Typhon Upgrade Mega 4X4 or save for a new truck?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuffolkTyphon

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Typhon 3s
Hi all,

I've got a Typhon Mega 4x4 which I find great fun running stock on 2s lipos.
I'd like a little bit more speed out of it and will be gearing up to a 17t pinion.

However...I'd like a brushless rig sometime. But I'm not sure if it's worth upgrading this truck or would it be more sensible to save for a new one?

This is not the version 3 this is the previous one.

There was an old thread I've read where someone else did the same, but they never posted the results!

Thanks in advance

Thanks Grimbles. Yeah I enjoy the wrenching. It's half the fun of owning an RC car for me!

If I went ahead and did the upgrade (I'm thinking hobbywing Max10 with 3650 motor) would I need to do the slipper, spur and diff inputs/outputs or could I run it as is and just replace things as they snap?

Thanks Grimbles. Yeah I enjoy the wrenching. It's half the fun of owning an RC car for me!

If I went ahead and did the upgrade (I'm thinking hobbywing Max10 with 3650 motor) would I need to do the slipper, spur and diff inputs/outputs or could I run it as is and just replace things as they snap?
Bit of both. I had the same model as you and its a bit like trigger's broom now. The chassis is still original but thats about it. For drivetrain, going to 3s, you will need fairly quickly:

1) 3s slipper, spur and pinion;
2) new bearings all around;
3) high speed driveshaft support and bearing;
4) new power module with aluminium plate (i have one spare, will sell for £5 + postage if you want it, pm me); and
5) new servo.

With you on the wrenching mate - It's been a fun journey so far for me but you will spend more doing it this way.
* as well as the diff inputs which you already identified!

I lol'd at the comment about Triggers broom! I don't think there is that many people on here that would get that ?

I'm really torn on what to do at the moment. I enjoy it as is so I'm tempted to leave it. I'm getting my boy either the V3 or the 3S for Christmas so he'll probably give me enough to do with his truck so I get my wrenching fix!

Might treat myself to a new truck later next year ?

I was in the same situation and I decided to purchase a 3S V3. I transplanted the electronics, diffs and input gear from the V3 to the Mega and I now have loads of spare parts (chassis, a-arm, wheels, hubs, shocks, shock towers, etc.)

If you have the funds to buy a new V3, I think this is the best strategy to convert a V2 Mega to brushless. More expensive to begin with, but you'll be happy to have these spares when you need them.

Treat yourself to a new rig, maybe even a different flavor of Arrma for some variety. ;) You really can't go wrong.

We have a prolly 1200 CAD V2 granite mega. We at this point have replaced every single part on it. It's now a max10 sct 3200 kv typhon 3S right down to chassis, wing and a arms, a kraton body with the tires off a Mojave.

In retrospect it was incredibly stupid but we learned so much about the truck and it legitimately outperforms my typhon 3S which is basically stock except for wheels and pinion by a fair margin. We should have saved up and got another truck but we'd have a broken failure instead of our incredibly bad ass custom af machine. I dunno. It was expensive af to do what we did but the journey was so worth it.

Purely on finances you're better to get a new truck but if you can afford the experience of breaking every single part and replacing it I highly recommend sticking with the one model. It's very satisfying. But stupid. We could be blasting a Felony or something at this point. But we'd have a sad broken granite mega staring us in the face all the time in the garage.

Maybe don't fall into the same sunk cost fallacy we did. Get a new truck. But I would say a new truck breaks the same as an old truck.

Thanks all for the replies. Great stuff!

We'll, I'm getting my son either the 3S Typhon or Granite for Christmas so there's a the new truck.

BUT...I'll need to keep up with him ?

Get the Bigrock over the Granite, handles sooo much better! ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back