Notorious V5 notorous making horrible clicking sound

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlad102421

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Notorious
Hey so I've had my notorious for a few months, I went threw two sets of differentials all the way around. So I decided to invest in the aluminum differentials and built them and installed them. And it's making a horrible clicking noise like it did when one of the stock diffs went out. So I took it apart and checked them and everything looks perfectly fine so I added some shims to the front and rear and it's still making the clicking sound and I don't know what else to try. So any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

Did the diff turn freely in your hand before you installed it? After you installed it did you check to see if the ring and pinion were turning without binding? Center diff? If all checks out the noise might be from somewhere else.

Sounds like you may have put the diffs in the diff housing the wrong way, where the front and rear diffs are now trying to turn in the opposite way of each other.
If the front or rear diff is open directly in front of you, the spur gear of the diff needs to be on the left side.

Hey so I've had my notorious for a few months, I went threw two sets of differentials all the way around. So I decided to invest in the aluminum differentials and built them and installed them. And it's making a horrible clicking noise like it did when one of the stock diffs went out. So I took it apart and checked them and everything looks perfectly fine so I added some shims to the front and rear and it's still making the clicking sound and I don't know what else to try. So any help and advice would be greatly appreciated
Did you put new ring and pinion gears in when you installed the aluminum diff cups?
When the gears wear out or break they click as they slip past each other. Make sure to put shims on the left or ring gear side in the housings. Shim pushes the ring gear towards the center input gear. If the gear is right on the inside the cup you should be able to turn one wheel and have the wheel on the opposite side rotate in the opposite direction with the wheels off the ground. Try to post a video of the clicking. Someone will definitely be had the same issue to help solve it

Did the diff turn freely in your hand before you installed it? After you installed it did you check to see if the ring and pinion were turning without binding? Center diff? If all checks out the noise might be from somewhere else.
How is your pinion and spur gear. Pinion might have a chipped tooth. Check all your gears for the smallest damage to a gear diff included. Nothing worse than a cricket in your rig!!

Check every sealed bearings. One might of craped out on you.

if none of the above work just keep running it and the problem will probably show its self. my old talion has a clicking noise and I have stripped it numerous times and not found anything wrong but its not got any worse
+1
Yeah if its serious enough , it will present itself. If it drives ok , keep driving it. Sometimes the noise or chatter will even go away with a break-in.
Seems you are chasing a ghost there. It happens. These are not precison Toys. Especially RTR RC diffs. Most any RTR brand. Replacing with an alloy diff wasn't the quick answer. Just throwing $$ at the problem. Hoping for the best. Should have just replaced the Cup with a stocker plastic one first, if anything. I only use Alloy diff cups at the Center. But that's me.

+1
Yeah if its serious enough , it will present itself. If it drives ok , keep driving it. Sometimes the noise or chatter will even go away with a break-in.
Seems you are chasing a ghost there. It happens. These are not precison Toys. Especially RTR RC diffs. Most any RTR brand. Replacing with an alloy diff wasn't the quick answer. Just throwing $$ at the problem. Hoping for the best. Should have just replaced the Cup with a stocker plastic one first, if anything. I only use Alloy diff cups at the Center. But that's me.
Trouble shooting a rc annoying clicking noise 🙄🤷‍♂️🤦

Vlad looks to be chasing a ghost there, having checked it over and over.

@Vlad102421 send a short video and showing the sound it makes.. This helps with sorting this out better.

Yea the diffs turns like it's supposed to
Sounds like you may have put the diffs in the diff housing the wrong way, where the front and rear diffs are now trying to turn in the opposite way of each other.
If the front or rear diff is open directly in front of you, the spur gear of the diff needs to be on the left side.
No they were put in the same way they were taken out
Did you put new ring and pinion gears in when you installed the aluminum diff cups?
When the gears wear out or break they click as they slip past each other. Make sure to put shims on the left or ring gear side in the housings. Shim pushes the ring gear towards the center input gear. If the gear is right on the inside the cup you should be able to turn one wheel and have the wheel on the opposite side rotate in the opposite direction with the wheels off the ground. Try to post a video of the clicking. Someone will definitely be had the same issue to help solve it
No I the factory diff cups are what failed. So I went through all 6 diffs and picked out the best gears and built the front center and rear diff from the best of the bunch
How is your pinion and spur gear. Pinion might have a chipped tooth. Check all your gears for the smallest damage to a gear diff included. Nothing worse than a cricket in your rig!!
The pinion and spur are in perfect condition
Check every sealed bearings. One might of craped out on you.
All the bearings appear perfect

Last edited:

No they were put in the same way they were taken out

No I the factory diff cups are what failed. So I went through all 6 diffs and picked out the best gears and built the front center and rear diff from the best of the bunch

The pinion and spur are in perfect condition

All the bearings appear perfect
Have you checked all the sealed ball bearings in the truck by spinning them with pressure on them. Sometimes if you spin then on the end of your finger you won't feel a problem. I like to push down on them.

One time I had an axle bent just enough to slap the sock spring and sounded like a blown diff. 🤷‍♂️

+1
I replaced the front rear and center all with stock replacement and the plastic diff cups melted and dropped the output drive so I decided to make a little longer lasting replacement

Video please as terminology varies in this hobby.

Also explain your setup if anything is different from an RTR so we can understand all angles. Ring and input pinion are usually the first major issue with a big tire 6S rig and low maintenance. Every 10 packs the bulkhead cover should be pulled off and inspected for engagement even if there is no “clicking” with composite carrier and bulkhead/housing.

Video please as terminology varies in this hobby.

Also explain your setup if anything is different from an RTR so we can understand all angles. Ring and input pinion are usually the first major issue with a big tire 6S rig and low maintenance. Every 10 packs the bulkhead cover should be pulled off and inspected for engagement even if there is no “clicking” with composite carrier and bulkhead/housing.
Everything is stock besides the diff cases. I'll be uploading a video later today

are all your screws tight on the diff case cover and not stripped out that causes clicking if they not tight

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back