Granite V2 granite BLX 4x4 3S. Just upgrading as thing wear out/break.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssands85

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I bought this granite almost two years ago now, and bashed a bit on 2S getting used to running it. Breaking stuff and upgrading as I went. So far, I have replaced the leaking stock shocks with the eBay big bore aluminum shocks, and am content with the performance. Haven’t had any leakage issues with them, so it was a lateral parts swap, and not much of an upgrade... replaced the front bumper with the T-bone racing bumper after I smoked the tire of my pickup on ice, and the stocker shattered. Replaced the BLX 100 ESC with a hobbywing, that my buddy had collecting dust on his shelf. But that was because the stock ESC pooped the bed. Then the steering servo crapped out, and I bought a 25kg off of Amazon... took a chance, because it was cheap, and it’s been going strong with stock servo saver all summer. My stock slipper clutch was stripped from the factory, and after trying to loctite it multiple times, I just used red loctite to make it a solid spool. That was great, until I went to 3S, and started destroying axle shaft u-joints. So I wound up going with the updated V3 slipper assembly. I still have the fast eddy sealed bearing kit waiting to be installed, and now I’m just waiting for my RPM front and rear arms, after my daughter introduced the front left arm to the tongue of my trailer, at about 45 mph.... The arm is almost in 3 pieces, and once I get the RPM arms I’ll put some pics up of how everything goes. Haven’t pulled it apart to get a real good look at what else I will need, but hopefully it’s nothing major.

AB9AC025-2EBB-49FE-AEA8-C6A35B01DE21.jpeg

So... I got a chance to actually look at how much damage she did, and hopefully the chassis is ok. She hit so hard, that it knocked the lower spring cup off the eyelet(funny that it didn’t break the eyelet itself....), and she actually bent the spring when it came off. ?. She apparantly takes after me a bit... anyway, I noticed that the shock shaft is bent on that eBay big bore... so I dug around and found my stock shocks but they have no oil.(I knew I bought the big bores for a reason) So I grabbed a set of the HR front, and rear aluminum shock bodies, and I’m hoping that the assortment of TLR shock oil that I ordered off Amazon today will beat them here, along with the motor fan, and the silicone bushings for the shock uppers... But I am also waiting on the RPM arms, and a couple of other parts. Also have been waiting for a damn drive adapter to show up for my cousins rustler. And I think I might just rebuild the shocks on that while I have it.... assuming my shock oil shows up this week...?

So I got a chance to actually disassemble the granite yesterday found an interesting thing or two. The only damage was to the a-arm, and the shock shaft. Other than that She will be up and running as soon as I get my arms and shock bodies to rebuild the factory shocks.
93E00384-3AF4-40B0-BF76-F35B882C277A.jpeg
CAEA79E0-DB67-4477-80F4-81E1B52E0FE5.jpeg

With that said, I noticed that the front diff on my granite had very little grease on the ring gear. So I had some jet lube silicone grease, but I’m not sure if the viscosity. We will see if it was close enough to the correct viscosity. ??‍♂️ Also of note, I noticed that one of the factory axle shafts, and one of the new ones I just purchased had a shorter collar on the driven side.
C574FCA9-4D8D-4E0B-AC8E-AFF54D8837A7.jpeg

and it seems that only one out of 4 has this shorter end??? Not sure that it’s really a big deal. Just kindof interesting...
other than that I am just waiting on parts, and I will be tearing the rest of the dirty dirty girl down and cleaning everything. Then I’m going to have to find a new body for it...
Oh yeah, the mounting screw for that shock was also bent.... but I have a stainless set that I never used from the big bore shocks.
17C2BD40-79BA-4051-A645-45D2D8E97457.jpeg

I also dug into what my buddy gave me for an ESC. It is an older hobby wing Xerun SCT pro! I had to do some digging to figure out the programming, as I also recently destroyed a brand new 3s lipo, by running with no LVC....??‍♂️ Now it’s a 2S??‍♂️... so I will be double checking all of the settings again before I get the granite back out.

So I got a chance to actually disassemble the granite yesterday found an interesting thing or two. The only damage was to the a-arm, and the shock shaft. Other than that She will be up and running as soon as I get my arms and shock bodies to rebuild the factory shocks.View attachment 103722View attachment 103723
With that said, I noticed that the front diff on my granite had very little grease on the ring gear. So I had some jet lube silicone grease, but I’m not sure if the viscosity. We will see if it was close enough to the correct viscosity. ??‍♂️ Also of note, I noticed that one of the factory axle shafts, and one of the new ones I just purchased had a shorter collar on the driven side. View attachment 103724
and it seems that only one out of 4 has this shorter end??? Not sure that it’s really a big deal. Just kindof interesting...
other than that I am just waiting on parts, and I will be tearing the rest of the dirty dirty girl down and cleaning everything. Then I’m going to have to find a new body for it...
Oh yeah, the mounting screw for that shock was also bent.... but I have a stainless set that I never used from the big bore shocks.View attachment 103725
The driveshafts with A and D on the ends are the fronts. The ones with dots are the rears.

