price on this one, I'm thinking about $700 buckeroos. Something along those lines.

The Roller version like here could be had NIB for around $369. when it was available. Best price. What I paid for mine.
The RTR TLRT version is only available now at $629. Includes Spektrum 6s electrics. Subpar compared to the premium sensored HW 4s ESC and motor seen here.
This one appears to be in pristine condition.(y) Hopefully all the Hinge Pin mount extras in the box are included as well. You would want them as spares etc.
I see he added the Arrma EXB Red alloy front and rear braces. Stockers are plastic ones. I did this same upgrade also. The RTR TLRT Blue body can be had for $25. from JennysRC.com. Or you can buy a clear Proline Typhon specific Axis body, and paint one up. I have that also.
Not sure what he wants for it, but I say $500.00 give or take is about right for this one. No more IMHO. $700. is way too much. It is not truly brand new and comes without any 2 year Arrma or Hobbywing warranty. And no body. If that matters in the big scope of things.
Not sure if you want to actually race this at a track. But is doable. These TLRT's are great with just 4s lipo packs. Track use is also limited to 4s packs as a rule. I tried it with 6s packs. Way overpowered IMHO. Yet many do bash with them running 6s packs. I don't recommend the TLRT Typhon for hard bashing like @parcou stated. I would go with the standard $500.00 RTR Typhon V5 version for hard big Air bashing.
Good luck.:cool:

Last edited:
Thanks @ everyone.

Can anyone comment on the shocks on these? Jennys has been selling them significantly cheaper than the regular v5 shocks. I'm thinking to put them on my 3S Typhon to replace the cheapie Amazon ones I'm running now (which replaced the leaky garbage plastic ones that came with it).

Can anyone comment on the shocks on these? Jennys has been selling them significantly cheaper than the regular v5 shocks. I'm thinking to put them on my 3S Typhon to replace the cheapie Amazon ones I'm running now (which replaced the leaky garbage plastic ones that came with it).
Very good. They have better internals than the V5 shocks.

Many not in the know, would not think the TLRT shocks are good. They are the best 6s shocks Arrma has. With all Delrin internals and an X-ring instead of O-ring. Very plush.

Last edited:
Any of the 6s shocks can benefit from using the complete set of TLRT delrin parts and the X-rings.
Then make them Emulsion shocks and you have the plushest setp.

As an update to my earlier post in this thread I put the 6s TLR shocks on my 3s Typhon and they are absolutely amazing. They have that same "zero rebound" character as the shocks on my 6S Kraton with the M2C pistons.

It's also amazing how JennysRC has them for so cheap.(y)
I think all the TLRT Delrin parts, tapered pistons and X-rings alone separately purchased at retail, cost more than buying the complete TLRT Shocks from JennysRC. So if you want to run these Delrin parts in other 6s shock sizes, its best to just buy the TLRT shocks from JennysRc for the the Delrin and all parts alone. Just remove and re-install them onto any of the other 6s shocks you currently have .
BTW, The X-rings will only work with the complete set of Delrin parts in the bottom cartridge. And always install the tapered piston with the tapered side facing down. You get a quicker rebound. (y) The advantage with tapered pistons.
Use a drop of Blue Threadlocker on the Piston retaining nut/shaft threads. Not overly tight as well. Piston should rotate with very slight resistance using your fingers, yet not rock...then it's too loose.

>>>With a 3s Typhon, I imagine you might need softer springs however, 3s being lighter than the TLRT Typhon??:unsure:

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back