Typhon Typhon truggy wheels and tyres?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martin34

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
Hi guys I am going to build myself a typhon truggy at Christmas.What wheel and tyre set ups are people running?I know the mx28's are very popular.Oh and it will be for bashing on mainly grass.

The issue is there are not many 17mm 2.8 premounts. Proline has the MX28 badlands, and Trenchers, and Redcat has a Terramoto tire. Other than that, there is not much.

You can buy the proline F11 rim it 17mm, and mount whatever you want.

Whatever you buy, be sure to do a wide hex mod, so the rim will not rub the hub.

Thanks.Yes I am buying the kraton hubs and bits at the weekend for it.I am not getting myself the typhon until Christmas but I will have the parts to switch over straight away?

My vote is for the MX28 Badlands by a country mile. I know that @Rich Duperbash loves them on his Typhon as well. I don’t know if a better endorsement then that.

i love mine on the 3s, I was wondering if I should get belted tires for the 6s? will it be an issue?

i love mine on the 3s, I was wondering if I should get belted tires for the 6s? will it be an issue?
I wouldn’t waste the money on the belted ones. I spent too much on the Belted Trenchers and they suck doo doo

Thanks.Yes I am buying the kraton hubs and bits at the weekend for it.I am not getting myself the typhon until Christmas but I will have the parts to switch over straight away?

Hold your fire-

You may want to rethink this. I agree that typhon is a great car, and a trugggified Typhon makes a great basher, BUT!

For bashing in grass, Kraton beats truggy typhon every time, in every way. Most of us that have truggies our typhons (and Sentons) do it because we are disappointed with how it bashes stock. Yeah, it is fast, and handles tracks great, but stock 1/8 bug and SCT just don't bash great in grass.

For the money you will spend on all the bits and parts and tires, just get the Kraton, or Talion. Longer, wider, bigger tires, they will bash better, and can actually put 6s power to the ground without handling like an over caffinated squirrel.

Now if you just like buggies, and think the trucks are ugly (or some other reason), then, carry on. ? but understand a stock Kraton will out bash a truggified Typhon, and be cheaper.

Thanks mate but I already have a kraton v4.I want the Typhon as I have always loved the look of truggyfied buggies and I am getting my son the Typhon blx 3s for Christmas.That way we will both have Typhon's ?

My vote is for the MX28 Badlands by a country mile. I know that @Rich Duperbash loves them on his Typhon as well. I don’t know if a better endorsement then that.
Thread resurrection....

If you run the Proline MX28s in a Typhon 3s would you need to change the pinion? Is there any risk of burning out the motor with MX28's?

Thread resurrection....

If you run the Proline MX28s in a Typhon 3s would you need to change the pinion? Is there any risk of burning out the motor with MX28's?
The mx28's def grip hard and sling rocks! The tires are physically about the same height, but a little wider. I'd watch high grip surfaces for fear of stripping the plastic diff gears.

The mx28's def grip hard and sling rocks! The tires are physically about the same height, but a little wider. I'd watch high grip surfaces for fear of stripping the plastic diff gears.
Cheers mate. Will be running them off road

Thread resurrection....

Yes due to the weight, I would go to an 18T or lower. I believe the stock pinion is a 20T.

Yes due to the weight, I would go to an 18T or lower. I believe the stock pinion is a 20T.
Have a 15t in mine (v3) is that OK to run with the badlands or would I need to gear up? Maybe an 18t is a nice midpoint?

Have a 15t in mine (v3) is that OK to run with the badlands or would I need to gear up? Maybe an 18t is a nice midpoint?
15T will be fine. You might want more wheel speed for flips and air control, but otherwise it should rip

Did you end up buying the badlands for your V3? If so, thoughts?
Hi yea I ran it with the Badlands and a 15t pinion drove great loads of traction especially for off road bashing. When I run them with the 18t pinion my motor gets too hot though

Hi yea I ran it with the Badlands and a 15t pinion drove great loads of traction especially for off road bashing. When I run them with the 18t pinion my motor gets too hot though
How did you mount the tires? Did you get extenders or did the 6x30mm to 17mm adapters give you enough room to mount the tires without rubbing the body?

Hi guys I am going to build myself a typhon truggy at Christmas.What wheel and tyre set ups are people running?I know the mx28's are very popular.Oh and it will be for bashing on mainly grass.
I run duratrax xcons with hub extensions and a bigger fan for heat. Never had an issue for the last 4 months.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back