Ok so I got antsy... last night after my daughter went to bed I replaced the two wheel bearings, and put the granite back together a little bit. Grabbed my spray can of graphite and lubed everything that moves on that corner... definitely going to order the HR steering bell crank. I can’t believe how much slop is in the stock steering setup. But I regularly have to shake the rocks out of the steering, when running in gravel??‍♂️...
I’m going to pull the power module and check the rear diff today when my daughter is napping. Hopefully it’s got more grease than the front did...

B2C31188-6C67-4189-84D8-D35976AD5E7A.jpeg

774633C5-66E3-417E-965F-3DA8846A5019.jpeg

91ACD9B7-3EA1-4E08-B2AA-8E98F2EA56EC.jpeg

Shock shaft looks bent to me at the bottoms where it goes into the body. Take it out and roll it on a flat surface to check before installing in the new hr bodies You ordered.

Shock shaft looks bent to me at the bottoms where it goes into the body. Take it out and roll it on a flat surface to check before installing in the new hr bodies You ordered.
No, no.......No..... factories, I know the shafts bent.... I’m using the factory shocks that I haven’t been running..... to build the HR bodies

Everything went together very well. The only hiccup I had was trying to figure out how to put the shocks together, but once I got it I couldn’t believe how easy it was....

got it back together, and ran a little bit. Then I heard what sounded like rocks in the power module.... most of the front bearing came out.... but I still have the races stuck on the shaft, and the inside of the motor housing....

C05461FC-00F8-48D8-A504-E195034FD7CB.jpeg

AE7BE7E7-09ED-48B7-BB01-D5D578BBA872.jpeg

A32B0618-4CB8-49C5-990A-4999F5EB2BA7.jpeg

D4FB0E85-78A6-449E-A03B-F9B553BB90FC.jpeg

A0CB51C0-B6F7-4F88-90D1-A68531641A25.jpeg

8B7B2611-CD04-4B23-A53E-73CBEBCA2E1E.jpeg

Might just be time for a new motor
image.jpg

So just a little update.... just got the Xerun 3652 3800KV installed in the power module, after a slipper issue. (The issue is I’m an idiot, and stripped the rear casting whilst messing around putting the granite back together.??‍♂️)

Im running 6pack ST wheels, and I have the motor running sensored.... still running stock gearing, but I also noticed that the steering block on the left front had the pivot broken..... so I ordered some parts. Aluminum C-hubs, and steering blocks. The steering is as tight as I can get it unless I put in an aluminum belcrank...... I don’t particularly like the idea of too many aluminum parts..... makes the turd heavy, and just hastens the demise of the chassis..... anyway got the damn thing back together with a new motor mount..... because that was bent, and I’m thinking it’s what took out the bearings in the motor..... at any rate the thing runs again finally.... but holy crap..... it’s twitchy as hell now.

Last edited:
Just a few pictures of my hack job on the heat sinc, and the whole new setup.
Also I had a little snafu with shock eyelets that didn’t like hard landings in sub 10 degrees Fahrenheit. Found some traxxas parts that can be forced onto the stock 3s NON THREADED shock shafts. Haven’t had any separate yet....?

Also I was just screwing around, and wound up taking some stainless steel plate I had laying around and used it to reinforce the body in the rear of the bed. I was pleasantly surprised to find handling characteristics much improved, with the aluminum hubs up front, and the stainless plate on the rear.... these cars are way overpowered for how light they are. ?

Oh and I had my gear mesh set way too tight on the first go round....??‍♂️

B63F0B73-15A5-4002-A3BC-892F55CBAEE9.jpeg

49CE2E57-7A1D-4903-9FBE-16BAAFCC7A61.jpeg

8AA1AD2C-F0D2-4897-AF09-E7868C5CAAFA.jpeg

8592265B-9023-4236-BA9D-B9FE396B1F7E.jpeg

64456124-18E9-4FDA-A5D5-5CFFE710F3B7.jpeg

524D9E6E-25B5-4D40-A6D4-56FBC415F6B9.jpeg

So the motor has been in the granite a while, and wound up getting a new ESC…. Hobbywing max8 sct pro….(I think). Been loving the setup, but also got my big rockV-3, and finally got the proline power stroke shocks…. I have to say with Losi 40 weight and the green main springs with yellow secondaries….🤯. The big rock is a different animal. Going to be testing some heavier weight oil, and the stiffer speings, but damn…. It keeps the wheels planted…. Still have the random slo-mo roll over, but it handles like it should now.
definitely should have come from the factory with softer springs….
oh yeah, the granite running the V-3 big rock wheels is effing minty….

337F0775-800D-4902-9D1A-5869AA102271.jpeg

A48E72D7-CB99-4C10-BAF8-325113AB99D1.jpeg

36BF783F-D850-4180-A5B5-C3D2509A391F.jpeg

2F873A96-B8CA-406D-B966-5F2A476C6D26.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back